F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 100k Mile Service (Including Timing Chain) - Need Opinions
Extreme Powerhouse

12-21-2023, 04:10 PM   #1
pashad13
Pasha Dastmalchi
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe 8 Spd Auto

100k Mile Service (Including Timing Chain) - Need Opinions

Hello all,

So I recently purchased a 2015 f31 328d xdrive with m sport package and all the goodies. It had 93k miles, now I've taken it up to 95k miles. At 83k miles it had the EGR cooler replaced as part of the recall. In terms of its carfax, it reports that its had oil/filter changed at 8k miles, 14k miles (owner #1), 47k miles (owner #3), 57k miles, 66k miles, 76k miles, (owner #4), 83k miles, 93k miles (owner #5), and now I am owner #6.

As you can see, there were no reported services or oil changes from 13k miles to 47k miles. Owner #1 sold it to owner #2 at 20k miles (March 2018). Owner #2 sold it to owner #3 13 months later (April 2019) but had no service notes documented other than a battery charged at 20k miles right after purchasing the vehicle. Owner #3, then had it oiled at 47k miles, 10 months after they had purchased it from owner #2 (February 2020).

I am hoping that there were some at-home oil changes during its time with owners #2 and #3 that weren't documented, but you can never be too sure. That being said, the car is coming up to 100k miles pretty soon, and as I plan on keeping this car for a very long time as my daily driver, I want to make sure it is in peak condition and extremely well taken care of. Because of this, I want to know all its wear parts and fluids maintenance schedule myself, so I was planning on doing the following at 100k miles:
  • Oil change
  • Oil Filter
  • Fuel filter
  • Brake fluid change
  • Transmission/Diff fluid change
  • Intake air filter
  • Cabin air filter
  • Oil Catch Can Install (thanks for the idea farkle)
  • Clean MAF sensor
  • Clean carbon & soot out of intake manifold

Is there anything else I should take care of? Would it be overkill to replace the timing chain as well? If I do that, are there any other parts you all would advise replacing as well during that procedure (guides, tensioner, gears)?

**I should mention too -- I was considering doing a rawtek tune & DPF/EGR/SCR delete for some added performance and sanity, knowing my emissions junk won't fail me (yes I live in CA but there is always a way around smogs, I live in LA)... But now, I am considering going the route of a KermaTDI stage 2 tune & possibly even xDelete for the non-winter time once I complete all the service items, after doing some research and hearing such great reviews about Karma's tune**

Last edited by pashad13; 12-21-2023 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 04:12 PM   #2
pashad13
Pasha Dastmalchi
Rep

Here is a screenshot from an excel I made to organize the car’s service/maintenance records that I have available, prior to me.
Attached Images

12-22-2023, 04:51 AM   #3
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

From personal experience with my 330d, don’t bother with a catch can. They collect very little oil and I suspect it may have been a contributory factor in the early failure of the turbo.

Deleting (coding & blanking) the EGR curcuit is of far greater benefit in terms of a clean inlet manifold and ports (do clean them though, or get them cleaned professionally - they’ll likely be significantly fouled).

Getting the timing chain replaced is a good option. The 4-pots, in particular, have a reputation for premature failure.

Increasing the frequency of oil/filter changes is always a good idea. I change mine every 7K miles.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 08:57 AM   #4
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Hello Neighbor! I made a sheet to spell out the maintenance on the BMW diesel engines. You may want to get a UOA at the next oil change just so you know condition of the engine and establish a baseline after that gap in the history. For drivetrain fluids, include a transfer case and front diff fluid change. There are conflicting opinions on whether to do it or not after 60K. Replace the 12V battery if it's still the factory unit. The timing chain issues were largely isolated to earlier models in the European market, and BMW put in a revised design when the N47 was brought to the states. Also make sure your car had recall 20V-185 to address a defect in the transfer case, a known issue for the pre-LCI cars.

I agree with Watsey about the catch can. FaRKle! own data suggests the stock and KermaTDI stage 2 tunes produce little blow-by. The latter is recommended for CA as they require a stock configuration and preserve the CAL and CVNs, avoiding a smog check failure.

At 93K and 8 years, it may be covered my some component-specific warranties. So diagnose and see if you can use it for proactive replacements:
  • Injectors up to 10/120K
  • HPFP up to 10/120K
  • NOX sensors up to 10/120K
      01-04-2024, 01:49 PM   #5
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M Sport

Have you gotten a quote to replace the chain. Feel like it is a LARGE expense for proactive maintenance. I have 152k on mine, though with better OCI's and I don't plan to change proactively unless I get a rattle or noise.

Wish or wonder if there is an easier way to test/check for stretched chain/ damaged guides.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 02:28 PM   #6
barf
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 330D

Catch can for a diesel? No...
Mr. Noobkiller you would be waiting for forever on that timing chain rattle because almost never there is any rattle. It just breaks. If you are not doing flat out then you might get lucky though and you only need to replace chain.

Regarding your list:
Oil change OK
Oil Filter OK
Fuel filter OK
Brake fluid change OK
Transmission/Diff fluid change OK
Intake air filter OK
Cabin air filter OK
Oil Catch Can Install (thanks for the idea farkle) NO
Clean MAF sensor NO
Clean carbon & soot out of intake manifold YES also delete the swirl flaps if you have someone to program them out
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 03:43 PM   #7
pashad13
Pasha Dastmalchi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barf View Post
Catch can for a diesel? No...
Mr. Noobkiller you would be waiting for forever on that timing chain rattle because almost never there is any rattle. It just breaks. If you are not doing flat out then you might get lucky though and you only need to replace chain.

Regarding your list:
Oil change OK
Oil Filter OK
Fuel filter OK
Brake fluid change OK
Transmission/Diff fluid change OK
Intake air filter OK
Cabin air filter OK
Oil Catch Can Install (thanks for the idea farkle) NO
Clean MAF sensor NO
Clean carbon & soot out of intake manifold YES also delete the swirl flaps if you have someone to program them out
Curious — why NO for cleaning the MAF sensor?
      01-09-2024, 06:35 PM   #8
bmwPower99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw f25 X3 35d

Add transfer case oil change. Cleaning the intake and deleting Egr would be top of my list.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 09:35 AM   #9
barf
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by pashad13 View Post
Curious — why NO for cleaning the MAF sensor?
Not necessary unless you have problems with MAF. You can do damage to the element.
Appreciate 0