F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N55 dybo numbers? MHD
Studio RSR

10-31-2021, 10:24 AM   #23
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

If you do not have a baseline, the dyno is useless.

A datalog, in this case, is more helpful to determine how the car is running and whether it's making full intended power or not

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 10:34 AM   #24
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Stock M2 vs BM3 stage 2 93? (Unsure of version)

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1614685

That tune is an under achiever.

Last edited by AmuroRay; 10-31-2021 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 10:37 AM   #25
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Stock M2 vs BM3 Stage 1 (yes, the SG1 loses peak power)

Last edited by AmuroRay; 10-31-2021 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 10:44 AM   #26
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
BM3 Stage 2 vs stock

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1614685

That tune is an under achiever.
I agree carbhan is an underachiever; in my opinion, BM3 is vastly superior in terms of power and features.

I also sell BM3 and do not sell Carbahn; I have every reason to put down carbahn and recommend bm3.

But he cannot judge how much power he is making based on baselines posted online by other users. If he wants to know how much he is making, he needs to do his baseline.

Or he can check the dynos of other users with the same tune and setup; that'll give him an idea of how much power he is making.

Im trying to answer whether his tune is adding the promised power by carbahn or its underachieving.
The question of whether it makes as much power as bootmod3 does not need any dynos

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
AmuroRay2165.00
harkes1071.50
      10-31-2021, 10:53 AM   #27
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I agree carbhan is an underachiever; in my opinion, BM3 is vastly superior in terms of power and features.

I also sell BM3 and do not sell Carbahn; I have every reason to put down carbahn and recommend bm3.

But he cannot judge how much power he is making based on baselines posted online by other users. If he wants to know how much he is making, he needs to do his baseline.

Or he can check the dynos of other users with the same tune and setup; that'll give him an idea of how much power he is making.

Im trying to answer whether his tune is adding the promised power by carbahn or its underachieving.
The question of whether it makes as much power as bootmod3 does not need any dynos
I wasn’t questioning this at all, I just made a comment that his tuned numbers are on par with a stock or near stock M2.

But for almost 1k in cost, you would think they provide their own data.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 12:52 PM   #28
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWApp View Post
Just had my car dyno'd yesterday. It's an EWG N55 that made peak numbers of 353 whp and 383 wtq with the below mods.

Carbahn Autoworks Stage 2 tune
Dinan intercooler
M Performance exhaust
MPPK air intake with K&N filter
FTP chargepipe
FTP turbo inlet pipe
Active Autowerke high flow catted downpipe
Power numbers aside, i would just like to understand why you chose this tune? Are we missing something?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 03:45 PM   #29
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
Just had my car dyno'd yesterday. It's an EWG N55 that made peak numbers of 353 whp and 383 wtq with the below mods.

Carbahn Autoworks Stage 2 tune
Dinan intercooler
M Performance exhaust
MPPK air intake with K&N filter
FTP chargepipe
FTP turbo inlet pipe
Active Autowerke high flow catted downpipe
Power numbers aside, i would just like to understand why you chose this tune? Are we missing something?
I chose the tune because I ran a Carbahn tune on my 340 and really liked it. I daily drive my 435 and don't take it to the track or race it so I am not looking for max power or anything like that. I want a tune that will be reliable and smooth in addition to adding a good amount of power. I know that BM3 and MHD add lots of flexibility where I could adjust the tune in different ways but I'm not looking to do that either. Carbahn isn't a very popular choice among enthusiasts but for me and what I am looking for it's a great tune.
      10-31-2021, 03:55 PM   #30
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I chose the tune because I ran a Carbahn tune on my 340 and really liked it. I daily drive my 435 and don't take it to the track or race it so I am not looking for max power or anything like that. I want a tune that will be reliable and smooth in addition to adding a good amount of power. I know that BM3 and MHD add lots of flexibility where I could adjust the tune in different ways but I'm not looking to do that either. Carbahn isn't a very popular choice among enthusiasts but for me and what I am looking for it's a great tune.
I honestly just don't agree. You paid over $1,000 dollars for what amounts to the BM3 Stage 0 tune (M2 tune). In the case of the M2 tune, it requires no mods and it's free with the purchase of BM3.

Literally nothing about this tune offers you more flexibility, ease of use, reliability, or power than other options out there, not to mention it's more expensive. I guess that's why were are all confused.
      10-31-2021, 04:15 PM   #31
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I honestly just don't agree. You paid almost $1,000 dollars for what amounts to the BM3 Stage 0 tune (M2 tune). In the case of the M2 tune, it requires no mods and it's free with the purchase of BM3.

Literally nothing about this tune offers you more flexibility, ease of use, reliability, or power than other options out there, not to mention it's more expensive. I guess that's why were are all confused.
It's fine that you don't agree since I didn't ask for your opinion. I didn't pay almost $1,000 (about half that) plus I didn't say this tune offers more flexibility. In fact, I said the opposite and acknowledged that BM3 and MHD offer more. I also said that I wasn't looking for max power, which means I also know it won't offer as much as BM3 and MHD. I also didn't say the Carbahn tune offered more ease of use over BM3 or MHD.

I'm confused as to why I can't choose the tune I want and be happy with it without being criticized for it. I acknowledge that what I am looking for in a tune isn't the same as most on this forum but you should at least respect the fact that not everyone is looking for the same thing when it comes to tunes or other mods.
Styx58.00
      10-31-2021, 04:25 PM   #32
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It's fine that you don't agree since I didn't ask for your opinion. I didn't pay almost $1,000 (about half that) plus I didn't say this tune offers more flexibility. In fact, I said the opposite and acknowledged that BM3 and MHD offer more. I also said that I wasn't looking for max power, which means I also know it won't offer as much as BM3 and MHD. I also didn't say the Carbahn tune offered more ease of use over BM3 or MHD.

I'm confused as to why I can't choose the tune I want and be happy with it without being criticized for it. I acknowledge that what I am looking for in a tune isn't the same as most on this forum but you should at least respect the fact that not everyone is looking for the same thing when it comes to tunes or other mods.
Who is telling you what you can and can’t do? There is just nothing this does better than anything else, AND it costs more. Instead of being snippy with me for pointing out the obvious, maybe you should ask your tuner to give you your money’s worth on the product you bought.

Have a good rest of your Sunday.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 04:42 PM   #33
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Who is telling you what you can and can’t do? There is just nothing this does better than anything else, AND it costs more. Instead of being snippy with me for pointing out the obvious, maybe you should ask your tuner to give you your money’s worth on the product you bought.

Have a good rest of your Sunday.
You didn't point out anything that I already didn't know. Plus I paid less for this tune than I would have for BM3 or MHD (I didn't pay the price listed on their website) and feel that I did get my money's worth. So why do you care? It's my car and my build. Sounds to me that you are having trouble with the fact that someone went with another option. I know the other tuning options are also very good and reliable (I never said they weren't) and have friends running them on their cars. We all just chose to go different routes with our tunes.
      10-31-2021, 06:17 PM   #34
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You didn't point out anything that I already didn't know. Plus I paid less for this tune than I would have for BM3 or MHD (I didn't pay the price listed on their website) and feel that I did get my money's worth. So why do you care? It's my car and my build. Sounds to me that you are having trouble with the fact that someone went with another option. I know the other tuning options are also very good and reliable (I never said they weren't) and have friends running them on their cars. We all just chose to go different routes with our tunes.
Thanks for sharing the data. Btw can you datalog with that tune? Or is it just flash only?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 07:39 PM   #35
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

You're welcome. There is no option to data log so BM3 or MHD is definitely the way to go for those that want that option. The Carbahn tune is just flash only.
      10-31-2021, 07:43 PM   #36
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
two types of people here in regards to this..

we think it's funny when people do stuff that gets them subpar results for the same or more money.

we are happy that you chose the tune that you did as its provides us and others valuable information on what not to do if you want results.

personally, I think it's hilarious. you may not have paid full price but you do acknowledge that you don't get the usability and features that you get with the proven tuning setups and you get an under performing car.. good for you for doing what you want and being happy with it, I wouldn't be.
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 09:16 PM   #37
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

You are right that there are two types of people here in regards to this topic, and I know that I am in the extreme minority. But the same discussion can be had in regards to choosing all other mods (e.g., catless or catted downpipes, why choose a particular vendor, etc.). I wasn't interested in the usability and features of the other tunes because I have no interest or intention on going in and changing setups or loading new versions. If I was interested in those things, I would have gone with BM3 or MHD.

As I said, I also paid less for this tune than if I had gotten BM3 or MHD instead. So, I wasn't expecting the same amount of power compared to those. It works for me at that price point and for what I want the tune to do. I think it's hilarious that there are people out there that seem to care this much about why I went with this tune and feel the need to point out that they think I made a mistake.
      11-01-2021, 09:06 AM   #38
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You are right that there are two types of people here in regards to this topic, and I know that I am in the extreme minority. But the same discussion can be had in regards to choosing all other mods (e.g., catless or catted downpipes, why choose a particular vendor, etc.). I wasn't interested in the usability and features of the other tunes because I have no interest or intention on going in and changing setups or loading new versions. If I was interested in those things, I would have gone with BM3 or MHD.

As I said, I also paid less for this tune than if I had gotten BM3 or MHD instead. So, I wasn't expecting the same amount of power compared to those. It works for me at that price point and for what I want the tune to do. I think it's hilarious that there are people out there that seem to care this much about why I went with this tune and feel the need to point out that they think I made a mistake.
Let's a step back please.
Us criticizing a product is not criticism of you. You're not Carbahn, you're not the product you buy or use.

Yes you had a great experience with Carbahn previously and they gave you a discount on a new tune. Yes it makes more power than stock, and you're happy with it. No one here is taking that away from you.

For everyone else, there isn't really a justifiable reason to go this route over any of the other options out there, even if you don't need all the features.
How this is an attack of you as a person I don't know, but to "attack you" wasn't my intention.
      11-01-2021, 09:42 AM   #39
n55david
Rep

Garage List
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Let's a step back please.
Us criticizing a product is not criticism of you. You're not Carbahn, you're not the product you buy or use.

Yes you had a great experience with Carbahn previously and they gave you a discount on a new tune. Yes it makes more power than stock, and you're happy with it. No one here is taking that away from you.

For everyone else, there isn't really a justifiable reason to go this route over any of the other options out there, even if you don't need all the features.
How this is an attack of you as a person I don't know, but to "attack you" wasn't my intention.
you're too nice.... but you are right.

that tune is hot garbage for the power and what you get. what I think the rest of us don't get is why anyone would choose to go with it unless you just flat out didn't know better.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 02:23 PM   #40
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

N55 dybo numbers? MHD

I'm not going to comment any further on this or my reasons. I was simply replying to the OP's request to share dyno numbers and mods. If I had known that me sharing info would turn into what it did, I would have never shared. Get over it guys. Accept the fact that other folks will have a different opinion than you and move on. No need to act this way over it.

Sorry OP. All of this definitely wasn't my intention.
      11-01-2021, 03:08 PM   #41
n55david
Rep

Garage List
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm not going to comment any further on this or my reasons. I was simply replying to the OP's request to share dyno numbers and mods. If I had known that me sharing info would turn into what it did, I would have never shared. Get over it guys. Accept the fact that other folks will have a different opinion than you and move on. No need to act this way over it.

I have accepted it.. you just didn't know better. it's all good.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 03:55 PM   #42
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Sometimes (often) that happens on the forums lol, don't take it to heart. Do appreciate you providing the extra data point.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2165.00
      11-01-2021, 05:07 PM   #43
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Sometimes (often) that happens on the forums lol, don't take it to heart. Do appreciate you providing the extra data point.
This. It's just an extra data point, nothing personal to him.
      11-05-2021, 10:58 PM   #44
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Here's the thing, I think I can speak for most if not all BM3 users as I probably have the highest mileage F30 N55 tuned with BM3 (with PS2 installed too!)

Reliability comes from your own maintenance, datalogs (to make sure the car is running correctly with the tune)

I currently have 171k miles on my car, 30k miles of those, was stock, 56k miles were FBO, 85k miles were with PS2 installed. My car makes 420AWHP/438AWTQ, I drive it in the winter, and I go do lapping with it, it still runs great.

What everyone is basically judging you on is how much you spent, for a product that essentially gives you zero control on what you want. You have full flexibility with BM3/MHD on what tune you want, burbles, cold starts etc... but with Carbahn, you get just what they give you.

Another problem is, if you decide to move somewhere where the gas quality is less than decent, you can't retune your Carbahn tune. With BM3, you send in a support ticket with a log, and they'll revise your OTS map to make sure it's running correctly with the new fuel (no knocks, or timing corrections.)

I'd take this as a learning lesson that maybe do a bit more research before buying a tune, for the price and what it offers and for what you're going to use for the future.