F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Some Opinions And Advise Required - 335d
proTUNING Freaks

06-08-2018, 04:47 AM   #1
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Taycan Turbo

Some Opinions And Advise Required - 335d

Folks long time reader but only just registered. Looking for some input and advice on what direction to go.

I've previously owned x2 F31's and moved onto an F30 335d M-Sport - I got the car in September on a 67 plate. From day 1 I never loved the car......

Car is Alpine White with Coral Red, M-Sport Plus, Pro Media Plus, heated seats and reverse camera. So not got all the bells and whistles but a decent spec.

The suspension - I can't really can't say anything that's never been said before but what the hell!!

My other major issue was/is that the car just never felt or looked that 'special'. I get that we're talking about a 3 Series so how 'special' can it be. But to the outside world it just looked like the guy across the roads 320d (not being down on a 320d!!).

I asked the question 3 weeks into ownership about chopping but the reality was I knew it was never an option!!

So accepting of the fact that the car is going nowhere any time soon.....

I'm currently looking at throwing £1,500-£2,000 at the car to make me happy. I have a couple of options as I see it but just looking for some opinions and advice on my options.

Option 1 - KW Street Comfort and wheel spacers. I'm seeing this as fixing the suspension issue and giving the car a bit of a beefier appearance.

Option 2 - ACS springs, wheel spacers, Cobra dual exhaust conversion, M-Performance rear diffuser and M-Performance grills. I'm seeing this as 'fixing' the suspension and a few more subtle exterior mods to make the car look a wee bit more 'special'.

I'm leaning towards option 2 on the basis of more bang for your buck but just looking for any opinions or advice that may change my thinking!!

Also has anyone got any idea cost fitting for springs. I'm probably looking at Kenneth Brown in Hillington.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 04:56 AM   #2
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyrshireColin View Post
Folks long time reader but only just registered. Looking for some input and advice on what direction to go.

I've previously owned x2 F31's and moved onto an F30 335d M-Sport - I got the car in September on a 67 plate. From day 1 I never loved the car......

Car is Alpine White with Coral Red, M-Sport Plus, Pro Media Plus, heated seats and reverse camera. So not got all the bells and whistles but a decent spec.

The suspension - I can't really can't say anything that's never been said before but what the hell!!

My other major issue was/is that the car just never felt or looked that 'special'. I get that we're talking about a 3 Series so how 'special' can it be. But to the outside world it just looked like the guy across the roads 320d (not being down on a 320d!!).

I asked the question 3 weeks into ownership about chopping but the reality was I knew it was never an option!!

So accepting of the fact that the car is going nowhere any time soon.....

I'm currently looking at throwing £1,500-£2,000 at the car to make me happy. I have a couple of options as I see it but just looking for some opinions and advice on my options.

Option 1 - KW Street Comfort and wheel spacers. I'm seeing this as fixing the suspension issue and giving the car a bit of a beefier appearance.

Option 2 - ACS springs, wheel spacers, Cobra dual exhaust conversion, M-Performance rear diffuser and M-Performance grills. I'm seeing this as 'fixing' the suspension and a few more subtle exterior mods to make the car look a wee bit more 'special'.

I'm leaning towards option 2 on the basis of more bang for your buck but just looking for any opinions or advice that may change my thinking!!

Also has anyone got any idea cost fitting for springs. I'm probably looking at Kenneth Brown in Hillington.
I used Kenneth Brown to fit my Eibach springs and do full geometry last year, he charged me £280 exc. VAT.

The springs made a big difference, but the geo was also miles out from factory so both combined totally changed the drive of the car for me. Don't get me wrong, it's not suddenly a B road weapon but is far more capable when pressing on and ride quality didn't suffer. I'm on standard adaptive dampers.

If it's just the drive you don't like, then this is a good investment, but won't make the car feel any more special. The exterior m performance kit will help, but I'm not sure throwing good money after bad is the way forward. I speak from experience as I'm close to swapping out of mine for an X5 on the current 0% finance deals...
      06-08-2018, 04:59 AM   #3
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

The answer depends on how relatively important looks v handling is?

Springs will help, but the standard dampers are a real let down, so doing both will make a huge difference.

But, even running expensive coil overs and multiple other mods, my 335d is super competent, and very very quick, but I'm still not sure I'd say it's ever that much fun.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 05:08 AM   #4
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

So I'd be looking at about £660 for the ACS fitted - I don't imagine putting spacers on at the same time would be too much of a drama. Appreciate that info.

I had considered an X5 as the deals are great but sadly on an 8 month old factory order I am the proverbial balls deep. I've reluctantly accepted that this car is with me until it's 36 months old so the point about throwing good money after bad is 100% true but the reality is that the 335d is going nowhere soon!

The point about the standard dampers is the one that really resonates - I don't want to go the ACS spring route and wish that I'd went with the coil overs!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 05:14 AM   #5
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

You say that to the outside world it looks like any other 3 series, and that seems to be one of the major failings (to you, at least).

Hate to say it, but unless you blinged the thing to hell, 99% of other people wouldn't notice anyway. It's still going to just look like a 3 series to the vast majority of people
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 05:16 AM   #6
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

I wouldn't spend anything at all - I presume that Scots are as tight as Yorkshire people.

Save the £2k and use it towards your next car. Learn from your mistakes and maybe look to change slightly earlier than the 36 months that you suggested.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 05:22 AM   #7
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

eibach springs £200
a full replica m performance kit fitted BNG do one for like £600.
exhaust £250 for back box delete at power flow.

also if you want to improve the handling fit an uprated rear ARB. the M140 one bolts in and parts cost me £150 when i did mine.

spacers CM Wheels are cheap... £55 i think you want 12mm and 15mm

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 05:24 AM   #8
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

most importantly.. remap or TDI tuning box. will make a world of difference to the drive

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 05:32 AM   #9
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 335d

Depends on what you want from "being special". Special to drive? Special to look at?

If you want a better driving experience (it will probably never be special, but you can improve upon it) then I would advised dont leave the standard dampers on, they're crap! Remap livens the engine up which makes it better to drive. Uprated rear ARB improves the factory understeer which makes it better to drive.

Just to show you what it looks like on KW Street Comfort and spacers.

Coding. LED Front Fogs. DIY Driver Glovebox. KW Street Comfort. 15mm Rear ARB. Tarox SS Brake Lines. Motorwerks Remap. DIY Rear 12v Socket. M Performance Discs. Tarox Strada Pads. Spacers (10mm & 12mm). Head Unit USB Cable. Rear Diffuser. Rear Light Tints. Non RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 05:34 AM   #10
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
You say that to the outside world it looks like any other 3 series, and that seems to be one of the major failings (to you, at least).

Hate to say it, but unless you blinged the thing to hell, 99% of other people wouldn't notice anyway. It's still going to just look like a 3 series to the vast majority of people
It's not so much to the outside world - although that is what I said!! - just something to look a wee bit different would be nice.

Quote:
I wouldn't spend anything at all - I presume that Scots are as tight as Yorkshire people.

Save the £2k and use it towards your next car. Learn from your mistakes and maybe look to change slightly earlier than the 36 months that you suggested.
My wife makes the exact same point and I 100% get it. The part of me that goes against the logic is that if I know I have for another 28 months I should make it so I'm happier with the car.

Smee - you make very good suggestions just perhaps a little full on for what I'm after.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 05:37 AM   #11
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

I think I know it'll never be 'special' - just a little bit of something!

That ride height on the KW Street does look miles better and the spacers really do help fill the arches. I'm assuming a big thumbs up on the drive?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 05:43 AM   #12
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335d

If only there was some way to find out what a car looked like before you bought it!
Appreciate 3
      06-08-2018, 05:46 AM   #13
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 335d

Quote:
I think I know it'll never be 'special' - just a little bit of something!

That ride height on the KW Street does look miles better and the spacers really do help fill the arches. I'm assuming a big thumbs up on the drive?
A HUGE thumbs up on the drive, both comfort and handling - and I'm still on runflats. I expect this to only get better when I move to the non runflats.
Coding. LED Front Fogs. DIY Driver Glovebox. KW Street Comfort. 15mm Rear ARB. Tarox SS Brake Lines. Motorwerks Remap. DIY Rear 12v Socket. M Performance Discs. Tarox Strada Pads. Spacers (10mm & 12mm). Head Unit USB Cable. Rear Diffuser. Rear Light Tints. Non RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 05:47 AM   #14
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxi2k View Post
If only there was some way to find out what a car looked like before you bought it!
Gotta love an internet forum - almost as good as a penis extension for some!
Appreciate 3
KCH1984948.50
ahmedb369.50
Drek578.50
      06-08-2018, 05:54 AM   #15
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

I would go with option 2. I know what you mean about the looks but now I've put the M Performance kit on it just has much better looks to match the punch.

Even had a couple of guys at Travis Perkins compliment the car the other day, something I'm not very used to at all as before it was just another 3 series!

Last edited by SkyJawa; 06-08-2018 at 06:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 05:54 AM   #16
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Gotta love an internet forum - almost as good as a penis extension for some!
Someone's a bit sensitive!

I just do not understand how you can complain about the looks of a car you bought, presumably you looked at it and knew the looks wouldn't be what you were after and bought it anyway?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 06:00 AM   #17
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Forinor View Post
A HUGE thumbs up on the drive, both comfort and handling - and I'm still on runflats. I expect this to only get better when I move to the non runflats.
Yeah I'll be running the runflats until they need replacing so that's good to know.

I
Quote:
would go with option 2. I know what you mean about the looks but now I've but the M Performance kit on in just has much better looks to match the punch.

Even had a couple of guys at Travis Perkins compliment the car the other day, something I'm not very used to at all as before it was just another 3 series!
Seen the pictures of yours - - I'm not looking to go full kit but just feels standard lacks a little.
Appreciate 1
SkyJawa3716.00
      06-08-2018, 06:01 AM   #18
Leckie31
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F32 335d xdrive

So it all depends how much you personally feel this will improve the situation. If you look at cars with the MP kit do you think ‘Christ that’s good’ ?

I completely appreciate where you are coming from, I felt exactly the same with my first 435d (however I had the option to change). At that time I needed a diesel, and it ticked all the boxes but was uninspiring.

Eibach springs
Eibach 15/12 spacers
Full MP Kit
20” 405m and 20” 624m alloys (summer/winter)
Steinbauer timing box (one in the classified for £300 is amazing value btw)
Cobra exhaust conversion

This stuff changed the car for me, driving it in sport also helped a huge amount (not to be an idiot, just for the improved throttle response).

And then I went silly with an M4 interior, MP brakes, digital cluster. But that’s another story for another day. I also had B8’s shocks, which made it far too firm when you meet shit roads combined with the 20’s.

It handled better, looked lovely but in the end I still didn’t like the car. I changed, and I’ve not looked back since. I went into another 435d first though, with a better base spec and that helped hugely, but ultimately I switched back to a petrol. It’s stock as they come, but I love driving it.

If I was stuck with the car as you are, just be sure the £2k won’t make you love it for a fortnight, then the novelty wears off and you wish you still had the £2k.

But if you end goal is just to give it a bit more style, and something you enjoy then go for it ! I’d also highly recommend always having it in sport, the ASD and improved throttle response is worth it for the 5mpg you lose when driving sensibly (ish).
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 06:02 AM   #19
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxi2k View Post
Someone's a bit sensitive!
Exactly the issue
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 06:06 AM   #20
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leckie31 View Post

If I was stuck with the car as you are, just be sure the £2k won’t make you love it for a fortnight, then the novelty wears off and you wish you still had the £2k.
That's the key, don't waste your money then regret it later.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 06:09 AM   #21
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

At the end of the day it's a station wagon .. if you wanted something that looks more special and stands out from the 320d's more you need an M car really
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 06:11 AM   #22
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leckie31 View Post
So it all depends how much you personally feel this will improve the situation. If you look at cars with the MP kit do you think ‘Christ that’s good’ ?

I completely appreciate where you are coming from, I felt exactly the same with my first 435d (however I had the option to change). At that time I needed a diesel, and it ticked all the boxes but was uninspiring.

Eibach springs
Eibach 15/12 spacers
Full MP Kit
20” 405m and 20” 624m alloys (summer/winter)
Steinbauer timing box (one in the classified for £300 is amazing value btw)
Cobra exhaust conversion

This stuff changed the car for me, driving it in sport also helped a huge amount (not to be an idiot, just for the improved throttle response).

And then I went silly with an M4 interior, MP brakes, digital cluster. But that’s another story for another day. I also had B8’s shocks, which made it far too firm when you meet shit roads combined with the 20’s.

It handled better, looked lovely but in the end I still didn’t like the car. I changed, and I’ve not looked back since. I went into another 435d first though, with a better base spec and that helped hugely, but ultimately I switched back to a petrol. It’s stock as they come, but I love driving it.

But if you end goal is just to give it a bit more style, and something you enjoy then go for it ! I’d also highly recommend always having it in sport, the ASD and improved throttle response is worth it for the 5mpg you lose when driving sensibly (ish).
Good perspective on things and I think pretty much exactly my conundrum. Not to go down a different route on this but you've touched on another issue - the diesel is just a bit frumpy!

My thoughts were £1,500-£2,000 is not a 'huge' amount of cash and if I can make the car tick a few more boxes when I know that I've got a minimum 28 months to go in the car then why not.

I liked the idea of the M-Performance grills and diffuser, Cobra twin conversion with black exhaust trim and a black 335d badge (removing X-Drive) as I thought this would be subtle enough but also set it apart a little. The spacers would help with the aesthetics and the springs would help with the ride and stance.
Appreciate 0