F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > What to get for a puncture now that I have non run flats?
GetBMWParts

01-19-2020, 06:15 AM   #1
DocS
Rep
Drives: F30 335d X-Drive

What to get for a puncture now that I have non run flats?

Hi all
New to this forum. Got a 335d X-drive which had RFTs when I got it. Had a puncture that was terminal after hitting a pot hole (could not even drive after despite it being RFT).
Finally have made a jump to non Run flats. Was very dubious to go away from RFTs but it has changed the car's handling completely and in a good way.
So now, I need something in the boot for future punctures. No space for spare since need the boot space on a daily basis, so looking at a compressor and what else?
Looking at slime or puncture kit (realise need to get a jack as well if I get a puncture kit), so any recommendation particularly with anyone who has had the unfortunate scenario of a puncture and had to do something by the road side themselves?
Very grateful for any advice. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 07:47 AM   #2
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Space saver or just call BMW assist.
      01-19-2020, 07:52 AM   #3
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
i got an airman tyre goo(18) and flyina air pump(27) of Amazon
on xmas day car hit a pothole and immediately the pressure went from 2.6 to 0 .4psi!
the goo n air pump did nothing for me as tyre had taken the full impact and had been wrecked.
A 24hr mobile tyre came out and put a budget tyre on a week lster later on i got rid of it once the michelins were ordered in by my tyre fitter. Total expense £360.

so with the goo n inflator do keep a couple of local 24hr fitters numbers to hand.(i learnt this at short notice the hard way)

ps i don't want to carry any spare wheel as i need the space for prams bags etc
The inconvenience of the above is a small price to pay for the transformation in ride and comfort the non runflat provides.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 07:58 AM   #4
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

I carry a mobility kit in the boot (comprises some tyre weld type stuff plus a compressor to get it into the tyre if it goes down). I think M-cars with conventional tyres come with something similar from the factory (or at least my old E46 M3 did) but I've no idea how effective they are in practice as thankfully I've never had to use one!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 07:59 AM   #5
Hugrov
Captain
Rep
Drives: F36 LCI

I use a compressor and sealant kit and I also carry a Femor puncture kit to plug a hole if needs be. I haven't had to use it on my own car yet but it worked a treat recently when I used it to help a women who was stranded with a puncture. The fiber strip plugged the hole perfectly and the tyre held pressure to get her home
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
sspade2464.50
      01-19-2020, 08:05 AM   #6
DocS
Rep

Thank you all.
Wills2- spare including a space saver is a non starter since I need the boot everyday and there is no space for the tyre apart from in the boot itself.
KRS_SN- RAC towed me last week and got the mobile tyre fitters to fit the new tyres next day since it was late night and they couldn't do it.
Have ordered a compressor from Amazon today.
Just deciding if goo or puncture kit since reading through the forums, there is positive and negative for both since some people are saying goo does not work at all and some tyre fitter won't repair a tyre if goo is used, which is a worry!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 08:06 AM   #7
DocS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugrov View Post
I use a compressor and sealant kit and I also carry a Femor puncture kit to plug a hole if needs be. I haven't had to use it on my own car yet but it worked a treat recently when I used it to help a women who was stranded with a puncture. The fiber strip plugged the hole perfectly and the tyre held pressure to get her home
Belts and braces- maybe I need to get both!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 08:27 AM   #8
Hugrov
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocS View Post
Quote:
Belts and braces- maybe I need to get both!!!
I would personally. Her sealent was out of date and wouldn't seal the hole so the plug kit definitely saved the day..........and saved her having to get recovered etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 08:49 AM   #9
DocS
Rep

Quote:
I would personally. Her sealent was out of date and wouldn't seal the hole so the plug kit definitely saved the day..........and saved her having to get recovered etc.
Thanks Hugrov. I will get it sorted today. Which sealant do you recommend?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 09:01 AM   #10
Hugrov
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Hugrov. I will get it sorted today. Which sealant do you recommend?
No probs, I use the AirMan ResQ compressor/sealant kit from Amazon, its a decent kit for the money imo.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 09:19 AM   #11
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
I have TyreWeld, a Ring heavy duty compressor and the puncture repair strips very similar to the kit shown in Hugrov's reply.

I haven't had a puncture for the past 60K miles but have used one of the strips to repair a puncture on a family member's Macan. It held pressure for a week's driving over several hundred miles - no psi loss at all. If it was my car I'd have left it as a permanent repair for the life of the tyre.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
Hugrov423.00
      01-19-2020, 09:28 AM   #12
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Hi all
New to this forum. Got a 335d X-drive which had RFTs when I got it. Had a puncture that was terminal after hitting a pot hole (could not even drive after despite it being RFT).
Finally have made a jump to non Run flats. Was very dubious to go away from RFTs but it has changed the car's handling completely and in a good way.
So now, I need something in the boot for future punctures. No space for spare since need the boot space on a daily basis, so looking at a compressor and what else?
Looking at slime or puncture kit (realise need to get a jack as well if I get a puncture kit), so any recommendation particularly with anyone who has had the unfortunate scenario of a puncture and had to do something by the road side themselves?
Very grateful for any advice. Thank you
Congrats on ditching the runflats. Real tires make them seem like old wooden wagon wheels.

Slime is the preferred sealant and it's supposed to wipe right out without damaging TPMS sensors. They sell many products but their "8-Minute" compressor kit seems best for our needs. (Available at Walmart in US) The compressor also comes in handy to adjust tire air pressures.

Slime also sells a small inexpensive kit to fix a nail hole type of flat with a plug the old fashioned way. (Also at Walmart) Suggest carrying some pliers too. If you spot a nail which often cause such leaks you'll have to be able to pull the nail out before you can plug the hole. A cheap pair of mechanics, or even gardeners, gloves help if you are on the side of the road.

Carry a 21"-24" breaker bar (1/2" driver preferred) and a matching 17" long socket for wheel bolts.

There are inexpensive scissor jacks with a rectangular piece on top that fits perfectly inside the BMW plastic jack point. (Available at Harbor Freight in the US.) It helps to carry a small piece of 3/4" thick plywood to fit under the scissor jack on soft ground. Sometimes if a tire is completely deflated it won't hold air because it leaks out between the wheel and the tire bead. Being able to jack the car up to relieve the pressure often allows the Slime compressor to fill the tire with air even if the hole can be patched without filling the tire with Slime.

I bought an inexpensive used 400M wheel to mount an older tire that I use as a spare. I carry this with me on trips. An emergency spare with its its 50 mile limit would force me to alter my trip schedule to find a tire replacement. A full size spare is the least disruptive especially when I'm traveling hundreds of miles. I keep the spare inside a nylon tire bag so I can easily place it in the back seat if I need to hide luggage in the rear.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-19-2020, 09:57 AM   #13
DocS
Rep

Thank you all. A separate compressor, tyreweld and femor repair kit ordered. Just holding fire on the jack since need to see how much space I have left in the boot. Appreciate all the advice.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 10:39 AM   #14
Liquidfox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
No probs, I use the AirMan ResQ compressor/sealant kit from Amazon, its a decent kit for the money imo.
Wouldn't that stuff ruin your TPMS sensor?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 10:54 AM   #15
doncarlyon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 300 Trophy

I need a better compressor, mine really struggles to get above 30psi.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 11:39 AM   #16
shoestring
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 320D Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidfox View Post
I agree. Slime will ruin the TPMS sensor!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 02:55 PM   #17
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoestring View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidfox View Post
Nope!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 02:59 PM   #18
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you all. A separate compressor, tyreweld and femor repair kit ordered. Just holding fire on the jack since need to see how much space I have left in the boot. Appreciate all the advice.
FYI- all of the things that I listed including the scissor jack in its box, fit easily in the the underfloor storage compartment of my '15 335ix with room to spare.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:29 AM   #19
DocS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoestring View Post
Have got written confirmation from the tyreweld people that it won't damage the TPMS. If it does, I will use that for them to reimburse my cost of the TPMS. Hopefully won't come to that and I never have to use the stuff!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:31 AM   #20
DocS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
FYI- all of the things that I listed including the scissor jack in its box, fit easily in the the underfloor storage compartment of my '15 335ix with room to spare.
Just got all the stuff today apart from the jack and it all fits neatly into the underfloor storage compartment and still some space for the jack left. Have some stuff already in there like defrosting spray and gloves etc, so will be a tight fit!!!
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      01-21-2020, 06:58 AM   #21
Mustard3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

i got this type of thing with mushroom shaped plugs to (hopefully) seal the hole more securely.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spring-Infl...omotive&sr=1-3

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 07:11 AM   #22
RobG_M340
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M340xi

Garage List
1973 Jeep CJ5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
I skip the slime and hassle of roadside kits and just get a tow to a repair spot from roadside assist ( AAA, BMW Roadside or Roadside included with a lot of Amex/Chase credit cards).
Appreciate 0