F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Making rims black
GetBMWParts

01-13-2020, 05:39 PM   #23
WaleeF30
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi E92

I'm thinking about plasti dipping mine tbh, like everyone else said I don't think it's worth spending $600 to powder coat oems.

I have the same rims! How many coats did you do on them and what kind of dip did you use? They look pretty nice and glossy! I had plasti dip on my previous car but it kept going dull and faded out

P.s. mine have some lovely curb rashes which I may have to sand down, any experience with that?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 05:51 PM   #24
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishan99 View Post
Hey guys! I want to make my rims black. They already are but they are plasti dipped. I want to know what my options are. I know there's painting, wrapping, plasti dipping. Are there other options?
I understand that you like the style of your wheels but prefer them in black. Have you checked to see if those same wheels are sold with a black finish. Rather than powder coat, have you looked for a used set in black? That may cost you nothing or a minimal amount after you sell your current wheels.

FYI- Powder coating those four wheels in the Philadelphia area would be about $500 and removing, mounting & balancing wouldn't cost more than $100.
Appreciate 1
Ishan99115.00
      01-21-2020, 03:22 PM   #25
Ishan99
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaleeF30 View Post
I'm thinking about plasti dipping mine tbh, like everyone else said I don't think it's worth spending $600 to powder coat oems.

I have the same rims! How many coats did you do on them and what kind of dip did you use? They look pretty nice and glossy! I had plasti dip on my previous car but it kept going dull and faded out

P.s. mine have some lovely curb rashes which I may have to sand down, any experience with that?
I would do 5 coats of plasti dip and 3 coats of glossifier. The brand you get at Walmart. I also have curb rash. The plasti dip covers it up but it peels off easily. The shop is talking to for powder coating said it would be 500-600 for all the services including curb rash. He said 600 would be of the wheels are in awful shape but mine are not so it would probably be 550
Follow @Black_Lux_Cars on IG
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2020, 03:28 PM   #26
Ishan99
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishan99 View Post
Hey guys! I want to make my rims black. They already are but they are plasti dipped. I want to know what my options are. I know there's painting, wrapping, plasti dipping. Are there other options?
I understand that you like the style of your wheels but prefer them in black. Have you checked to see if those same wheels are sold with a black finish. Rather than powder coat, have you looked for a used set in black? That may cost you nothing or a minimal amount after you sell your current wheels.

FYI- Powder coating those four wheels in the Philadelphia area would be about $500 and removing, mounting & balancing wouldn't cost more than $100.
I did look but I can only find them in black for the other stock OEM style. And yeah, the new shop in talking to said they will also include fixing the curb rash. 500-600.
Follow @Black_Lux_Cars on IG
Appreciate 0