F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Anyone running the mmr sump baffle?
Studio RSR

06-11-2021, 10:40 AM   #1
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

Anyone running the mmr sump baffle?

https://www.mmrperformance.co.uk/pro...55-sump-baffle

Anyone running this? Debating ordering it for when I do my pan gasket and rod bearings but wanted to see if anyone has installed one yet?
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2021, 11:46 AM   #2
pullinate
Rep
Drives: M340i

There are some guys in Germany and Switzerland running it on track.
I could link to that forum, but I guess it won't help you because it's all in German.

The oil pressure while braking is much higher, it doesn't get below idle pressure - which is kind of the main problem.
Stock the oil pressure while braking is getting way too low, much worse than if you trail brake into a left hander.

As far as I have read though, it doesn't help with oil pressure in corners at all, so you get dips in pressure still in long corners.
It's better than nothing, but as you have a N55 you can easily upgrade to the S55 sump, which is the perfect solution - you can even retrofit a proper oil dipstick than.

I wouldn't bother with that solution, as it helps under braking, but not in long corners. And in my opinion that's the most concerning part, because under braking there is literally no load at all on the engine and bearing but in corners there is load.

So the braking part doesn't seem to damage the rod bearing that much, the cornering part does and the only real good solution is the S55 sump.
Appreciate 2
      06-11-2021, 01:05 PM   #3
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullinate View Post
There are some guys in Germany and Switzerland running it on track.
I could link to that forum, but I guess it won't help you because it's all in German.

The oil pressure while braking is much higher, it doesn't get below idle pressure - which is kind of the main problem.
Stock the oil pressure while braking is getting way too low, much worse than if you trail brake into a left hander.

As far as I have read though, it doesn't help with oil pressure in corners at all, so you get dips in pressure still in long corners.
It's better than nothing, but as you have a N55 you can easily upgrade to the S55 sump, which is the perfect solution - you can even retrofit a proper oil dipstick than.

I wouldn't bother with that solution, as it helps under braking, but not in long corners. And in my opinion that's the most concerning part, because under braking there is literally no load at all on the engine and bearing but in corners there is load.

So the braking part doesn't seem to damage the rod bearing that much, the cornering part does and the only real good solution is the S55 sump.
This was a perfect response, thank you so much this was exactly what I was looking for, s55 set up it is, thank you so much for the time
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2021, 01:37 PM   #4
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

My thoughts are that if you're going to go through the labor of dropping the front subframe to modify the pan/sump, you might as well just retrofit the M car solution and be done with it.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2021, 02:02 PM   #5
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
My thoughts are that if you're going to go through the labor of dropping the front subframe to modify the pan/sump, you might as well just retrofit the M car solution and be done with it.
Truth, I was looking at the cost stand point if the mmr performed on a similar level, but the points made shows it doesn't, so as you said, the right way it is! Haha
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2021, 04:09 AM   #6
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
I don't think that it is an option for ix owners, unfortunately.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2021, 07:46 PM   #7
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I have an accusump sitting next to me at the moment, just trying to work out the best way to mount it into the car. I think the accumsump would be the easiest cheapest way out of this. plus you can get a bit of oil pressure to the engine pre-startup which is not a bad thing!

I actually bought it for my R34 skyline, but I recently sold that for the BMW, so figured it would be good on the BMW.
Appreciate 2