F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Perspective on brake flush procedure: how often?
proTUNING Freaks

10-21-2018, 12:31 PM   #1
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Perspective on brake flush procedure: how often?

Appreciate everyone's input and specially after warranty expires.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 04:49 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Brake fluid gets contaminated with water over time, which causes all sorts of problems. BMW errs of the side of caution, recommending a rather short 2 year interval. Some manufacturers don't mention it at all, most say 3 or 4 years. None are really exact because AFAIK none have a fluid moisture content measuring system. I bought one of these, so that I'd know and not change it either before or after it needs it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I check the fluid twice a year, so far it's still at 0% water content.

You should get fluid replacement anyway with your maintenance agreement. You can find when it's due on your iDrive.
Appreciate 3
      10-21-2018, 05:04 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Thanks for sharing. Similar thread in X5 forums also suggests a brake flush every 2 years. My 2017 BMW 44i GC is 2 years old. Time to plan it.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 09:59 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Maybe you misunderstood my post. My '15 still has zero water content in the brake fluid, so I haven't changed it. When I do see it hit 1%, which is still 1% below acceptable, I will. The two year recommendation is because unless you have a tester you can't know if it's still good or not, so BMWs stance is better safe than sorry, especially as the average owner wouldn't have a tester, and probably couldn't even find the master cylinder if they did.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 10:54 AM   #5
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I bought one of these, so that I'd know and not change it either before or after it needs it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I check the fluid twice a year, so far it's still at 0% water content.
This looks like a handy tool, plus some coolant strips. Now if there are test tools for AT fluid, and/or engine oil, that will be great!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #6
cpxchewy
Monkey
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Maybe you misunderstood my post. My '15 still has zero water content in the brake fluid, so I haven't changed it. When I do see it hit 1%, which is still 1% below acceptable, I will. The two year recommendation is because unless you have a tester you can't know if it's still good or not, so BMWs stance is better safe than sorry, especially as the average owner wouldn't have a tester, and probably couldn't even find the master cylinder if they did.
It's actually better to bleed a little bit of brake fluid from each corner and then test those. If you just gravity bleed it a tiny bit it actually helps remove any bubbles that might come up as well + give you an insight of any contaminants near the caliper as opposed to "clean" brake fluid at the master cylinder.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 12:32 PM   #7
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

2 to 3 years. Use turkey baster to get as much fluid out of under hood reservoir. Then add fresh brake fluid there.

Go to the FURTHEST brake caliper (usually rear right / left) and start sucking out / pumping the new fluid through.

Be sure to keep under hood reservoir loaded with fresh fluid.

Then suck out / pump fluid through the front calipers.

Check under hood level to stock.

Done.

Have used SpeedBleeders with good results if you plan to do this alone. Of course there are other types of apparatus to help with bleeding of brake fluid. The point is to get ALL the old fluid out while ensuring no air bubbles are within your brake lines / calipers.

https://amzn.to/2S9hzxV

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 02:40 PM   #8
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Interval depends heavily on how hard you are on your brakes and if you have moved from OE fluid or not.

On the stock fluid without much agressive use I would say go 2-3 years between flushes. If a full flush isn't needed, bleed and replace 1 quart of it instead.

As for me, I use my brakes agressively often and have several track days throughout the year. I bleed after every other track day and flush at the beginning of every season. If you track often, some organizations require you to have flushed within the last 6 months or so, but not all. I also use RBF600 which has a higher boil point, but is also more hygroscopic which further necessitates my increased bleed/flush interval.

With the frequency I do it I spent 60 bucks on a power bleeder and catch bottles (like the one enjoythemusic mentioned, I have the Motive). It makes the process extremely easy, start to finish is about 30 minutes and you are saving money from the first time you use it.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0