F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY - F30 M-Performance Aero Front Lip/Splitter Install
Studio RSR

03-06-2017, 12:14 PM   #67
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakiM View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I am just hoping for close enough fitment since this is a wear item and I dont want to spend big bucks on something that will need to be replaced every so often. BUT! I dont want it to look like crap either Appreciate the help.
Here are some pics. You can see the small gap between the lip and the splitter. It's a bit picky but acceptable to me as I'll probably have to replace the lip every couple years or so.
Attached Images

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 10:04 AM   #68
pholt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Cost to color match?

Thanks for the awesome step by step guide. I have purchased a kit on ebay and will be attempting this in the next couple of weeks. I am wondering for those who color matched all or part of the kit, how much did it cost/where is the best place to get it to done? I want to go for the look of the below image, but if it's too pricey I'll just do it all black. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 01:22 PM   #69
BryanF30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black 2013 335i xdrive m-sport

Thank you very much for this write up! 2 questions.

1) When attaching the adapter to the car first instead of in the living room, did you still use the 3m tape to attach the adapter to the lip?

2) Does the lip make accessing the intercooler from the bottom of the car any more difficult?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 04:03 PM   #70
flipporabasta
BMW n00b
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Melbourne Red

Garage List
very explanatory and i appreciate the effort in doing this diy. thanks . now i can install my lip with confidence. do you by any chance have a guide on installing the m-sideskirts?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 10:41 AM   #71
skw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholt View Post
Thanks for the awesome step by step guide. I have purchased a kit on ebay and will be attempting this in the next couple of weeks. I am wondering for those who color matched all or part of the kit, how much did it cost/where is the best place to get it to done? I want to go for the look of the below image, but if it's too pricey I'll just do it all black. Thanks in advance.
I just did that same look but also had the chrome part of the grills painted alpine white, I spray painted the slats gloss black, wrapped the roof gloss black, and did white reflective wrap over the front reflectors. I had a friend paint the parts for me at his shop so not sure of what it would normally cost.

[QUOTE=BryanF30;21456376]Thank you very much for this write up! 2 questions.

1) When attaching the adapter to the car first instead of in the living room, did you still use the 3m tape to attach the adapter to the lip?

I had the car up on jackstands and it was easy enough to attach the adapter to the car then put the lip onto it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipporabasta View Post
very explanatory and i appreciate the effort in doing this diy. thanks . now i can install my lip with confidence. do you by any chance have a guide on installing the m-sideskirts?
Look in the DIY sticky, there's a pdf w/ install instructions for everything.
'07 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 09:07 PM   #72
hnijhar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i or 435 thinkin

also what do you guys think of zip tying the whole lip to the bumper? I am thinking it should works as long as I can reach the zip tie from the back and fasten it up. I feel like that will hold better then anything else?

what im thinking now is.

1. put a zip tie thru the hole in the lip and through the hole bumper and then fasten them together from underneath and thru the back. I would do this 8 times

anyone have insight?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 07:45 PM   #73
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnijhar View Post
also what do you guys think of zip tying the whole lip to the bumper? I am thinking it should works as long as I can reach the zip tie from the back and fasten it up. I feel like that will hold better then anything else?

what im thinking now is.

1. put a zip tie thru the hole in the lip and through the hole bumper and then fasten them together from underneath and thru the back. I would do this 8 times

anyone have insight?

thanks
why do you want to use zip tie? what would be the advantage?

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 06:56 AM   #74
EatMoreLobsters
Lobster Soup
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP Black/Sakhir

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 335i xDrive  [0.00]
Awesome guide - I'm getting ready to install the RW carbon splitter today or this weekend, hopefully it is similar to OEM steps
2013 335i xDrive PWG: Bootmod3 Stage 2 | MPPK | FBO Dinan - CAI - Exhaust (Black) - Intercooler - Big Turbo - Fuel Pump | ER Downpipe | ER Chargepipe | BMS WMI Kit | KW V1 Suspension | Vorsteiner v-ff 103 | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
https://www.instagram.com/m3_blake
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 12:06 PM   #75
waqas1988
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
dude... i LOVE New York and LOVE BEER even MORE - don't tempt me because i will make YOU PAY
How fast have you been in the car? Does the lip stay on? I hit 90 and i think the air pressure pushed the lip down, scraping and breaking it.

Plz let me know.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 01:49 PM   #76
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by waqas1988 View Post
How fast have you been in the car? Does the lip stay on? I hit 90 and i think the air pressure pushed the lip down, scraping and breaking it.

Plz let me know.

Thanks.
The lip was probably not installed properly
I have tracked my car and hit over 125 mph several times ... never had any issue
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 12:08 PM   #77
bimmerboy71195
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: alpine white 340xi

Beautiful splitter and write up, I'm on the fence about ordering one for my 340i my concern is that it will hang to low and get scratched on drive ways,curbs or get damaged if I'm driving in snow? Need some help
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 10:40 PM   #78
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340ix ///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy71195 View Post
Beautiful splitter and write up, I'm on the fence about ordering one for my 340i my concern is that it will hang to low and get scratched on drive ways,curbs or get damaged if I'm driving in snow? Need some help
I’m in the same boat as you. I’ve had the replica unit sitting in my cart on eBay from Ikon Motorsports for a while now. Being in the Boston area, I’m nervous about it being too low in the snow as well. But for $128, I think you can’t go wrong.

And for those members who ordered off eBay, did you have to buy the mounting hardware separately? I noticed that most vendors sell the clips, screws and 3M tape as a separate package. I emailed Ikon Motorsports and the seller said that the hardware IS included.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 03:16 PM   #79
flavush
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: AW F31 335i xDrive

Thank you very much.
This thread was very helpful

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #80
JimPastell
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 G01

Garage List
Great DIY!
Helped me this weekend
Attached Images

06-11-2018, 03:20 PM   #81
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335dx F31 Shadow EB

Hi guys, have any of you had aerodynamic problems following fitting just the front splitter?
I have the official BMW fitting instructions from F30POST.com/ BIMMERPOST.com and just about the first thing it says is that if the front splitter is fitted then the rear spoiler MUST also be fitted. I'm assuming for aero reasons.

My F31 335d will be delivered in September and while I love the front splitter and rear undertray diffuser I absolutely HATE the way the tailgate spoiler looks, I'd love to be able to forget it

Aftermarket carbon fibre for me, There's no way I'm paying £995 for each end when I can get both online for around £500, or £350 if I go for ABS plastic
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 12:47 AM   #82
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I like to chime in and thank the OP for this old thread as well. I too purchased the replica front splitter for my 2017 M Sport and fitment was on the order of 90 to 95%. I paid only $90 as I used eBay's 20% Father's Day code so I'm beyond thrilled at paying only 1/5 of the OEM one.

Like my replica rear diffuser, the Taiwanese made piece was well packed. Mine actually came pre-riveted with aluminum rivets saving me the trouble of having to do the work. I added extra 3M double sided tape at the top to secure it better but I know that I might have to redo it over time as it's in an area where it will come in contact with lots of dirt, rain, snow and road salt.

My guess on the fitment issue is that the OEM one from BMW is made to fit the bumper edge to edge as it is adhered with a glue vs double stick tape which actually "shims" the pieces slightly and contributes to the minor gaps at the sides and top. Also, the hard plastic it's made with seem to have contacted every so slightly making it fit to with in 95% edge to edge. I had the same issue with my rear diffuser. I installed on a cool day and it didn't fit. It was off by 2-3mm on each side. But when I heated it with a heat gun, it magically "expanded" just enough to fit! So you do get what you pay for but there's no way in heck I'm paying 3-5x more for the last few percents of perfect fitment.

Interestingly, my replica carbon fiber rear spoiler fit perfectly! Perhaps CF behaves quite differently vs the plastics the the splitter and diffusers are made of.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 12:55 AM   #83
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredGeek View Post
Hi guys, have any of you had aerodynamic problems following fitting just the front splitter?
I have the official BMW fitting instructions from F30POST.com/ BIMMERPOST.com and just about the first thing it says is that if the front splitter is fitted then the rear spoiler MUST also be fitted. I'm assuming for aero reasons.

My F31 335d will be delivered in September and while I love the front splitter and rear undertray diffuser I absolutely HATE the way the tailgate spoiler looks, I'd love to be able to forget it

Aftermarket carbon fibre for me, There's no way I'm paying £995 for each end when I can get both online for around £500, or £350 if I go for ABS plastic
I too noticed the blurb about the need to install the rear wing with the splitter. I have both and my guess is that they wanted you to have balanced downforce at both the front and rear. The front splitter helps to generate more downforce and reduce lift and my guess is that they don't want the rear to go light if you negate the rear trunk/boot spoiler. Granted, you probably have to be going a pretty good clip to cause an imbalance but I'm sure BMW wants to save their AND your rear.

And I'm all for the aftermarket CF rear wings on eBay. I have had mine installed for the last 8 months and I admire it daily. Best $130 I spent!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 11:35 AM   #84
Jfrisco
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 jet black

Anyone have pics or any experience with purchasing just the " fang splitters", without the lip? Saw a bunch of carbon fiber ones in ebay. I just want to know if it looks good and if anyone has them.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 03:18 AM   #85
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

Thanks to the OP for the nice detailed thread.

1 question. I also have a non OE splitter which Im fitting this weekend.
However after reading BMW fittment guide, it appears to be a good bit different the OP’s post, especially when it comes to C-clips and the way bracket and the lip are joined.
Can anyone shed some light based on fitting experience?
Regards
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #86
mdand
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Anyone encounter this problem?

I used the adhesives that came with the packaging that connects the inner mount to the splitter. There is noticeable bowing where the adhesive is not sticking to the splitter. Will some 3M and adhesive promoter address this issue as well?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 06:24 PM   #87
mdand
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand View Post
I used the adhesives that came with the packaging that connects the inner mount to the splitter. There is noticeable bowing where the adhesive is not sticking to the splitter. Will some 3M and adhesive promoter address this issue as well?
I ended up just using a zip tie, hardly noticeable and never have to worry about the adhesive failing.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 04:50 PM   #88
kjames28
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

mdand how did you use a zip tie to correct this bowing/warping issue? Mine is doing this on both the left and right side and looks exactly like yours did. Did you actually drill holes for the zip tie or did you use existing holes?

I took it back to the shop that installed it and they tried putting some 3m adhesive to fix but they said that the wind had already warped it? Also used a heat gun they said but maybe I can try this again?
Appreciate 0