F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Done speeding 82mph in 50mph just outside Bham
Studio RSR

12-01-2018, 03:32 AM   #67
Vroombimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 435d Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbrock72 View Post
Was this the collector Road by castle bromwich by any chance? The dual from the m6 junction 5?

If so that's where I got caught, 6am empty Road 66 in a 50.

Used to be national speed limit apparently....
Hi badger, thats exactly where it was. She got caught there on a tuesday morning at 9.34am. What did u get for 66 in 50?
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2018, 03:34 AM   #68
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
Very Serious Speeding Offences – Usually regarded as 30 mph+ over the speed limit.

https://www.pattersonlaw.co.uk/motor...nces/speeding/
Ok but that link suggests a custodial sentence will only be considered for very high speeds and would 82 in a 50 really fall into that category; in your experience how many people have been put behind bars for something similar? I'd have thought a hefty fine accompanied by either lots of points or a ban was a far more likely outcome?

However, if as a society we think it's appropriate to lock-up a GP for a speeding offence like this - while at the same time allowing burglars and the like to walk with little more than a slap on the wrist - we really have lost the plot IMO.....
I don't believe for one minute it would actually happen, no.

Maybe a consideration, yes. As it's into that category. Albeit only by 2mph.
      12-01-2018, 03:56 AM   #69
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:

I'd be happy to stand corrected but I'm not sure anyone has ever been given a custodial sentence in England purely for speeding? I know it's sort-of happened in Scotland but up there they equate very high speed to Dangerous Driving (and therefore technically the custodial sentence is actually for DD not speeding).

As I say, given the overcrowded state of our prisons I think allocating cell space to people purely because they were driving quickly - and were affecting nobody else whilst doing so - would reflect a very strange sense of priorities....
Appreciate 1
t5pilot977.50
      12-01-2018, 04:31 AM   #70
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Vroombimmer

I appreciate that you have now confirmed that you are not going to put yourself forward as the driver.

Just in case you are only saying that for the benefit of this thread, you have now placed enough easily information on this thread that it would be straightforward to identify you and prosecute for perjury.

While the chance of a custodial sentence for the speeding offence in isolation is effectively zero, the chance of a custodial sentence for this kind of perjury is pretty high. Please don't do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 04:41 AM   #71
Vroombimmer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Vroombimmer

I appreciate that you have now confirmed that you are not going to put yourself forward as the driver.

Just in case you are only saying that for the benefit of this thread, you have now placed enough easily information on this thread that it would be straightforward to identify you and prosecute for perjury.

While the chance of a custodial sentence for the speeding offence in isolation is effectively zero, the chance of a custodial sentence for this kind of perjury is pretty high. Please don't do it.
JD6, defo not for the benefit of this thread. I was merely thinking out loud and using you guys on the forum for advice. Its clear that it was a very bad idea and would have been an awful mistake had i acted on that initial instinct. Lesson learned ;
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2018, 04:45 AM   #72
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Quote:
At the speed your wife was doing there's a good chance the case will go to court and if the prosecution has the evidence to hand - which presumably they will - it will quite clearly show a lady driver in which case both of you would be in big trouble if you're stood in the dock claiming it was you driving!
Not if he turns up in a nice frock and a wig. ‘Been cross dressing for years your honour’
Appreciate 2
      12-01-2018, 06:34 AM   #73
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
I'd be happy to stand corrected but I'm not sure anyone has ever been given a custodial sentence in England purely for speeding? I know it's sort-of happened in Scotland but up there they equate very high speed to Dangerous Driving (and therefore technically the custodial sentence is actually for DD not speeding).

As I say, given the overcrowded state of our prisons I think allocating cell space to people purely because they were driving quickly - and were affecting nobody else whilst doing so - would reflect a very strange sense of priorities....
Agree.

It seems people can get away with threatening someone in the street with a deadly weapon these days without receiving a custodial sentence, so for a judge to even consider one for a GP going 82mph on a 50mph A road is ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 07:14 AM   #74
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian332isport View Post
Not if he turns up in a nice frock and a wig. ‘Been cross dressing for years your honour’
One of my former colleagues was arrested for a large-scale financial fraud. On the day he was due to appear in court, there were loads of press photographers waiting outside to get a photo as he arrived. They almost all missed him as he came dressed as a woman

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 08:28 AM   #75
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:

So your first post said:

"A custodial sentence may be a real consideration (albeit likely a suspended one).
You really do need to be prepared."

And I said origninally you were scaremongering with someone who's worried about what might be coming their way.

Unnecessary in my opinion. In your position, with your experience, you were well placed to give them some proper advice.

Instead you just copied and pasted from a solicitors website, where they are definitely scaremongering to drum up trade......

You could have easily said, it's a possibility, but trust me, it will NEVER happen to you. But no, you chose to read from the booklet instead.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 10:09 AM   #76
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
So your first post said:

"A custodial sentence may be a real consideration (albeit likely a suspended one).

And I said origninally you were scaremongering with someone who's worried about what might be coming their way.

Unnecessary in my opinion. In your position, with your experience, you were well placed to give them some proper advice.

Instead you just copied and pasted from a solicitors website, where they are definitely scaremongering to drum up trade......

You could have easily said, it's a possibility, but trust me, it will NEVER happen to you. But no, you chose to read from the booklet instead.
Wow....like a dog with a bone. Let it go!
Appreciate 2
dizzy619446.50
allachie91334.00
      12-01-2018, 10:21 AM   #77
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
So your first post said:

And I maintain it may well be a consideration, however unlikely it may be.
But in fairness, how am I possibly able to say "trust me, it will NEVER happen to you"? I'm not going to be the Magistrate determining the outcome.

I accept it's extremely unlikely. And should that extremity be exercised, it would almost certainly be suspended.

But, typical of our terrible judicial system, things never happen... Until they do...

If one's as fully prepared as can be for the worst possible outcome, anything less is a bonus.
      12-01-2018, 12:13 PM   #78
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post
Wow....like a dog with a bone. Let it go!
Unlikely.

Last edited by Goneinsixtyseconds; 12-01-2018 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #79
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
And I maintain it may well be a consideration, however unlikely it may be.
But in fairness, how am I possibly able to say "trust me, it will NEVER happen to you"? I'm not going to be the Magistrate determining the outcome.

I accept it's extremely unlikely. And should that extremity be exercised, it would almost certainly be suspended.

But, typical of our terrible judicial system, things never happen... Until they do...

If one's as fully prepared as can be for the worst possible outcome, anything less is a bonus.
I get that, ...some magistrates really haven't got a clue and will let a violent offender you'd expect to receive a custodial sentence walk and then consider a custodial sentence for a respectable hard working professional person who has commited a much more minor victim less crime.
Appreciate 2
t5pilot977.50
1 AKY459.00
      12-01-2018, 06:33 PM   #80
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Custody is NOT a disposal for ANY speeding offences in the UK. Never has been. Crossing the custody threshold is a high test.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 12:52 AM   #81
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82Dude View Post
Custody is NOT a disposal for ANY speeding offences in the UK. Never has been. Crossing the custody threshold is a high test.
I suspect you're right, I can't recall any reported incidences of people having been sent to prison in the UK purely for speeding. There certainly have been cases where people have been given custodial sentences for doing high speeds in Scotland but they were prosecuted and convicted for Dangerous Driving rather than speeding....
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 02:18 AM   #82
badgerbrock72
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroombimmer View Post
Hi badger, thats exactly where it was. She got caught there on a tuesday morning at 9.34am. What did u get for 66 in 50?
Mine was a camera van parked up in the lay-by as you head away from j5. I got the standard 3 points and fine, think the rules have changed since then though mate.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 03:49 AM   #83
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

I personally don't think someone would get a custodial sentence for speeding unless it was deemed to be dangerous driving.

This article makes interesting reading.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...43830515796957
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 04:42 AM   #84
Vroombimmer
Private
Rep

Once we send the NIP off outlining she was the driver. What is the process then? How long does it take to hear anything back? Is there a slim chance they will issue fine and points or is it likely to be court summons? Also when issuing you a fine- how do they get personal details I.e occupation etc...

I just don't want this process to be a massive drawn out one
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 04:57 AM   #85
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

There is another implication of your wife being a GP, i.e. a professional person.

As in my own profession, she could be liable for sanction regarding her professional status if she conspired with you to avoid the driving ban.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 05:06 AM   #86
Vroombimmer
Private
Rep

Yep my wife made me aware of that. Apparently you need to notify the GMC if you are summoned to court for anything- even if it's driving related. So conspiring to pervert re course of justice together would probably mean we both loose our professional licenses
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 05:51 AM   #87
G82Dude
-
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post
I personally don't think someone would get a custodial sentence for speeding unless it was deemed to be dangerous driving.

This article makes interesting reading.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...43830515796957
They would be charged with dangerous driving in that case. Excessive speed is specifically mentioned in the guidelines, which has a starting point of 12 weeks custody (up to 26), with disqualification 15-24 months: "Incident(s) involving excessive speed or showing off, especially on busy roads or in built-up area; OR Single incident where little or no damage or risk of personal injury but offender was disqualified driver". Whereas: "Prolonged bad driving involving deliberate disregard for
safety of others; OR Incident(s) involving excessive speed or showing off, especially on busy roads or in built-up area, by disqualified driver; OR Driving as described in box above while being pursued by police
" is an indictable offence (crown court only).

Speeding (as an offence/charge) does not attract custody as a disposal. Never has.

Last edited by G82Dude; 12-02-2018 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 05:56 AM   #88
G82Dude
-
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroombimmer View Post
Once we send the NIP off outlining she was the driver. What is the process then? How long does it take to hear anything back? Is there a slim chance they will issue fine and points or is it likely to be court summons? Also when issuing you a fine- how do they get personal details I.e occupation etc...

I just don't want this process to be a massive drawn out one
Very much depends on whether it will be dealt with without being summonsed (i.e. appear in court). You will be asked to complete a means form in/before a court appearance. Likewise if you are dealt with out of court. The Police currently prosecute these cases, so works within their timescales... It's likely to be in the next few weeks.
Appreciate 0