F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Understanding coding terminology?
Vorsteiner
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-14-2019, 11:45 AM   #1
5mall5nail5
Not stock
5mall5nail5's Avatar
United_States
94
Rep
189
Posts

Drives: E34 525i Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to 5mall5nail5
Understanding coding terminology?

There may already be a thread about this but I've been using Bimmercode for simple stuff, but want to get into doing some more (perhaps M Perf brakes, M Sport wheel, etc.)

I don't fully understand what "VO" means. I don't really get FSC or some of the other terms. Is there a thread or post out there that clearly describes what it means to "VO Code" is vs. FSC or ... the other commonly used terms?

Thanks!
__________________
2015 BSM 328i Sport Line - BSM - 18" Style 397 - OEM BMW Performance Black Grill
2015 BSM X1 M Sport - BSM - 19" Style 225
1992 525i - Built 2.9L "M50" - Precision 7675 turbo, DTA standalone ECU, custom everything
1987 325e - M52 2.8L 24v swap
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #2
midnightf30
Private First Class
midnightf30's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
158
Posts

Drives: 2014 F30 328i BASE
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
There may already be a thread about this but I've been using Bimmercode for simple stuff, but want to get into doing some more (perhaps M Perf brakes, M Sport wheel, etc.)

I don't fully understand what "VO" means. I don't really get FSC or some of the other terms. Is there a thread or post out there that clearly describes what it means to "VO Code" is vs. FSC or ... the other commonly used terms?

Thanks!
I'm not sure I found one when I was starting but I just found the definitions around when figuring out how to do all of those.

VO is vehicle order and when you vo code you are adding a option code to your car and intending to code the modules that are required to make use of this new option option code you added to your vehicle order.

FDL coding is just coding a single option inside a single ECU and actually when you VO CODE the computer is doing a bunch of FDL CODE for you I. The ECU you select. Like for example I added 2TB sport automatic transition to my vehicle order and coded the modules that were involved with 2TB, BUT I do not have paddles so I manually went into the module that had the FDL code to activate paddles so I could turn it off (because 2TB turns it to active because it assumes you have paddles)

FSC codes I am not exactly sure on all I believe I known is that it's sort of a lock which only opens when matched to its original vin. Like there's three FSC code that belong to NAVIGATION and if they are rejected then the navigation will be grayed out on idrive, though this can be bypassed if you have a emulator because it will allow the NBT to keep its donor vin and thus there won't be a mismatch between the FSC codes and vin if you have a retrofitted NBT
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
5mall5nail5
Not stock
5mall5nail5's Avatar
United_States
94
Rep
189
Posts

Drives: E34 525i Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to 5mall5nail5
Ok - interesting. Very helpful! So, if I ever sell my car some day, is there a way to apply the original, non-tampered "VO" profile back? Like, I know what I coded, generally, but if I ever want to reset it to "Whatever it came with before I messed with it" is there a VO built into the car some place that defines the packages it had?

I understand now though, so very helpful. So for instance if I got an M Sport wheel I could VO code 2BT (my car actually has 2BT... but this is hypothetical) and that'd enable trans program as well as paddles vs. having to go do FDL on both the trans and the paddles?
__________________
2015 BSM 328i Sport Line - BSM - 18" Style 397 - OEM BMW Performance Black Grill
2015 BSM X1 M Sport - BSM - 19" Style 225
1992 525i - Built 2.9L "M50" - Precision 7675 turbo, DTA standalone ECU, custom everything
1987 325e - M52 2.8L 24v swap
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 07:20 PM   #4
midnightf30
Private First Class
midnightf30's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
158
Posts

Drives: 2014 F30 328i BASE
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
Ok - interesting. Very helpful! So, if I ever sell my car some day, is there a way to apply the original, non-tampered "VO" profile back? Like, I know what I coded, generally, but if I ever want to reset it to "Whatever it came with before I messed with it" is there a VO built into the car some place that defines the packages it had?

I understand now though, so very helpful. So for instance if I got an M Sport wheel I could VO code 2BT (my car actually has 2BT... but this is hypothetical) and that'd enable trans program as well as paddles vs. having to go do FDL on both the trans and the paddles?
Yes! I recommend actually that you make a backup of all the main files of you car so just in case something goes wrong you can go back to stock, same applies to if you are going to sell it you can just load up the original file and bring the car back to stock. The car itself doesn't come with so called file BUT you can generate it yourself all you have to do is first time you load up e-sys with the car connected, go to expert > coding and "read" the FA and save that and call it original and make two copies of that and place it somewhere safe and something goes with "read ecu/svt" and your "cafd" files, save and make a copy of those all before you start messing around with things.

and 2TB? and yes absolutely, the paddles themselves you dont code the coding is a part of the FEM so that is that one you would go in to FDL code whether you want paddles on or not. I dont have the file to install anymore but search up the NcdCafdTool, you can load up your cars original VO and you can checkbox an option to see what codes it will change/the modules you need to VO code to get it working properly.

Last edited by midnightf30; 01-14-2019 at 07:24 PM. Reason: extra info
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2019, 08:07 PM   #5
5mall5nail5
Not stock
5mall5nail5's Avatar
United_States
94
Rep
189
Posts

Drives: E34 525i Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to 5mall5nail5
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightf30 View Post
Yes! I recommend actually that you make a backup of all the main files of you car so just in case something goes wrong you can go back to stock, same applies to if you are going to sell it you can just load up the original file and bring the car back to stock. The car itself doesn't come with so called file BUT you can generate it yourself all you have to do is first time you load up e-sys with the car connected, go to expert > coding and "read" the FA and save that and call it original and make two copies of that and place it somewhere safe and something goes with "read ecu/svt" and your "cafd" files, save and make a copy of those all before you start messing around with things.

and 2TB? and yes absolutely, the paddles themselves you dont code the coding is a part of the FEM so that is that one you would go in to FDL code whether you want paddles on or not. I dont have the file to install anymore but search up the NcdCafdTool, you can load up your cars original VO and you can checkbox an option to see what codes it will change/the modules you need to VO code to get it working properly.
Thanks man!

One last question - since I already coded w/ Bimmercode (FDLs, I guess) is there anyway to get the "original" config pre-me coding with Bimmercode? What does "FA" mean and what are CAFD files?
__________________
2015 BSM 328i Sport Line - BSM - 18" Style 397 - OEM BMW Performance Black Grill
2015 BSM X1 M Sport - BSM - 19" Style 225
1992 525i - Built 2.9L "M50" - Precision 7675 turbo, DTA standalone ECU, custom everything
1987 325e - M52 2.8L 24v swap
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #6
midnightf30
Private First Class
midnightf30's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
158
Posts

Drives: 2014 F30 328i BASE
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
Thanks man!

One last question - since I already coded w/ Bimmercode (FDLs, I guess) is there anyway to get the "original" config pre-me coding with Bimmercode? What does "FA" mean and what are CAFD files?
Yea I actually code with bimmercode too you dont have to worry basically bimmercode doesnt change you VO so when you read your VO it will be what it came with from factory, then if you VO code with the orginal VO activated it will wipe all of you FDL coding made by bimmercode and bring you back to stock.

and FA is just the same as VO they are interchangeable last time I checked

CAFD files I'm not sure exactly the definition but I can give you an example of how they're applied. Basically when you go to retrofit something the ECU from the donor car still has the old cars CAFD, when you retrofit it you're most likely going to have to inject YOUR cars CAFD into it to get it working properly. For example: I went to go retrofit a KOMBI (instrument cluster) which was pre owned so I opened it up and cleared the VIN so I could write my vin to the KOMBI. Just for fun I plugged it in without any coding and immediately it came to life BUT since it was for a different model BMW the gauges did not work and there were a bunch of error lights on dash and it basically thought it was still the old car, even had a picture of the old car on it when it started up. AFTER injecting my cars cafd into it all the gauges came to life, errors went away (like it thinking I had a sunroof disappeared), and it showed a picture of MY car.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST