F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Retrofit backup camera problem manual transmission
Studio RSR

02-18-2020, 04:15 AM   #1
Shrazy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Retrofit backup camera problem manual transmission

Dear BMW enthusiasts,

I installed a retrofit backup camera to my manual transmissioned F30 and get signal/power from reverse light with a camera filter in between.Everything works good beside one little, but very annoying problem.

While driving forward, something triggers the camera which turns it on for a second and then goes off again (the backup camera screen/menu appears). This happens every few minutes and stops music for instance and annoys me and I think this should not happen as I never heard somebody else got this problem really.

I read somewhere, that the BMW bulb check could cause this (every few minutes bulbs get checked if they are working or not).

Does someone have a clue how to solve this annoying problem? Could there be a wiring problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 04:43 AM   #2
abc2710
Rep
Drives: BMW 318D M Sport

Think this is the cold/warm bulb checks. They send a pulse of power to the bulbs to make sure the circuit is closed which probably triggers the reverse camera.

Try turn them off using your preferred coding app.
Appreciate 1
Shrazy12.00
      02-24-2020, 08:14 AM   #3
zhoushilun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 428I

You can connect a relay between the reverse light and the camera, it should solve your problem.
Appreciate 1
Shrazy12.00
      02-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #4
Shrazy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhoushilun View Post
You can connect a relay between the reverse light and the camera, it should solve your problem.
I already have a "Camera filter" installed as otherwise the image starts flickering, is this not the same? Would a relay make a difference?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:36 AM   #5
zhoushilun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 428I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrazy View Post
I already have a "Camera filter" installed as otherwise the image starts flickering, is this not the same? Would a relay make a difference?
I would give it a shot, it solves my issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:39 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc2710 View Post
Think this is the cold/warm bulb checks. They send a pulse of power to the bulbs to make sure the circuit is closed which probably triggers the reverse camera.Try turn them off using your preferred coding app.
Correct. While you're at it replace the bulbs with LED. They're brighter, draw less current, and since you have to code the warm/cold checks off anyway you might as well take advantage of that.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 05:00 AM   #7
Shrazy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Correct. While you're at it replace the bulbs with LED. They're brighter, draw less current, and since you have to code the warm/cold checks off anyway you might as well take advantage of that.
I am unsure if it's allowed over here in Germany to replace bulbs against led's as we have very strict regulations in case of safety related parts. Maybe the leds are too bright and could blend others. I have to check for legality.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 07:33 AM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I doubt that blinding others with backup lights would be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 09:28 AM   #9
Shrazy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I doubt that blinding others with backup lights would be an issue.
Haha you don't live in Germany the regulations over here are extremely strict. Any modification on your car and especially for lights which are not oem can lead to laying-up your car by police and a fee.

For instance it is strictly forbidden to exchange front bulbs with h7 led bulbs here because they are not tested from BMW originally.
Appreciate 0