F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Just caught a kerb - nail varnish lacquer?
Extreme Powerhouse

06-12-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

Just caught a kerb - nail varnish lacquer?

So the inevitable happened - caught a curb with my 704m's - even saw it coming, so damn angry with myself.

But anyway - its bone dry out there, an its got some light curbage - is it worth applying nail lacquer to it to avoid the white worming? I am hoping for a warranty case on this alloy sometime in the future should the middle go and will pay up the % they ask for for the user caused damage - but figured it might be worth prolonging the white worm

Thoughts? Should this give me any problems?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #2
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

I'd suggest a touch-up 'stick' of clear lacquer from Halfrauds or similar.

Several thin layers will build up a water resistant coat. Picture will help others give best advice on how to treat the damage before 'painting'.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #3
spansar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 M320d, CANCELLED G42 M240i

I have this from Amazon : -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Scratch Doctor AR1-BMW Alloy Wheel Pro Repair Kit £11.95
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 12:03 PM   #4
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by spansar View Post
I have this from Amazon : -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Scratch Doctor AR1-BMW Alloy Wheel Pro Repair Kit £11.95
Does this work on the Diamond cut alloys? Just considering is there really much difference between halfraud lacquer and nail lacquer?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #5
spansar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 M320d, CANCELLED G42 M240i

The wet and dry helped in all 3 stages to smooth out the brush works. I just took my time to let it dry at each stage - i.e 3 days. Same as you I felt angry when I knick the curb and the noise was the worst sound ever. My alloys are diamond cut and for me it passed my inspection.

Not sure about the difference with the clear coat lacquers. The one that came with the pack has xylene in it which may help in brushing it on easily.
Appreciate 1
speedski547.00
      06-12-2018, 02:31 PM   #6
Mike330iLux
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i Lux 2016

I used clear nail varnish, cant really see it unless your up close. Been on since February and still holding up. Cheap enough to top up if required too.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 04:18 AM   #7
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

I would not use nail varnish, I would use a touch up lacquer to stop dirt and water getting into it making it worse.
Make sure you clean the scuff before applying. If required apply several coats.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 06:45 AM   #8
IanW555
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G81 M3T / X5 F15 30d

Garage List
I used the clear lacquer that came with my BMW touch up kit when I scratched my diamond cut wheels.

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 08:50 AM   #9
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP YMB

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedski View Post
So the inevitable happened - caught a curb with my 704m's - even saw it coming, so damn angry with myself.

But anyway - its bone dry out there, an its got some light curbage - is it worth applying nail lacquer to it to avoid the white worming? I am hoping for a warranty case on this alloy sometime in the future should the middle go and will pay up the % they ask for for the user caused damage - but figured it might be worth prolonging the white worm

Thoughts? Should this give me any problems?
I don't think it will make any difference one way or the other - personally I've never fixed any kerbing - it's just one of those things that happens - I've never noticed any corrosion develop from kerbing my diamond cut wheels. If you want to do something to improve what it looks like then up to you - a wheel refurb would be the only thing to impact a warranty claim in my view (and I've had kerbed wheels replaced recently under warranty foc). Sure if you spend all your time driving along kerbs they will try to ask you to chip in for replacement wheels under warranty but it doesn't sound like you are remotely going to be in that camp...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #10
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethbridge View Post
I don't think it will make any difference one way or the other - personally I've never fixed any kerbing - it's just one of those things that happens - I've never noticed any corrosion develop from kerbing my diamond cut wheels. If you want to do something to improve what it looks like then up to you - a wheel refurb would be the only thing to impact a warranty claim in my view (and I've had kerbed wheels replaced recently under warranty foc). Sure if you spend all your time driving along kerbs they will try to ask you to chip in for replacement wheels under warranty but it doesn't sound like you are remotely going to be in that camp...
It's definitely not just one of those things that happens. The last time I curbed a wheel was over 7 years ago and it has scarred me for life. Frankly, I prefer the taxi to the curb option all day long. Personally, I couldn't accept having a wheel that had a gouge out of it, it would need to be pro repaired ASAP or replaced. For those out there that say it's just a car, and one of those things, each to their own...
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #11
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Search on here for the Teaston method of alloy repair.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 03:24 PM   #12
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethbridge View Post
Agreed. I have 2 instances kerbing on one wheel one since last year and there is no corrosion on the kerb narks. Centre of wheel - yes white worm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyalfa View Post
It's definitely not just one of those things that happens. The last time I curbed a wheel was over 7 years ago and it has scarred me for life. Frankly, I prefer the taxi to the curb option all day long. Personally, I couldn't accept having a wheel that had a gouge out of it, it would need to be pro repaired ASAP or replaced. For those out there that say it's just a car, and one of those things, each to their own...
Neither of my kerbings were due to parking.
One, I wasn’t even in the car when it happened! I’d parke about a foot from the kerb in snowy conditions. When I shut the door, the car slid into the kerb. That is really is just one of those things.

I haven’t repaired it because repairing diamomd cut is pointless. They will corrode before the year is put if recut.
I haven’t replaced it because £600 for a wheel is daft when they are prone to corrosion even without Kerbing.
Appreciate 1
spansar50.50
      06-14-2018, 10:23 AM   #13
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320i MSport Auto LCI

I got a touch-up paint from here...

https://www.cartouchuppaints.co.uk/F...ouch-Up-Paint/

...they also sell lacquer. Ordered Saturday, arrived Wednesday. No problems.
Appreciate 0