F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > iPhone music Apps
Extreme Powerhouse

01-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #23
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray335d View Post
Hmmm checked it today and Spotify works fine. It's some of the other apps that default back to iTunes. Need to play more with it.
But can you control it through idrive?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #24
Jim-Bow
First Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Another option worth considering is Deezer, it integrates through the apps interface (6NR) and gives access to offline playlists albums etc and you can even search for new music through idrive (which then streams over 3G on the iPhone). The catalog seems as good as spotify (which I switched from when I got fed up with its poor integration with the car)

You can transfer all your spotify playlists over using spotizr.com and for the next 6 months it's 1/2 price at £4.99. Only downside is that the iPhone bitrate isn't as good as spotify (which being a music fan does bug me slightly) but the vastly better idrive interface with album art etc far outweighs that- and an update is expected that should solve it (the windows 8 and desktop versions do 320kbps already)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #25
M4dski11z
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI View Post
But can you control it through idrive?
Yep, using it on the way home tonight I could select next albums and next tracks via the idrive
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #26
Arwmjc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d xdrive on order

Quote:
Yes, I'm using an iPhone 5 and it works great
Do u get artwork and full control from idrive or do u have to use the phone?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 05:02 AM   #27
GBR1
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 45e on order

Has anyone used Qobuz, sound quality is suppose to be much better than spotify etc?? It's new and I the library isn't as big currently but it's getting there..

GBR1
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 06:56 AM   #28
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340

I use Qobuz.

I have to correct my earlier post regarding spotify, it does work fine via connected USB just not full integration with steering wheel and info display.

Qobuz, I posted in a another thread, here. With HK sound system for me it's really impressive. Spotify can do up to 320kbps but the lossless on Qobuz is another level.

Library and is ok, but not as developed and easy to navigate as spotify. I love the playlists on Spotify.
      03-04-2014, 07:32 AM   #29
Waitey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 D3 Bi-Turbo

Not a fan of Napster and so far it refuses to integrate with my idrive.
      03-04-2014, 07:47 AM   #30
GBR1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyvy View Post
I use Qobuz.

I have to correct my earlier post regarding spotify, it does work fine via connected USB just not full integration with steering wheel and info display.

Qobuz, I posted in a another thread, here. With HK sound system for me it's really impressive. Spotify can do up to 320kbps but the lossless on Qobuz is another level.

Library and is ok, but not as developed and easy to navigate as spotify. I love the playlists on Spotify.
So with Qobuz it works through the i drive no problem?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #31
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waitey View Post
Not a fan of Napster and so far it refuses to integrate with my idrive.
Do you have Pro Nav? I use Napster through Idrive and it works fine. Even via Bluetooth...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 07:53 AM   #32
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyvy View Post
I use Qobuz.

I doubt you will notice any quality difference if you listen to music over HK. I've tried all types and they all sound pretty much identical. On a dedicated HiFi yes, but not on a BMW HK system... Just my input of course so I'll wait for an audiophile to put me in my place
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 07:56 AM   #33
Waitey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 D3 Bi-Turbo

Quote:
Do you have Pro Nav? I use Napster through Idrive and it works fine. Even via Bluetooth...
Yep. Coded EBT too. It still doesn't want work right.

I'll play with it more later. I wish Spotify worked though. It worked fine in the E90 I borrowed, and in my Alfa!
      03-04-2014, 08:46 AM   #34
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340

It works with idrive in that I can play via usb and skip tracks using the dash left and right arrow. Doesnt seem to like steering wheel controls, but not really tried it. When I use the scroll wheel on the steering wheel the plalylist appears on the HUD but mixed up with other playlists, so I usually end up skipping tracks with he stereo arrows.

In terms of the difference, could be psychological. I don't have identical playlists on both. Tend to choose the audiophile music for playing on Qobuz.

Did a blind test with my wife with the same song on Spotify and Qobuz, she picked out the higher quality song.

Not scientific, but you can analyse that how you want. Did she assume I would play the better quality track 2nd? etc etc.

Lol, I have this in the market I work in, perception becomes reality. She think there's a difference, I think there is a difference, doesnt really matter actually if there is or there isnt.
      03-04-2014, 10:14 AM   #35
GBR1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I doubt you will notice any quality difference if you listen to music over HK. I've tried all types and they all sound pretty much identical. On a dedicated HiFi yes, but not on a BMW HK system... Just my input of course so I'll wait for an audiophile to put me in my place
I am no audiophile either but with Qobuz you can stream or download "lossless" files. These are almost twice the size of normal mp3 etc that spotify have available and hence "in theory" better quality!?

In home stereo world people are raving about it!

Now, wether this can be heard on the HK system is another question and how much if any is lost on the Bluetooth transfer is another question that is way above my understanding..

GBR1
Appreciate 0