F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Anyone disassemble the headlights yet?
GetBMWParts

09-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
joker_20_02
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Just wondering if anyone has a quick write up or would mind doing one real quick.

I will be doing the led angel eye upgrade soon and was just wondering if anyone has dissembled them before.

I have done a few sets of headlight disassembly for angel eyes and housing painting and am pretty familiar with the usual process usually needed but have not had a chance to disassemble these yet so any hints/tips ect are more than welcome.
Thanks
-Joseph
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
These headlights are permanently sealed, they wont be as easy to open as the traditional headlights open.

What rings are you planning to install?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
joker_20_02
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor@ONEighty View Post
These headlights are permanently sealed, they wont be as easy to open as the traditional headlights open.

What rings are you planning to install?
When you say Permanently sealed do you mean with a heat based adhesive? Or more permanent than that?
I have done a few non bmw's as well which use the heat based adhessive.

I bought your style 1's
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

keep us updated on how this turns out
      09-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

One retrofit company told me that the whole clear plastic housing had to be cut out to open then glued/resealed back together.. I decided not to try it... If you find a way please post.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker_20_02 View Post
When you say Permanently sealed do you mean with a heat based adhesive? Or more permanent than that?
I have done a few non bmw's as well which use the heat based adhessive.

I bought your style 1's
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapkanimd View Post
One retrofit company told me that the whole clear plastic housing had to be cut out to open then glued/resealed back together.. I decided not to try it... If you find a way please post.
Its sealed with permanent seal, its a silicone which doesn't get affected by the heat, we tried melting a piece of the silicone with a 400 degree celsius soldering iron and it had no affect on it. At those temperatures, the plastic in the headlight would completely melt.

Most companies choose the easy way out and simply cut the lens off. We've done that several times and no longer do it that way. It leaves no room for error & looks messy and unprofessional.

To open these headlights the "traditional way" without cutting them open requires about a total of 1 hour oven time per headlight, and prying the seal open with some muscle. It's prone to damaging the channel of the housing but its repairable, and to seal the headlight, we completely clean out the old silicone and use OEM headlight sealant that can be purchased from theretrofitsource.com.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Igor_M5; 09-11-2013 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 0