F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 3 series sedan or 4 series GC?
proTUNING Freaks

03-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #1
aznjayenyce
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435xi Grand Coupe

3 series sedan or 4 series GC?

Hey guys/gals =)
New to BMW and soon will be buying my first BMW. However, as the title suggest i'm can't decide which i want.
I have searched and read many comments where everyone talks about how the 4 series is very similar to the 3 and blah blah blah who cares.
I have always wanted to buy a BMW with red interior since i saw it back when the sims 2 came out ( don't laugh -_-)
Anyway i love the sportiness and frame-less window of the 4 series, but the hatch kinda looks like the 3 series GT (but better looking). Overall the 4 series just looks so sexy
With the 3 series it is also an amazing car.
I went to a dealer to see both cars in person and well when i sat in the 4 series it was kinda tight i am about 5'11 and my head was close to hitting the top of the car.....i guess i could've lowered the seats
i read that not a lot of people see 4 series GC and now a days 3 series are all over the place, which is kinda true.
It would be nice to have a car that not many have but i just don't know,maybe i need to spent a little more time in the 4 series
If i could combine certain features from both of these cars into one haha it would be perfect, but of course we don't live in a perfect world.
Anyhow let me know what you guys think. Base on practically, looks, which would be a better choice? Thanks guys =)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 04:52 PM   #2
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Practicality: It depends what you need it for
Looks: It depends on which you think looks better

At the end of the day, it's your car, and your questions are rather subjective.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #3
erroberts1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Imperial Blue F36 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznjayenyce View Post
Hey guys/gals =)
New to BMW and soon will be buying my first BMW. However, as the title suggest i'm can't decide which i want.
I have searched and read many comments where everyone talks about how the 4 series is very similar to the 3 and blah blah blah who cares.
I have always wanted to buy a BMW with red interior since i saw it back when the sims 2 came out ( don't laugh -_-)
Anyway i love the sportiness and frame-less window of the 4 series, but the hatch kinda looks like the 3 series GT (but better looking). Overall the 4 series just looks so sexy
With the 3 series it is also an amazing car.
I went to a dealer to see both cars in person and well when i sat in the 4 series it was kinda tight i am about 5'11 and my head was close to hitting the top of the car.....i guess i could've lowered the seats
i read that not a lot of people see 4 series GC and now a days 3 series are all over the place, which is kinda true.
It would be nice to have a car that not many have but i just don't know,maybe i need to spent a little more time in the 4 series
If i could combine certain features from both of these cars into one haha it would be perfect, but of course we don't live in a perfect world.
Anyhow let me know what you guys think. Base on practically, looks, which would be a better choice? Thanks guys =)
If you want practicality, looks, and enjoy the exclusivity, the only answer is the Gran Coupe.

Truth be told they are all the exact same car, save for a few differences in bodywork and doors. The differences in interior dimensions are measured in fractions of inches.

Don't let the difference in base price scare you either. The 4 has a number of desirable features standard which are options in the 3 series. Comparably equipped, they're all within a couple hundred dollars of each other in retail pricing.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalls90 View Post

Great insight, here.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 05:05 PM   #5
aznjayenyce
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalls90 View Post

haha if i knew the answer to those i would not be asking

as for practicality, just typical daily commute
i would probably pick the GC in a heart beat but my parents are old and dad have health issues
and if anything was to happen to him and i had to take him to the hospital for example it would probably be easier for him to get into the 3 series than than the 4
however there is still the family van though so.... -_-
as for looks i really like the look for the GC but as i have mention im not so sure about the height of the car xD
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 05:13 PM   #6
aznjayenyce
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erroberts1 View Post
If you want practicality, looks, and enjoy the exclusivity, the only answer is the Gran Coupe.

Truth be told they are all the exact same car, save for a few differences in bodywork and doors. The differences in interior dimensions are measured in fractions of inches.

Don't let the difference in base price scare you either. The 4 has a number of desirable features standard which are options in the 3 series. Comparably equipped, they're all within a couple hundred dollars of each other in retail pricing.
price aside just purely on esthetic
i know that both of these cars are the same car, but the minor features that the 4 series
such as the frame-less windows and the air vent on the side along with the sporty front bumper lol i know i sound like a little kid in a candy store who can't make up his mind. This is a car that i am going to have for quite some time and its a big step anyway still in a dilemma
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 05:29 PM   #7
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
price aside just purely on esthetic
i know that both of these cars are the same car, but the minor features that the 4 series

such as the frame-less windows and the air vent on the side along with the sporty front bumper lol i know i sound like a little kid in a candy store who can't make up his mind. This is a car that i am going to have for quite some time and its a big step anyway still in a dilemma
First off, welcome aboard.

If you care about drop-dead good looks, get the 4.

If you care about practicality, get the 3.

Are you getting the M Sport package? If so, you definitely want the 4 Series. I will explain why depending on your response.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 05:53 PM   #8
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
If you fit comfortably and don't regularly carry very tall or large people in the back seat the 4GC is almost a no-brainer. The other caveat would be if you need or prefer a completely enclosed trunk.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

03-06-2015, 06:41 PM   #9
aznjayenyce
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton View Post
First off, welcome aboard.

If you care about drop-dead good looks, get the 4.

If you care about practicality, get the 3.

Are you getting the M Sport package? If so, you definitely want the 4 Series. I will explain why depending on your response.
Yes, I will be getting the most sport package
I'm tall ,that's one concern I have with the 4
I will double check and adjust the seats
I won't be having passenger and such so in a way practicality isn't really a concern I guess
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #10
aznjayenyce
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
If you fit comfortably and don't regularly carry very tall or large people in the back seat the 4GC is almost a no-brainer. The other caveat would be if you need or prefer a completely enclosed trunk.
I sat in the 4 series for just a second and my head was hitting the tip of the car that disappointed me a little lol but I should have adjusted the seats to my height

I could care less about the trunk
for example the 3 gt I don't like the way it looks because of the hatch
the 4 series on the other hand,although it's a hatch it looks a whole lot sexier than the gt
I've been leaning toward the 4 series so far but would like some options before my final decision
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #11
Level3
1/2 Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 e92 ZCP

Garage List
If I didn't have to worry about passengers I would get a true coupe... one with 2 doors.
      03-06-2015, 07:00 PM   #12
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I sat in the 4 series for just a second and my head was hitting the tip of the car that disappointed me a little lol but I should have adjusted the seats to my height

the 4 series on the other hand,although it's a hatch it looks a whole lot sexier than the gt
I've been leaning toward the 4 series so far but would like some options before my final decision
I can assure you at 5'11" you are not too tall for the 4GC. Forum members well over six feet fit in it comfortably. The 4GC hatch was specifically designed to look like a traditional trunk lid. The 3GT was not designed to hide that it is a hatch.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

03-07-2015, 06:06 AM   #13
aznjayenyce
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level3 View Post
If I didn't have to worry about passengers I would get a true coupe... one with 2 doors.
I've thought about that, friend said the same. However, thinking in the long run, if I need to carry anyone it wouldn't be fun getting in the back seats
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 06:16 AM   #14
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

Trust me I know what you're going through! I really really like the backside of the 3er with decent rims and M-sport pack but I've also always wanted a coupe but could never go for it due to the 2 doors.. Well 4 GC it is for me I usually only have 1 or 2 passengers so it'll work and if not well the driver's position is the most important one and you can't go wrong there
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 06:23 AM   #15
MikeRR
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
My choice has been the 4 Series GC for the following reasons:
-3 Series will get an LCI this summer and I did not want to wait
-4 Series boot is more practical
-4 Series looks better - to me
-it feels a bit more sporty to me (seating position, lower roof...)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 06:41 AM   #16
aznjayenyce
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bols View Post
Trust me I know what you're going through! I really really like the backside of the 3er with decent rims and M-sport pack but I've also always wanted a coupe but could never go for it due to the 2 doors.. Well 4 GC it is for me I usually only have 1 or 2 passengers so it'll work and if not well the driver's position is the most important one and you can't go wrong there
Lol yea coupe are awesome looking
I have to agree that the driver position is the most important
clearly I'm leaning more towards the 4 gc =)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 06:43 AM   #17
geoff7877
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i M Sport 6MT

4 GC all the way. The GC has pretty much the same interior space as the 3 minus a couple of inches in the back seat roof line. The trunk has the same amount of space as the 3 but the opening is MUCH bigger because it's a hatch back. If you like the style of the GC better than it's a no brainer.

Have you gone to a dealer to check them both out? 4 GC all day long.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 07:34 AM   #18
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Sorry, but the 4GC is hardly in "exclusivity" territory. More rare, for now, sure. But, remember, it's been out a lot less time, so that will change. I see plenty of them where I live.

I wouldn't factor that in at all, to be honest, unless you're only concerned with that feeling for a year or so more. The 3 and 4 are far from the price point that brings any sort of rarity or exclusivity. Beyond that, it's not much more than a 3. So even if you live somewhere where $50K is still a lot to spend on a car, it won't be long before there are almost as many 4GC's as 3's.. At least way too close of a ratio to feel that they're rare. They also look far too similar for that anyway, honestly.

I would just decide which you like better on looks, driving, shape/space and forget the rareness as a factor. Just my humble opinion...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 07:46 AM   #19
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider
Quote:

I can assure you at 5'11" you are not too tall for the 4GC. Forum members well over six feet fit in it comfortably. The 4GC hatch was specifically designed to look like a traditional trunk lid. The 3GT was not designed to hide that it is a hatch.
I know a guy that is 6'4" driving a 135 lol. Lower the seat like you said
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 07:48 AM   #20
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Sorry, but the 4GC is hardly in "exclusivity" territory. More rare, for now, sure. But, remember, it's been out a lot less time, so that will change. I see plenty of them where I live.

I wouldn't factor that in at all, to be honest, unless you're only concerned with that feeling for a year or so more. The 3 and 4 are far from the price point that brings any sort of rarity or exclusivity. Beyond that, it's not much more than a 3. So even if you live somewhere where $50K is still a lot to spend on a car, it won't be long before there are almost as many 4GC's as 3's.. At least way too close of a ratio to feel that they're rare. They also look far too similar for that anyway, honestly.

I would just decide which you like better on looks, driving, shape/space and forget the rareness as a factor. Just my humble opinion...
I agree with your point of view on exclusivity when it comes to enthusiasts- if BMW forums are any indication, there are more Gran Coupes being bought right now than Sedans.

However, when talking about the general population, the GC will maintain its exclusivity because most typical Sedan owners strolling into a showroom wouldn't want a car that comparatively:

1. Is very low.
2. Is very wide.
3. Has rear door openings that are small.
4. Has compromised rear seating.
5. Has lower visibility.
6. Is more expensive.

The liftgate is an awesome win over the Sedan, but for a typical Sedan buyer its not enough to overcome these others drawbacks.

When compared to a two-door Coupe, the GC is very practical. When compared to a four-door Sedan, the GC is decidedly impractical. More money, more compromises, just for the sake of physical appearance. And that's what's so cool about the Gran Coupe to its owners. Driving one, we are saying to the world "yeah, it just looks too good to pass up".
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 08:26 AM   #21
aznjayenyce
Private
United_States
Rep

I agree with a lot of what others have said

It is true the 4 GC has not been out all that long and being a rarity shouldn't be factored into my decision making

I find both of these cars very attractive

I would have to spend more time at the dealership between these 2 and make a decision so far still indecisive

I like the 4 GC with the frameless window, sporty look, but concerns with the height but as the previous has mention people who are even taller than me are not having issues

Where as for the 3 series it just has more head room compared to the 4 and it looks more masculine?
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #22
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

If you aren't packing the car with people and stuff, 4GC. No brainer.

We cross-shopped it with the F31 for a hot second, but we have a baby still in a rear facing seat and a dog. Getting in and out of that back seat wasn't much better than a regular 2 door coupe, and that boot was barely useable beyond the sedan boot, at least to us.

Personally though, I agree with above. The 3 looks more masculine to me. The 4 looks effete. But that's just me.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0