F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Back Ache
GetBMWParts

11-19-2015, 10:27 AM   #45
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

2 years on...how's the back pain! ?
      11-19-2015, 02:04 PM   #46
Chris Peacock
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M-Sport

Car clocked 98k miles this week, no problems with back ache.

I had the seat too low which caused the issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 05:42 PM   #47
ship4u
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
I cant comment on the F30, but have had back problems with the E90.
My first E90 330d gave my back problems but was cured with a simple cushion behind my back.
So when I ordered my current E90 I opted for lumber. What a waste of time that was and did not do anything to improve my back issues. So the cushion went back in and been fine ever since. If I don't use the cushion I can get back ache within 10 mins. With it, I can drive hours (like 5 hours today back from the Lake District) with no problems whatsoever.

So, I'd recommend to try a small cushion behind your back and see if your problems go away. I find the BMW seats to be the worse I've ever been in for back ache - for me anyway. I've never had a back problem before in any other car.
Hi Andy,
Your back issue sounds exactly like mine. Can you explain exactly the size and type of cushion that you placed behind your back and where you placed it?
Thanks,
Don
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 05:45 PM   #48
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Holy thread revival!!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 06:19 PM   #49
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship4u View Post
Hi Andy,
Your back issue sounds exactly like mine. Can you explain exactly the size and type of cushion that you placed behind your back and where you placed it?
Thanks,
Don
Blimey Don, that was like 5 years ago lol!!!!

I cant really remember exactly what cushion I used, but I used something like this in my M4 CP as it had no lumber (cant remember where I got mine from but it was similar to this). Just some kind of camping/travel cushion.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0795WSJ...787&th=1&psc=1

As for the position, just put it at the bottom of the seat back.
But of course, what works for one, doesn't always work for another, so you may have to experiment.
Attached Images

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 06:20 PM   #50
Eimal
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 435D Xdrive

I had a E85 Z4, with a slipped disc it was never a good combo. seat was simply too low, I would suggest putting your seat up as high as possible so your knees are lower down. F36 has given me no problems, if you still need a cushion i would say get something small and place it in your lumber or the arch in your lower back.

Good luck I know back pain is horrible!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #51
ship4u
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Convertible

Thanks for the replies. I have the lumbar support in my car and it doesn't help. I've studied all the suggestions I can find for proper adjustment of the seat, but nothing works. Wishing I could find an answer.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 06:30 PM   #52
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

I had back ache when I first had my car. I realised the seat base was angled too far back so I was essentially putting my body weight on my back. I didn't realise at first because when I set the seat position it felt good being angled backwards. Then I positioned the base of the seat level so I was sitting on the seat pad with my weight through my bum and not.my back. This cured my back pain. It sounds obvious but took a while to work out what was wrong.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 11:39 PM   #53
Jcborden
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Ive has my 335d for almost a year now and done a few long trips and had some real back problems during that time, In particular after a 600 mile drive up to Scotland which left me in a lot of pain the following morning and lasted weeks, even with a number of osteopath appointments. I wasn’t sure at the time whether it was the drive or loading luggage.

However we are currently driving round Europe in a family camping holiday and after a long drive into France camping the very next morning I had similar pain and thought the worst. I then stumbled upon this thread and followed some of the guidance about raising the seat and angling it backwards. Wow this has made a difference for me, my back is normal again and I am enjoying driving the car more as not worried how I’ll be in the morning! Better support under my thighhs seems to have reduced the pressure in my back which now feels more supported. Fingers crossed but looks like the solution for me!

Now for some autobahn fun!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 09:41 AM   #54
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcborden View Post
Ive has my 335d for almost a year now and done a few long trips and had some real back problems during that time, In particular after a 600 mile drive up to Scotland which left me in a lot of pain the following morning and lasted weeks, even with a number of osteopath appointments. I wasn’t sure at the time whether it was the drive or loading luggage.

However we are currently driving round Europe in a family camping holiday and after a long drive into France camping the very next morning I had similar pain and thought the worst. I then stumbled upon this thread and followed some of the guidance about raising the seat and angling it backwards. Wow this has made a difference for me, my back is normal again and I am enjoying driving the car more as not worried how I’ll be in the morning! Better support under my thighhs seems to have reduced the pressure in my back which now feels more supported. Fingers crossed but looks like the solution for me!

How strange....I found the opposite. By angling the seat back I found that this was putting weight on my back and causing the problem. With the seat level this solved things for me as the weight is now through my seat and not my back. I suppose the morale of the story i's, what ever works for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 09:46 AM   #55
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcborden View Post

How strange....I found the opposite. By angling the seat back I found that this was putting weight on my back and causing the problem. With the seat level this solved things for me as the weight is now through my seat and not my back. I suppose the morale of the story i's, what ever works for you.
+1 for having the seat base level.

-10,000 for me not speccing electric seats as I get pissed off when the stealers adjust them for the 20 seconds driving they have to do - fuckwits.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 12:46 AM   #56
Chris335dF31
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
Good advice there. It was about a year into owning my electric memory seated e61 before I realise that seat base knob actually twisted to allow the tilt!!
I know this is an old post but 4 years of ownership & I didn't realise this - brilliant. Thanks.

I know
335d F31 MSport 2017 - Sapphire Black
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 02:43 PM   #57
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

When I originally bought my first E90 some 15 years ago it was with standard seats.
That was a serious mistake. I had serious back pain that led to sciatica and a blue badge as I had difficulty in walking.
After that my BMW’s always had sports seat, with heating and lumber support also when driving the seat back is tilted back at quite an angle to take the load off my vertebra.
I never ever drive or sit at home with a vertical seat back.
It solved it for me!
Can now drive long distances with no worries and no blue badge!
Appreciate 0