F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > 2014 328d xDrive SCR Delivery Module
Studio RSR

02-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #1
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Black 330i xDrive

Garage List
2014 328d xDrive SCR Delivery Module

Hey guys,

I just have some concerns. Last night I got a engine light on the dash, so I hooked up my computer and used ISTA to read the data and do a vehicle test to check for fault errors. It came up with 3 errors, 1 of which has no significant meaning and I will fix in spring. Last night I cleared all faults and it was fine.

I drove about an hour trip today and at the end I got the light again. So I hooked back up and the constant problem is the SCR Delivery Module. Not heating up and retaining pressure. Now I looked up the BMW warranty and according to federal emission laws, it shows that all emissions systems including petrol and diesel catalytic converters including the SCR are covered for 8 Years/ 80K miles. This would mean my car is covered.

However, if for some reason the dealer does not think this is under warranty, I have read repair costs from $1300-1500. How easy is this to replace on my own and how much would parts cost? If it is that expensive, I'm going to do what I wanted last year and just do a full dpf and screw delete on the car.

The current pressure build up in the tank is 575 hPa and there is a set point of 5500-7500 hPa.

The fault codes are:

805192 - Delivery module, return pump, heater output: Too low.
805220 - Delivery module, system pressure: Pressure build-up too slow.

Please give me some advice please!!
      02-12-2018, 09:00 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Figueroa View Post
I drove about an hour trip today and at the end I got the light again. So I hooked back up and the constant problem is the SCR Delivery Module. Not heating up and retaining pressure. Now I looked up the BMW warranty and according to federal emission laws, it shows that all emissions systems including petrol and diesel catalytic converters including the SCR are covered for 8 Years/ 80K miles. This would mean my car is covered.

However, if for some reason the dealer does not think this is under warranty, I have read repair costs from $1300-1500. How easy is this to replace on my own and how much would parts cost? If it is that expensive, I'm going to do what I wanted last year and just do a full dpf and screw delete on the car.

Please give me some advice please!!
The DPF/NOx trap and the SCR Catalyst are warrantied until 80K. That's all that's warrantied; the control module is not AFAIK warrantied. The California warranty is until 7/70K and covers everything including the module. Unfortunately, you're not in a CA emissions state.

The control module for SCR has nothing to do with DPF. It's likely expensive (realoem.com doesn't have a price listed.) http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=16_0913
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 09:23 PM   #3
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Part Number 16197432800
Part Name CONTROL UNIT FOR SCR
BMW MSRP $344.14
Online Price from dealer with internet sales ~$275.31
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 11:32 PM   #4
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
The DPF/NOx trap and the SCR Catalyst are warrantied until 80K. That's all that's warrantied; the control module is not AFAIK warrantied. The California warranty is until 7/70K and covers everything including the module. Unfortunately, you're not in a CA emissions state.

The control module for SCR has nothing to do with DPF. It's likely expensive (realoem.com doesn't have a price listed.) http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=16_0913

I know the SCR has nothing to do with the DPF. I have done more research and the federal emissions warranty does only include the catalytic converter and the ECU. I do have an extended CPO warranty that should be covered because my car was produced and retailed before 01/2014. I will contact tomorrow and see what they thing.

What I was saying about the DPF, is that if this is even close to $1000. I'm going to just have a full dpf delete which also removes of SCR components an d tunes the ECU to remove these components. It'll make a full straight pipe and remove all emissions systems.

Also, since it is just emissions related, it can't be really be that important right? I'm not a green freak, but how will leaving this issue go for a while and just keep deleting the code with ISTA?
      02-13-2018, 08:58 AM   #5
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Quote:

I know the SCR has nothing to do with the DPF. I have done more research and the federal emissions warranty does only include the catalytic converter and the ECU. I do have an extended CPO warranty that should be covered because my car was produced and retailed before 01/2014. I will contact tomorrow and see what they thing.

What I was saying about the DPF, is that if this is even close to $1000. I'm going to just have a full dpf delete which also removes of SCR components an d tunes the ECU to remove these components. It'll make a full straight pipe and remove all emissions systems.

Also, since it is just emissions related, it can't be really be that important right? I'm not a green freak, but how will leaving this issue go for a while and just keep deleting the code with ISTA?
The lack of emissions equipment shouldn't bother you. If it does, just imagine that you're driving a VW.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #6
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:
Quote:

The lack of emissions equipment shouldn't bother you. If it does, just imagine that you're driving a VW.
      09-08-2023, 04:42 PM   #7
TRut
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0i SAV

My experience with SCR repair

I too had problems with the SCR delivery control unit. I'm just providing my experience in resolving the issue and maybe my experience is helpful to others who run into the same issue.

The two fault codes were 8051AD and 805220. Both errors related to issues the SCR delivery control module. In particular it has something to do with tank pressure. The BMW dealership mechanics said the both the SCR control Unit and SCR tank had to be replaced. The control unit part was ~800 and the SCR tank was around $1300. With labor the work was going to cost around $3800 plus tax. That expense gave my wife and I reason for pause. In further investigation of the repair procedure, it was discovery that the SCR delivery unit needed to be replace but the tank itself was just recommended, and not required. The manager of the service department and I both though that it was a reasonable bet that replacing just the SCR delivery control unit would fix the problem. That control module has a lot of functionality built into it (i.e. tank fluid level sensing and tank pressure monitoring.) So I let the mechanics proceed with just replacing the SCR control unit. That was going to cost me around $1700 to 1800 for parts and labor. It turns our when they ordered the SCR control module, that got shipped to them control module with the SCR tank pre-assembled. I'm not sure, but I think the issue is that BMW no longer sell the SCR control module and SCR tank separately. The two are now fabricated as a single part. The newer version, the control unit and SCR tank are sold together and referred to as the Active SCR tank. If you're wondering, I'm pretty sure that the passive SCR tank was not changed out. I don't think one can swap out the control unit anymore, in favor of the new integrated single unit design. Again, that's just my interpretation of what I think cause the confusion. If you go online and try to get authoritative documents showing the parts being replace, you will see for yourself why it's very confusing. I saw different looking diagrams for supposedly the same part. Was that just a part supplier communication issue or did BMW itself have some changes here that wasn't too well documented. This mix-up even seemed to confuse the mechanics. I think the part they actually got didn't look like the part that they thought they were going to replace. Either way, the end result is that this is the part you need to use to fix the problem. The good news to me, was that they install the new active SCR tank, which is both the tank and control module for the same price of the work they quoted me for doing just the control unit. And to make matters even better, over the years of owning BMW's, we had got a lifetime 15% discount card that applies to both parts and labor.

LESSONS LEARNED:
Whenever you replace any electronic control module, that work needs to be done by someone who can program the car to accept the new control module. That seems to be general rule. There are a few mechanic shops that have the ability to do the programming. For a job like this, if you have a non_BMW mechanic perform the repair, make sure they are aware that programming is needed. In other words, do they have the tool for doing the programming along with the knowledge of how to perform the re-programming.

Also, don't be afraid to ask the mechanic if some of the work they are doing is just recommendation. As I've learned, that knowledge can help you avoid some necessary costs. Please note, I generally like to apply all recommended procedures at one time, but when the recommended procedure is going to cost me $2000, I'll want some time to think about that.

And lastly, SCR tank issue is an expensive repair no matter how you go about it. I the prices I quoted are for sept of 2023. In the process, I had contacted BMW North America, to see what they could do about the problem. The final result was that the SCR tank is not under any extended warranty for the 328d. Newer X3 models, do have extended warranties on the SCR tank. Why just X3's and not E30 style vehicles? The only answer you'll get from BMW is that the extended warrantee on the SCR tank is not applicable to 2014 328d's.

The active SCR tank is located on the inside of your car above the rear back tire wall nearest the back of the car. Some interior panels need to be removed to gain access to the area to perform the repair. I personally never did see the SCR tank and can't see the actual work performed. Those interior side panels looked too complicated for me to take off to actually see what work was done. I'm not sure where the passive SCR tank is located. I wish I had pictures so others could physically see how it looks. It's also important to know the modification does require programming; the work must be done by either a certified BMW mechanic or by a mechanic who has the means of performing the programming operations.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 08:55 AM   #8
Gregnew2BMWx28d
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White X3 xDrive28d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRut View Post
I too had problems with the SCR delivery control unit. I'm just providing my experience in resolving the issue and maybe my experience is helpful to others who run into the same issue.

The two fault codes were 8051AD and 805220. Both errors related to issues the SCR delivery control module. In particular it has something to do with tank pressure. The BMW dealership mechanics said the both the SCR control Unit and SCR tank had to be replaced. The control unit part was ~800 and the SCR tank was around $1300. With labor the work was going to cost around $3800 plus tax. That expense gave my wife and I reason for pause. In further investigation of the repair procedure, it was discovery that the SCR delivery unit needed to be replace but the tank itself was just recommended, and not required. The manager of the service department and I both though that it was a reasonable bet that replacing just the SCR delivery control unit would fix the problem. That control module has a lot of functionality built into it (i.e. tank fluid level sensing and tank pressure monitoring.) So I let the mechanics proceed with just replacing the SCR control unit. That was going to cost me around $1700 to 1800 for parts and labor. It turns our when they ordered the SCR control module, that got shipped to them control module with the SCR tank pre-assembled. I'm not sure, but I think the issue is that BMW no longer sell the SCR control module and SCR tank separately. The two are now fabricated as a single part. The newer version, the control unit and SCR tank are sold together and referred to as the Active SCR tank. If you're wondering, I'm pretty sure that the passive SCR tank was not changed out. I don't think one can swap out the control unit anymore, in favor of the new integrated single unit design. Again, that's just my interpretation of what I think cause the confusion. If you go online and try to get authoritative documents showing the parts being replace, you will see for yourself why it's very confusing. I saw different looking diagrams for supposedly the same part. Was that just a part supplier communication issue or did BMW itself have some changes here that wasn't too well documented. This mix-up even seemed to confuse the mechanics. I think the part they actually got didn't look like the part that they thought they were going to replace. Either way, the end result is that this is the part you need to use to fix the problem. The good news to me, was that they install the new active SCR tank, which is both the tank and control module for the same price of the work they quoted me for doing just the control unit. And to make matters even better, over the years of owning BMW's, we had got a lifetime 15% discount card that applies to both parts and labor.

LESSONS LEARNED:
Whenever you replace any electronic control module, that work needs to be done by someone who can program the car to accept the new control module. That seems to be general rule. There are a few mechanic shops that have the ability to do the programming. For a job like this, if you have a non_BMW mechanic perform the repair, make sure they are aware that programming is needed. In other words, do they have the tool for doing the programming along with the knowledge of how to perform the re-programming.

Also, don't be afraid to ask the mechanic if some of the work they are doing is just recommendation. As I've learned, that knowledge can help you avoid some necessary costs. Please note, I generally like to apply all recommended procedures at one time, but when the recommended procedure is going to cost me $2000, I'll want some time to think about that.

And lastly, SCR tank issue is an expensive repair no matter how you go about it. I the prices I quoted are for sept of 2023. In the process, I had contacted BMW North America, to see what they could do about the problem. The final result was that the SCR tank is not under any extended warranty for the 328d. Newer X3 models, do have extended warranties on the SCR tank. Why just X3's and not E30 style vehicles? The only answer you'll get from BMW is that the extended warrantee on the SCR tank is not applicable to 2014 328d's.

The active SCR tank is located on the inside of your car above the rear back tire wall nearest the back of the car. Some interior panels need to be removed to gain access to the area to perform the repair. I personally never did see the SCR tank and can't see the actual work performed. Those interior side panels looked too complicated for me to take off to actually see what work was done. I'm not sure where the passive SCR tank is located. I wish I had pictures so others could physically see how it looks. It's also important to know the modification does require programming; the work must be done by either a certified BMW mechanic or by a mechanic who has the means of performing the programming operations.
Your experience is interesting. My 2014 has an 8051B5 code from Carly. Tried clearing and it came back. Sounds like I need a new DEF/SCR tank. I’m debating on getting the software for home use as I have a 28d that I need to activate the trailer module as I installed the receiver and added the module in back.
Appreciate 0