F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Fun in the snow - XDrive vs Quattro
ARMA SPEED

02-02-2019, 04:08 AM   #23
r1cey
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: VW Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainy View Post
Those of us that have tried and been converted to winter tyres will never convince those that haven't and therefore can't see the benefits.

You may as well end the conversation there. However, I find the difference so night and day that I'd be surprised if there was anyone who had used winter tyres who now doesn't? Any takers?
+1

Had winter tyres on my previous 320i X-drive, unflappaple in the snow, but must admit had reservations that my M140, would prove to be a handful, but no..,
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 05:15 AM   #24
Alice Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 430dX M Sport

Quote:
Those of us that have tried and been converted to winter tyres will never convince those that haven't and therefore can't see the benefits.

You may as well end the conversation there. However, I find the difference so night and day that I'd be surprised if there was anyone who had used winter tyres who now doesn't? Any takers?
I agree with what you’ve said but I don’t use winter tyres and have used them in the past.
For the odd day we have snow, and I’m stuck, I can manage not using the car. Otherwise xDrive is fine. For me it’s just too much hassle swapping tyres around.
Yeah I agree with all the 7 degree stuff etc etc but in 30 years I’ve not had a problem coping with the weather.
Appreciate 1
Pequin230.00
      02-02-2019, 07:03 AM   #25
r1cey
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: VW Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Coupe View Post
I agree with what you’ve said but I don’t use winter tyres and have used them in the past.
For the odd day we have snow, and I’m stuck, I can manage not using the car. Otherwise xDrive is fine. For me it’s just too much hassle swapping tyres around.
Yeah I agree with all the 7 degree stuff etc etc but in 30 years I’ve not had a problem coping with the weather.

The thing is, tyre treads have changed significantly over the years, as have tyre widths, and we don’t seem to get as harsh winters as we used to do! I started driving in 1988, a Ford Cortina, but the difference in tread/width on that to your average saloon car these days is night and day. I’ll bet superminis these days have wider tyres than were fitted to that, and the tread is more “semi-slick” in comparison, and simply no use in the snow!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 08:58 AM   #26
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1cey View Post
The thing is, tyre treads have changed significantly over the years, as have tyre widths, and we don’t seem to get as harsh winters as we used to do! I started driving in 1988, a Ford Cortina, but the difference in tread/width on that to your average saloon car these days is night and day. I’ll bet superminis these days have wider tyres than were fitted to that, and the tread is more “semi-slick” in comparison, and simply no use in the snow!
Ah, the days of 'town and country' tyre sets.

Agree that tyres have changed, many of the older designs were very much an all-season tyre, lots of tread blocks, this helped for snow to pack between them. Hence more grip than we can get from tyres with large annular grooves and not much else.

As you say, tyre widths have increased and that just adds to the problem. A 155 - 165 section was pretty much the norm on many cars, we could just about get away with driving on snow, with added weight in the boot.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 12:50 PM   #27
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Fun in the snow - XDrive vs Quattro

Never occurred to the Freelander driver to try it in reverse at the same time as yourself..:
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 01:12 PM   #28
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:

I don't have winters for the current car, so it stays on the drive with weather like yesterday. Also in Brizzle.

Night and day is right. My E90 was a mountain goat in the snow on Nokians. Having had winters, I'm actually even less keen to drive any car on summers in the snow, as it's made me even more acutely aware of how crap they are.

Pequin that looks like Aztec west?

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
Pequin230.00
      02-02-2019, 01:22 PM   #29
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Quote:

I don't have winters for the current car, so it stays on the drive with weather like yesterday. Also in Brizzle.

Night and day is right. My E90 was a mountain goat in the snow on Nokians. Having had winters, I'm actually even less keen to drive any car on summers in the snow, as it's made me even more acutely aware of how crap they are.

Pequin that looks like Aztec west?
Pequin that looks like Aztec west?[/QUOTE]

Good spot, yes it is