F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Std. 440i GC brakes vs MSport + brakes
GetBMWParts

08-09-2018, 04:06 PM   #1
Quantox
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440iGC, CQ, Ivory White, MPPSK

Std. 440i GC brakes vs MSport + brakes

I'm sure this must have been covered several times before but I cannot find a definitive answer via the "Search" option.
I'm contemplating a very low mileage '18 plate 440i GC that has an otherwise nice spec. but no MSport + package. I'm sure that I can upgrade the sound system relatively easily but I'm curious as to the std. spec. brakes compared to the MSport + brakes that I have on my current 330dxD.

From casual observation the rear calipers are single pot floating on the GC vs twin pot fixed with MS+. The front calipers on the GC appear to be the same four pot fixed as the MS+ but perhaps with a smaller disc size?

Main reason for asking is that I'd like to MPPSK the car but have an inkling that BMW won't allow this with non-MSport+ brakes, is this correct?

I'd welcome some knowledgable input on this comparison please.

Thanks.

Q
      08-09-2018, 06:39 PM   #2
R99
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantox View Post
I'm sure this must have been covered several times before but I cannot find a definitive answer via the "Search" option.
I'm contemplating a very low mileage '18 plate 440i GC that has an otherwise nice spec. but no MSport + package. I'm sure that I can upgrade the sound system relatively easily but I'm curious as to the std. spec. brakes compared to the MSport + brakes that I have on my current 330dxD.

From casual observation the rear calipers are single pot floating on the GC vs twin pot fixed with MS+. The front calipers on the GC appear to be the same four pot fixed as the MS+ but perhaps with a smaller disc size?

Main reason for asking is that I'd like to MPPSK the car but have an inkling that BMW won't allow this with non-MSport+ brakes, is this correct?

I'd welcome some knowledgable input on this comparison please.

Thanks.

Q
The stock 335d / 335i / 340i get 4 pot Brembo’s as standard. However, as you rightly state, it is with a smaller 340mm disc & the calipers are a bare metal, unpainted, finish. The models I mentioned are the only cars to receive this set up.

On F3x cars with either the “M Sport plus pack” or the “M Sport braking system” the cars come with the blue Brembo’s 4 pots on the front and 2 pots on the rear. The sizing depends on engine configuration.

325d upwards and 328i upwards get 370mm front / 345mm rear

320d below and 320i below get 340mm front / 345mm rear

With regards to the MPPSK - I can’t answer that!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 07:21 PM   #3
Quantox
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R99 View Post
The stock 335d / 335i / 340i get 4 pot Brembo’s as standard. However, as you rightly state, it is with a smaller 340mm disc & the calipers are a bare metal, unpainted, finish. The models I mentioned are the only cars to receive this set up.

On F3x cars with either the “M Sport plus pack” or the “M Sport braking system” the cars come with the blue Brembo’s 4 pots on the front and 2 pots on the rear. The sizing depends on engine configuration.

That's very helpful thank you. My 330dxD has the MS+ set up, so I'm familiar with the dinner plate size of the discs, something many folk have commented on.
Also, I believe the std. 440i GC brakes would be more than adequate for road use but I have this niggling doubt (from a previous, now old), thread on here that BMW restrict MPPSK fitment to those vehicles with the MS+ brakes?

I've asked the dealer to quote on the MPPSK but the salesman didn't know what an MPPSK was, thought the "sound" bit was Hi-Fi related? Anyhow his parts department quoted £3200. He's gone away to re-think the entire deal.

Does anyone have a definitive answer to the fitment of an MPPSK to a non-MSport Plus vehicle?

Regards

Q
      08-10-2018, 02:01 AM   #4
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:

They’re not bare metal, they’re painted silver.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 03:35 AM   #5
R99
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Not sure on that one mate. I sold these this week & they certainly didn’t look painted to me?

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 03:53 AM   #6
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Me - 440i , Dog - Cayenne

I am close to getting the MPPK fitted to my 440i and have been doing a bit of digging around as to best prices etc.

There are a few BMW dealers on eBay offering the complete kit from £1600 upwards , plus fitting , they also say in the listing to call them with your reg number to confirm compatibility so i would give them a call with the details of the car you are contemplating and see what they say.

I personally dont see why the kit cant be fitted to non M Sport + vehicles.

I have been quoted £1950 ,locally, fully fitted to my 440 , that is with two hours labour , i just need to get some more sheckles together before i take the plunge.

Kenny
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 05:56 AM   #7
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Not sure on that one mate. I sold these this week & they certainly didn’t look painted to me?

They are painted with something, it's just a bit cack though.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 10:00 AM   #8
Vasumir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i

Quote:
That's very helpful thank you. My 330dxD has the MS+ set up, so I'm familiar with the dinner plate size of the discs, something many folk have commented on.
Also, I believe the std. 440i GC brakes would be more than adequate for road use but I have this niggling doubt (from a previous, now old), thread on here that BMW restrict MPPSK fitment to those vehicles with the MS+ brakes?

I've asked the dealer to quote on the MPPSK but the salesman didn't know what an MPPSK was, thought the "sound" bit was Hi-Fi related? Anyhow his parts department quoted £3200. He's gone away to re-think the entire deal.

Does anyone have a definitive answer to the fitment of an MPPSK to a non-MSport Plus vehicle?

Regards

Q
I have the mppsk on a car without the m sport plus pack. Didn't like the blue brake colour and didn't like the 19 alloys with it. So I can confirm it's entirely possible!
Price you should be looking at £1600-1800. Most reasonable dealers were price matching each other on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 11:00 AM   #9
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

Or just get a remap now they are available. More power for less money.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 03:37 PM   #10
Quantox
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasumir View Post
I have the mppsk on a car without the m sport plus pack. Didn't like the blue brake colour and didn't like the 19 alloys with it. So I can confirm it's entirely possible!
Price you should be looking at £1600-1800. Most reasonable dealers were price matching each other on it.
Thanks for the info. The dealer has confirmed it's OK to MPPSK this car but they want an arm and a leg, £3042, crazy, I've seen Lookers (Crewe) offering £1904 fitted. My insurer also says no, so I need to find a new insurer. AF site isn't working properly at the moment, I'll call them tomorrow. Any other suggestions?

Blue wouldn't go with the body colour of this car either and the 20" alloys make the 340mm discs look a bit small but I can't see them while I'm driving. Cosmetically, the rest of the car is absolutely brilliantly modded but I would also like to match the torque of my current 330xD and enjoy some petrol smoothness and sound.

Cheers.

Q
      08-10-2018, 03:39 PM   #11
Quantox
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Yep, the calipers on this 440i look just the same as these, probably a thin metallic electrocoat finish.

Thanks for the info.

Q
      08-10-2018, 04:24 PM   #12
Quantox
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-c View Post
Or just get a remap now they are available. More power for less money.
Thanks for the suggestion, a third party remap would be ideal but being slightly risk averse I appreciate maintaining the warranty cover on a nearly new car.

Cheers

Q
      08-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #13
Quantox
Captain
Rep

Question now resolved

Thanks to all who responded. I've now overcome the whole question by kicking that car into touch and buying a car that's MS+ equipped. A 4 month old, 2.5k miles 440i GC in Champagne Quartz with Ivory White interior, sunroof, adaptive susp., driver assistance, comfort package etc. Spotless and lovely.
It lacks a reversing camera so this is something I'll be checking out as a retrofit/aftermarket item.

Not able to collect until 22nd. so no photos, sorry.

Cheers

Q
      08-13-2018, 02:41 AM   #14
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure on that one mate. I sold these this week & they certainly didn't look painted to me?

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Yep, the calipers on this 440i look just the same as these, probably a thin metallic electrocoat finish.

Thanks for the info.

Q
Just be aware that the non M Sport Brakes rust up very quickly, especially on the hub. That's the main reason I got M Sport Brakes on my current car. It's criminal really how bad some look even on a relatively new car. BMW should do better.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:52 PM   #15
Quantox
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willjames View Post
Just be aware that the non M Sport Brakes rust up very quickly, especially on the hub. That's the main reason I got M Sport Brakes on my current car. It's criminal really how bad some look even on a relatively new car. BMW should do better.
This was the case on the non-MS+ car I was considering, 2k miles and the hubs were already rusting whereas my 18k miles 3 yo MS+ 30dx is still fine.

Looking forward to the "new" car, with MS+, have to check out "modified" insurance and find the best value MPPSK deal in the north NW.

Q

Last edited by Quantox; 08-13-2018 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0