F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Is F30 so reliable that online forums are so quiet?
Extreme Powerhouse

03-27-2017, 02:18 PM   #23
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB_123_99 View Post
Mine has been below average, 2013 328i x-drive sport-line, 36k miles. The following is my list of "breakdowns" all fixed under warranty.

Leaking rear differential from half-shaft seal
Exhaust VANOS solenoid failed
FEM ECU glitches, replaced
Exhaust flap rattle when cold (dealer refuses to fix)
Thermostat failed
Radiator fan failed
Oil Filter Housing Gasket leak, replaced
Valve Cover Gasket starting to sweat in a few places
Bubbling paint on plastic roof rails, rails replaced
Failed thermostat on ATF heat exchanger, heat exchanger replaced

I think this is a lot of problems for a premium brand vehicle that is less than 4 years old. I will not be keeping this car at lease-end but will likely lease another BMW. I have brand loyalty to BMW having owned many vehicles over the years and will give them another chance.
all this on a car with 36k? thats the most pathetic thing I have ever heard.

the n20 and n63 turbo v8 are both notorious for being gigantic pieces of shit.

the N52 and n55 is what you want if you are looking for reliability. I have 75K and havent had to change or fix ONE SINGLE THING.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 02:22 PM   #24
tgmsocal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
Quote:
Mine has been below average, 2013 328i x-drive sport-line, 36k miles. The following is my list of "breakdowns" all fixed under warranty.

Thermostat failed
Radiator fan failed

I think this is a lot of problems for a premium brand vehicle that is less than 4 years old. I will not be keeping this car at lease-end but will likely lease another BMW. I have brand loyalty to BMW having owned many vehicles over the years and will give them another chance.

the N52 and n55 is what you want if you are looking for reliability. I have 75K and havent had to change or fix ONE SINGLE THING.
Every. Single. Thread. Dude move on and find a new hobby instead of regurgitating the few stories you've read on the forums. Its getting old.

Wish I could just block you like I would if you were a FB friend or texting me.

OP, hopefully this kid doesn't get to you, he likes to fear monger and trash talk all over a forum of a car he doesn't even own.

-tgm
Appreciate 4
      03-27-2017, 02:27 PM   #25
goofyboots81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 428xi

Garage List
2010 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
2014 BMW 428xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmsocal View Post
Every. Single. Thread. Dude move on and find a new hobby instead of regurgitating the few stories you've read on the forums. Its getting old.

OP, hopefully this kid doesn't get to you, he likes to fear monger and trash talk all over a forum of a car he doesn't even own.

-tgm
Seconded
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 02:46 PM   #26
SoDiezl350
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmsocal View Post

-tgm
You can; just go to his user profile and select "ignore user"
Appreciate 2
      03-27-2017, 04:33 PM   #27
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:

Thermostat failed
Radiator fan failed

Wow this is an impressive list, esp. in QC weather!

Did most of these throw a code or something?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 04:50 PM   #28
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Ok, this is a F32 yet.... A big part of why i chose to get a CPO 2014 435i (with M options and most other bits) is due to reliability plus the engine/trans combo seems to be a real winner in performance *and* reliability.

Ok, other reasons were the lowest CG BMW offers and 50/50 weight split. When you plan to track a car these things do matter. BTW soon she'll be a full Dinan Stage 4 and thus equal to a current stock M4 in HP/TQ, yet in what i felt was a better looking package with good interior space.

All in all, expect this to be a very reliable N55 / 8 speed trans combo.
I'm interested in the expected/actual reliability under track conditions.

With those powertrain mods, there's no way the N55/ZF 8HP45 will be nearly as reliable as a stock M3/M4 if your tracking a lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 05:20 PM   #29
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Quote:

Thermostat failed
Radiator fan failed

Wow this is an impressive list, esp. in QC weather!

Did most of these throw a code or something?
All electronics throw a code. The differential leak I discovered by accident. I have a post about it if you search back far enough. Oil leaks are evident under the hood.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 05:25 PM   #30
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

Quote:
Quote:

Thermostat failed
Radiator fan failed

I wouldn't go that far. I didn't have any N20 specific breakdown, all of these components could have failed on any engine. I owned an N52 for what it's worth.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 05:31 PM   #31
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
I'm interested in the expected/actual reliability under track conditions.

With those powertrain mods, there's no way the N55/ZF 8HP45 will be nearly as reliable as a stock M3/M4 if your tracking a lot.
Very good point, i should have clarified a bit.

Occasional tracking should be ok. For serious tracking I'd probably go back to a Formula 2000 like i raced in SCCA or maybe a DSR or CSR. The BMW, or any road car, is really just a compromise for tracking. Once you go full-on track car you may quickly realize even a street Ferrari is kinda slow and can't do 2g in the twistes, whereas i was doing ~3.5g in the F2000. We're talking 1200 lbs wet with driver, triple adjustable Pensky shocks, full adjustable aero package, yada yada yada. You can optomize gearing, aero package (had multiple aero options plus they are adjustable within a range) and suspension for each track too. The LD200 only takes me about 45 minutes from first bolt off to last bolt on for gear changes.

So yes you have a great point, the 435i will be a fully street legal car with a bit of added fun, just like an M3 or M4. Not really serious track cars, yet ok for some track fun here and there. For those curious.... www.EnjoyTheTrack.com

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.

Last edited by enjoythemusic; 03-27-2017 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 08:34 PM   #32
ToniCipriani
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 N20B0O ZMT 7AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
It's great to see, especially when a few "so called friends of mine" recommended against anything German due to cost and reliability, especially BMW. I'm finding that they're more morons than friends, lol
Well to be fair, BMW's parts and consumables is definitely a wee bit higher, but not by that much like most people make out to be.

I currently own both (domestic and German), have the costs side by side.
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00
      03-27-2017, 08:42 PM   #33
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani
Quote:
It's great to see, especially when a few "so called friends of mine" recommended against anything German due to cost and reliability, especially BMW. I'm finding that they're more morons than friends, lol
Well to be fair, BMW's parts and consumables is definitely a wee bit higher, but not by that much like most people make out to be.

I currently own both (domestic and German), have the costs side by side.
Well put there. It's funny when people think BMW oil changes are several hundred dollars

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 10:22 PM   #34
ToniCipriani
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well put there. It's funny when people think BMW oil changes are several hundred dollars
If you add the labour and stuff, that's when it stacks up. There's a price to pay for a "luxury" experience, but for me I just treat mine like a car, take it to the indie shop, do research on parts, or just DIY it. THEN it makes no difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 10:41 PM   #35
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Thermostat failed
Radiator fan failed

Here comes the troll and his sad indulgences.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 2
jeffc83725.00
arvi60461.00
      03-27-2017, 11:03 PM   #36
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If you add the labour and stuff, that's when it stacks up. There's a price to pay for a "luxury" experience, but for me I just treat mine like a car, take it to the indie shop, do research on parts, or just DIY it. THEN it makes no difference.
I'll be doing the same once warranty is up...

As a side note, I hear about people beating these cars to hell quite often and they're still able to rack up the miles over the years with no major issues. I hate to keep bringing up Cadillac but after owning many of them, I've found that they just cannot be abused and continue to run. The parts just can't hold up even on the new models unless you go V and even then, I cannot say how well they hold up. Damn American cars

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 11:20 PM   #37
arvi604
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328xi SPORT

I bought my 2013 328xi pre owned with 49500 KM in November and recently had the engine thermostat (common issue apparently) and both front thrust rod bushings replaced under third party warranty. The rod bushings doesn't seem to be a common issue as I haven't heard much of other people having that issue. Other than that, very happy.

Edit: warranty work done at 57500km
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 11:45 PM   #38
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Had my '13 328i for 56k miles. Absolutely no problems. Did all the free scheduled maintenance. Nothing ever broke, always ran like a dream. Generally though, I don't keep German cars more than 60k miles.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 12:03 PM   #39
ToniCipriani
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83
Quote:
Quote:
I'll be doing the same once warranty is up...

As a side note, I hear about people beating these cars to hell quite often and they're still able to rack up the miles over the years with no major issues. I hate to keep bringing up Cadillac but after owning many of them, I've found that they just cannot be abused and continue to run. The parts just can't hold up even on the new models unless you go V and even then, I cannot say how well they hold up. Damn American cars
Well my Solstice seem to be holding up pretty well, but I do baby it (minus putting her through winters past 5 years...)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 12:04 PM   #40
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

It is quieter here than on the E90 forums where it seems you read about nothing but problems post after post.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #41
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
Well my Solstice seem to be holding up pretty well, but I do baby it (minus putting her through winters past 5 years...)
BMW oil changes are about $100. You save maybe $20 doing it yourself, so not a whole lot basically.
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00
      03-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #42
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Almost forgot already! Yes, Pontiac used to make great cars and GM screwed that one up badly; the Solstice is a keeper just the the G6!!!! If either my old 2008 and/or 2010 CTS4 would've remained reliable, I'd still have it today as a beater car. Coil packs, torque converter, failing electronics and all at 56k forced me to sell. (the '08 was even worse)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 12:20 PM   #43
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Almost forgot already! Yes, Pontiac used to make great cars and GM screwed that one up badly; the Solstice is a keeper just the the G6!!!! If either my old 2008 and/or 2010 CTS4 would've remained reliable, I'd still have it today as a beater car. Coil packs, torque converter, failing electronics and all at 56k forced me to sell. (the '08 was even worse)
It's amazing the problems that occur even in brand new cars off the dealer lot with GM, Ford and Hyundai. Just silly mistakes made during manufacturing.
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00
      03-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #44
ToniCipriani
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456
Quote:
BMW oil changes are about $100. You save maybe $20 doing it yourself, so not a whole lot basically.
Solstice takes under 5L of Pennzoil 5W30, $18, WIX filter for $6.
F30 takes about 5L of Castrol 0W40 A3/B3, $26.99, $16 for MANN filter kit.

I can take it to my mechanic for $20 labour. Granted I picked those up during Black Friday.
Appreciate 0