F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > £99 fee to diagnose while under warranty (Mini)
proTUNING Freaks

04-15-2021, 07:17 AM   #23
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
e
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
JD64270.50
Ennoch2257.00
      04-15-2021, 09:02 AM   #24
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

So I'm now told it's a build up of carbon around the intake manifold, rather than exhaust manifold. That sounded like good news to me if the exhaust is explicitly excluded.

However apparently the warranty is still refusing to cover the job it as it's not a failed component. They have approached Mini for goodwill (apparently an expensive job) and await a response. Given that this is the top level Mini warranty (Comprehensive), this sounds to me like they are trying it on. It's true that I haven't read the policy document, but with a decent company I wouldn't expect to have to.

For now I have a Countryman loan car, which is quite pleasant. Hopefully Mini will do the right thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 10:45 AM   #25
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
So I'm now told it's a build up of carbon around the intake manifold, rather than exhaust manifold. That sounded like good news to me if the exhaust is explicitly excluded.

However apparently the warranty is still refusing to cover the job it as it's not a failed component. They have approached Mini for goodwill (apparently an expensive job) and await a response. Given that this is the top level Mini warranty (Comprehensive), this sounds to me like they are trying it on. It's true that I haven't read the policy document, but with a decent company I wouldn't expect to have to.

For now I have a Countryman loan car, which is quite pleasant. Hopefully Mini will do the right thing.
So even after all that you STILL haven't read the policy wording to see what is specifically included and excluded, covered and not covered ?

Words fail me about now ... probably for the best !
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 11:28 AM   #26
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

I also thought carbon build up was actually a specific exclusion too?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 11:30 AM   #27
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
So even after all that you STILL haven't read the policy wording to see what is specifically included and excluded, covered and not covered ?

Words fail me about now ... probably for the best !
It appears that words aren't your strong point, or if they are then I sympathise.

I take the view that if I buy a car from Mini, have it serviced entirely by Mini and take their top level warranty, then the car should be pretty much covered. It may be that some things are excluded from the warranty and picked up by Mini, but I would be pretty disappointed if I had a significant bill.

As I have mentioned before, my general approach is to deal with decent companies (so no Ryanair, British Gas, BT, HUT Group...) and not worry too much about the small print in the expectation that we'll reach a sensible outcome.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 12:26 PM   #28
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaEugence View Post
I also thought carbon build up was actually a specific exclusion too?
If he'd read the warranty conditions, then he'd know for definite.

If words aren't my strong point, then it appears reading isn't his ...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 04:01 PM   #29
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
If he'd read the warranty conditions, then he'd know for definite.

If words aren't my strong point, then it appears reading isn't his ...
I have to say I am with JD6, buy the best and expect the best. If you want to sell a multi level extended warranty then the expectation is the highest level will be pretty comprehensive...

Just extending the warranty for the ex's A3. The one year add on sounds from the sales pitch on the Audi site that it is as good as the manufacturers for first three years. Should I study the small print? Nope. I'll screenshot the ads and when they try to decline any claim I will shame them in to paying (having another expensive Audi should give some leverage).

In a B2C contract the C shouldnt need a lawyer to see what they are getting...
Appreciate 3
JD64270.50
Ennoch2257.00
      04-15-2021, 05:19 PM   #30
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
I have to say I am with JD6, buy the best and expect the best. If you want to sell a multi level extended warranty then the expectation is the highest level will be pretty comprehensive...

Just extending the warranty for the ex's A3. The one year add on sounds from the sales pitch on the Audi site that it is as good as the manufacturers for first three years. Should I study the small print? Nope. I'll screenshot the ads and when they try to decline any claim I will shame them in to paying (having another expensive Audi should give some leverage).

Exactly my approach too. It would be a full time job to study the small print of all the minor contracts I enter into. So just deal with decent companies instead and rely on pressure/embarrassment when needed.

In this instance the warranty is effectively made of 2 parts which to a large extent dovetail together - the policy document and goodwill from Mini U.K. There really isn’t much point in understanding every detail of the policy document when the other part of the warranty is undefined. I don’t care if the insurer, Mini U.K. or Father Christmas pick up the bill, as long as it isn’t me!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 03:40 AM   #31
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post

Exactly my approach too. It would be a full time job to study the small print of all the minor contracts I enter into. So just deal with decent companies instead and rely on pressure/embarrassment when needed.

In this instance the warranty is effectively made of 2 parts which to a large extent dovetail together - the policy document and goodwill from Mini U.K. There really isn’t much point in understanding every detail of the policy document when the other part of the warranty is undefined. I don’t care if the insurer, Mini U.K. or Father Christmas pick up the bill, as long as it isn’t me!
It's also worth noting that a lot of policy documentation is filled with jargon that the average joe doesn't understand and nor is expected to.

I took the same approach when I got mine as it was from a decent franchise - the warranty covered an issue when it arose because I valued it for what the brand would opt for in terms of coverage.

Armaan
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      04-18-2021, 12:16 PM   #32
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

It now appears to be somewhat more extensive than just the inlet manifold. The EGR valve is likely to have failed and possibly the EGR cooler. As anticipated, Mini have stepped in and agreed to cover the full cost, apart from the £100 excess. I should be getting the car back tomorrow.

A decent result although I would have preferred them not to mess around in the middle and have accepted liability earlier. So 8/10 for Mini.

However as suggested above, the current usage doesn't suit a diesel well, so I'm going to start thinking about a petrol replacement. It's a second car which I want to be fun to drive, but also small and inexpensive enough to be parked anywhere. No major hurry, but current thoughts are -

Mini Cooper S 5dr Hatch manual
Mini Clubman JCW
M135i
Skoda Fabia 60hp
Golf GTi / R

One of the above may not be real...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 12:41 PM   #33
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
It now appears to be somewhat more extensive than just the inlet manifold. The EGR valve is likely to have failed and possibly the EGR cooler. As anticipated, Mini have stepped in and agreed to cover the full cost, apart from the £100 excess. I should be getting the car back tomorrow.

A decent result although I would have preferred them not to mess around in the middle and have accepted liability earlier. So 8/10 for Mini.

However as suggested above, the current usage doesn't suit a diesel well, so I'm going to start thinking about a petrol replacement. It's a second car which I want to be fun to drive, but also small and inexpensive enough to be parked anywhere. No major hurry, but current thoughts are -

Mini Cooper S 5dr Hatch manual
Mini Clubman JCW
M135i
Skoda Fabia 60hp
Golf GTi / R

One of the above may not be real...
I think only one of those fits the inexpensive / can be parked anywhere criteria....

Its got to be the skoda. Or maybe a Dacia Sandero....
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      04-20-2021, 03:10 AM   #34
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e, Honda Jazz Hybrid

Do you need the five doors and the range? Try the Mini Electric, I'm a total convert.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 04:50 AM   #35
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMcL View Post
Do you need the five doors and the range? Try the Mini Electric, I'm a total convert.
I have been following your experience of it. I did have one for the day as a loan car in November:

It might be the hilly environment where I live, my heavy right foot or a combination of those things, but the range was about 80 miles in my hands. I put some details here:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27100932
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13510.50
      04-20-2021, 05:41 AM   #36
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I now have my Mini Cooper D back. The work was a fair bit more extensive than planned as the engine was pretty coked-up apparently, not just the inlet manifold. In the first mile of driving it, it was immediately apparent that the car is much more responsive. Presumably the engine has been getting gradually worse over the last few years, so that I didn't notice the change. I was just charged the £100 excess.

The fuel economy has also shot up from mid 40s to 60ish mpg on a typical drive. There must have been a hell of a lot of crap in there!

So while I can see that a petrol replacement would make sense, and presumably my car will gradually coke up again, for now I think I should keep it. It feels like a new car to me. At some point in the next couple of years I'll probably find a shiny toy that I have to buy, but for now I'm happy with this one again as my go anywhere, park anywhere car.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2021, 05:55 AM   #37
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e, Honda Jazz Hybrid

Quote:
]

It might be the hilly environment where I live, my heavy right foot or a combination of those things, but the range was about 80 miles in my hands. I put some details here:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27100932

Given my experience of the car, I reckon your mileage guestimate is incorrect. Mine has been terrible too but I consistently achieve more than the predicted mileage. Resetting the "guessometer" (GOM) as it is known by those in the know, makes the mileage more believable. Mine jumped from a predicted 85 miles to 124 miles when I reset it last week. (Press and hold the trip, to enter a hidden service menu.) I live in a very hilly area too and drive far too quickly!

I stopped driving diesels a while back for good reason!

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 08:20 AM   #38
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMcL View Post
Given my experience of the car, I reckon your mileage guestimate is incorrect. Mine has been terrible too but I consistently achieve more than the predicted mileage. Resetting the "guessometer" (GOM) as it is known by those in the know, makes the mileage more believable. Mine jumped from a predicted 85 miles to 124 miles when I reset it last week. (Press and hold the trip, to enter a hidden service menu.) I live in a very hilly area too and drive far too quickly!

I stopped driving diesels a while back for good reason!
Interesting that the range may be pessimistic on the Mini Electric. I think the one I tried was estimating around a 100 mile range, but I found that it went down more quickly than miles driven.

When I bought the Cooper D as a 1 year old AUC just under 4.5 years ago, it fitted the requirements well at the time. I wouldn't buy a small diesel car today. But given my current situation I think it makes sense to keep running it for a while. It's a fun car to drive, handles really well and has about £6k of options, and yet it's only worth about £7k. It costs nothing to tax (forever) or service (for the first 10 years) and very little for fuel.

I expect its replacement will be petrol - probably a hot hatch along the lines of an M135i, Cooper S Hatch, Clubman JCW, Golf GTi...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 09:13 AM   #39
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Just make sure you kick it's head in - everywhere. That should help
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      04-20-2021, 11:22 AM   #40
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Quote:
I now have my Mini Cooper D back. The work was a fair bit more extensive than planned as the engine was pretty coked-up apparently, not just the inlet manifold. In the first mile of driving it, it was immediately apparent that the car is much more responsive. Presumably the engine has been getting gradually worse over the last few years, so that I didn't notice the change. I was just charged the £100 excess.

The fuel economy has also shot up from mid 40s to 60ish mpg on a typical drive. There must have been a hell of a lot of crap in there!

So while I can see that a petrol replacement would make sense, and presumably my car will gradually coke up again, for now I think I should keep it. It feels like a new car to me. At some point in the next couple of years I'll probably find a shiny toy that I have to buy, but for now I'm happy with this one again as my go anywhere, park anywhere car.
What fuel are you running in it? I find our local Texaco the fuel is awful, where as BP is much better. I get around 50 miles to a tank more and don't get any smoke kicking out with the BP.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 12:02 PM   #41
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
What fuel are you running in it? I find our local Texaco the fuel is awful, where as BP is much better. I get around 50 miles to a tank more and don't get any smoke kicking out with the BP.
That's interesting. I do use about 80% Texaco and 20% random for both the Cooper D and the 840i. I haven't noticed any smoke with either the petrol or the diesel.

Are ordinary (non-super) fuels really that different? I assumed it was just branding.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 01:56 PM   #42
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Quote:
That's interesting. I do use about 80% Texaco and 20% random for both the Cooper D and the 840i. I haven't noticed any smoke with either the petrol or the diesel.

Are ordinary (non-super) fuels really that different? I assumed it was just branding.
From experience, I don't think there's much in all the supermarket ones they're all the same. Texaco for me is the problem one, the diesel is c***. We have an account at our local garage and when I fill my van up with it, it always kicks out black smoke on start up and generally stinks like a 1990s diesel. It's not coked up either as it does get a bit of stick, so it's definitely the diesel causing the issue.

When I use normal BP Diesel is a completely different story. Minimal smells and no smoke on a start. Like I say, I generally get around 40/50 miles more to a tank too.

So much so I've stopped filling our Cooper S up there and use BP Ultimate Unleaded now in the car.
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      04-20-2021, 03:19 PM   #43
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
From experience, I don't think there's much in all the supermarket ones they're all the same. Texaco for me is the problem one, the diesel is c***. We have an account at our local garage and when I fill my van up with it, it always kicks out black smoke on start up and generally stinks like a 1990s diesel. It's not coked up either as it does get a bit of stick, so it's definitely the diesel causing the issue.

When I use normal BP Diesel is a completely different story. Minimal smells and no smoke on a start. Like I say, I generally get around 40/50 miles more to a tank too.

So much so I've stopped filling our Cooper S up there and use BP Ultimate Unleaded now in the car.
I do have an alternative BP place that’s not much further away. I’ll give it a try for a few fills and see if I notice any difference. Cheers
Appreciate 0