F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Adding Active Cruise Control???
Extreme Powerhouse

10-18-2018, 04:42 AM   #45
hkgans
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 118i, G20 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoodog View Post
not that simple. mk60 big drum one is used on pre lci till 07/2013 incl. After that date bmw switched to mk100 version till the end of pre lci f30 production and for all lci f30 production. SO mark date is 07/2013 not LCI or Pre-LCI
Yeah you're right yoodog, I overlooked.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 08:13 PM   #46
hkgans
Rep

Finally I have completed 90% of this ACC retrofit.

2012-3 F20, replaced and installed:
- ACC DSC MK100
- ICM High V5.6
- Front radar sensor
- 4 hard brake lines in the front (I didn't change the rear brake lines because the mechanic won't do; they used some braided adapting hoses)

Still need:
- 2 rear ABS speed sensors (I had retrofitted PMA so the front ABS speed sensors are ready for ACC. But I missed the two in the rear. Luckily I could code away the faults to try to see if it works and it did.)
- steering wheel buttons for ACC
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2019, 08:38 PM   #47
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6sp

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgans View Post
Finally I have completed 90% of this ACC retrofit.

2012-3 F20, replaced and installed:
- ACC DSC MK100
- ICM High V5.6
- Front radar sensor
- 4 hard brake lines in the front (I didn't change the rear brake lines because the mechanic won't do; they used some braided adapting hoses)

Still need:
- 2 rear ABS speed sensors (I had retrofitted PMA so the front ABS speed sensors are ready for ACC. But I missed the two in the rear. Luckily I could code away the faults to try to see if it works and it did.)
- steering wheel buttons for ACC
This is awesome it's ironic because I was searching up the parts for this earlier but was scared away from having to change the brake lines. You seem to be going right through it though, how hard was it to change brake lines and could it be DIY in a garage without a lift at home LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 08:51 PM   #48
hkgans
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightf30 View Post
This is awesome it's ironic because I was searching up the parts for this earlier but was scared away from having to change the brake lines. You seem to be going right through it though, how hard was it to change brake lines and could it be DIY in a garage without a lift at home LOL
I don't have a garage at home so I can't DIY that part myself. Sure it was hard to change brake lines especially the rear 2, you will need to drop the fuel tank and possibly the rear axle and my mechanic refused to do that part. I guess you won't need to use a lift to change those front lines.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2019, 08:55 PM   #49
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I don't have a garage at home so I can't DIY that part myself. Sure it was hard to change brake lines especially the rear 2, you will need to drop the fuel tank and possibly the rear axle and my mechanic refused to do that part. I guess you won't need to use a lift to change those front lines.
Yea me either I know there's this one place out in SoCal that rents out garage space with a lift AC and a giant tool box but unfortunately I'm not anywhere near there lmao, I can see that being necessary for the rears, was it expensive for the mechanic? If I ever plan to do this it's because I've run out of other retrofits I'm even stuck on my TCB connected drive retrofit right now lmao can't wait to see your ACC finished though
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 09:31 PM   #50
hkgans
Rep

Quote:
Yea me either I know there's this one place out in SoCal that rents out garage space with a lift AC and a giant tool box but unfortunately I'm not anywhere near there lmao, I can see that being necessary for the rears, was it expensive for the mechanic? If I ever plan to do this it's because I've run out of other retrofits I'm even stuck on my TCB connected drive retrofit right now lmao can't wait to see your ACC finished though
My mechanic charged HK$5k (~USD630) for changing 4 lines (labor) + 2 extra braided hoses to connect the rear 2, including brake bleeding and DOT 4 oil.

Mine is working right now even without changing the rear ABS speed sensors.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 09:38 PM   #51
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
My mechanic charged HK$5k (~USD630) for changing 4 lines (labor) + 2 extra braided hoses to connect the rear 2, including brake bleeding and DOT 4 oil.

Mine is working right now even without changing the rear ABS speed sensors.
Oh dang so it's already working does it need FSC activation? And that's not bad so if you really wanted it to spec like all likes changed and everything probably gonna hover around 1k for the retrofit?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 09:58 PM   #52
hkgans
Rep

Quote:
Oh dang so it's already working does it need FSC activation? And that's not bad so if you really wanted it to spec like all likes changed and everything probably gonna hover around 1k for the retrofit?
FSC will be required if you opt for FCW (part of 5AD/5AS). I had already retrofitted 5AS (Kafas2 etc + FSCs)

Right now my ACC retrofit costed me:

DSC MK100: 3.5k
ICM High: 1.8k
ACC Sensor: 1.8k
Brake lines: 2.5k
Bracket and wiring harness: 0.5k
Labor: 5k
ABS sensors: 0.6k

A total of HK$16k ~ USD 2k. Not a cheap retrofit.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2019, 08:29 AM   #53
clonefall
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xDrive M Sport Wagon

****Nevermind... I figured it out.*******

Hi, brand new to the forums, as well as BMW ownership. Sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

I recently purchased a 2015 F31 M Sport. VIN decode says it is equipped with S5DFA ACC stop go function... but it doesn't look like I actually have cruise control as an option.

What am I missing here...? I've seen many threads about retrofit, what is needed/or not... To me it seems that I have part of it installed, just not the actual cruise control function? How does a BMW not come standard with cruise control? What would be needed to add it, given it already has the ACC StopGo?

Thanks for any help/clarification

Last edited by clonefall; 04-11-2019 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: All sorted
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 05:58 PM   #54
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonefall View Post

Hi, brand new to the forums, as well as BMW ownership. Sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

I recently purchased a 2015 F31 M Sport. VIN decode says it is equipped with S5DFA ACC stop go function... but it doesn't look like I actually have cruise control as an option.

What am I missing here...? I've seen many threads about retrofit, what is needed/or not... To me it seems that I have part of it installed, just not the actual cruise control function? How does a BMW not come standard with cruise control? What would be needed to add it, given it already has the ACC StopGo?

Would it be possible for you to take a picture of where/how the radar and bracket is mounted to the front bumper? Is it in front of or behind the grill?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 08:59 PM   #55
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonefall View Post

Would it be possible for you to take a picture of where/how the radar and bracket is mounted to the front bumper? Is it in front of or behind the grill?
It's in front.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 06:36 AM   #56
linzo
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 320i N20

I would like to add Acc system to my F30 LCI. Can I use ICM version for "Acc and adaptive suspension" if my car does not have adaptive suspension?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 02:38 PM   #57
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by linzo View Post
I would like to add Acc system to my F30 LCI. Can I use ICM version for "Acc and adaptive suspension" if my car does not have adaptive suspension?
I imagine that ICM would be fine, although they're harder to find than ones without adaptive suspension. When I did this retrofit I found many ICM without adaptive.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 04:57 PM   #58
Sanelko
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jet Black 328i

Does anyone know if the pre-LCI ACC DSC (MK60) is compatible with an LCI ACC/HIGH ICM?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 05:12 AM   #59
Amazdeal
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanelko View Post
Does anyone know if the pre-LCI ACC DSC (MK60) is compatible with an LCI ACC/HIGH ICM?
Yes and Yes. Accoridng to one russian guy MK60 uses other brake pipes than MK100 but you can change that.

ICM needs to be 5.3/5.6
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 05:14 AM   #60
Amazdeal
Rep

Quote:
FSC will be required if you opt for FCW (part of 5AD/5AS). I had already retrofitted 5AS (Kafas2 etc + FSCs)

Right now my ACC retrofit costed me:

DSC MK100: 3.5k
ICM High: 1.8k
ACC Sensor: 1.8k
Brake lines: 2.5k
Bracket and wiring harness: 0.5k
Labor: 5k
ABS sensors: 0.6k

A total of HK$16k ~ USD 2k. Not a cheap retrofit.

Why did you change brake lines? I underestand that MK60 has other type of hoses but you could just change the connection with DSC.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 03:16 PM   #61
Jimmert
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i F36

Does anyone know what the (technical) difference is between the ‘standard’ ABS sensors and the ‘ACC’ ABS sensors. According to RealOEM, all four sensors for ACC cars have a different number. But I’ve read that some people only replaced the front sensors, and it turns out you can even make it work w/o changing any sensor (by not VO-coding the DSC-unit, but only FDL). They are not cheap, but you don’t want mess around with the braking system.

Same question for the hard brake lines, necessity to change those seems even more vague.. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 07:26 PM   #62
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmert View Post
Does anyone know what the (technical) difference is between the ‘standard’ ABS sensors and the ‘ACC’ ABS sensors. According to RealOEM, all four sensors for ACC cars have a different number. But I’ve read that some people only replaced the front sensors, and it turns out you can even make it work w/o changing any sensor (by not VO-coding the DSC-unit, but only FDL). They are not cheap, but you don’t want mess around with the braking system.

Same question for the hard brake lines, necessity to change those seems even more vague.. Any thoughts?
My understanding is that the different wheel speed sensors have a higher fidelity, and I'm not sure if you can do the proper coding without them. All together the sensors were not that expensive compared to everything else
(namely the ICM and radar), and considering the car can and will brake hard to avoid a crash if necessary personally I wouldn't play around with not VO coding the DSC. Not to mention changing the sensors was the easiest part of the whole job lol. I did not change the hard brake lines when I did my retrofit, they fit into the new DSC without issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 02:31 AM   #63
Jimmert
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Thanks for your response, no I get the point, brakes important and stuff. I’m in the process of doing my retrofit. Ironically, the ABS sensors áre expensive. If I would buy them from the dealer, all 4 combined the abs sensors would be the most expensive part of my retrofit. Now I chose to order them aftermarket from ATE, which is cheaper, but still the second most expensive part. Also funny, the ACC abs sensor was slightly cheaper than the standard one. Makes you wonder, whát am I buying, why were there two versions in the first place...

If you VO code the DSC, immediately you receive tons of warnings, even w/o driving, the car directly knows that you have the wrong sensors installed. So they are different, that’s for sure. If you revert that VO-coding, but do FDL-code C_Funktion_AccStopAndGo_aktiv_I from nicht-aktiv to aktiv, all warnings will go away, but I haven’t tested this out on the road yet. I might do before I swap the ABS sensors for good.

I think I leave the brake lines as well, they are a PIA to swap and it is just copper. My only guess would be that the (inner) diameter could be different maybe? Less pressure drop over the lines..?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 08:32 AM   #64
Jimmert
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Since when does Aliexpress sell OEM stuff? No offence, but I rather drive around knowingly with the wrong sensor, than driving unknowing with sensors that are not to be trusted. But that’s for everybody different of course. What I can recommend from Aliexpress is the Golf Mk7 ACC wiring harness which is exactly what you need for the F30 ACC. Same connectors etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 09:14 AM   #65
Amazdeal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmert View Post
Since when does Aliexpress sell OEM stuff? No offence, but I rather drive around knowingly with the wrong sensor, than driving unknowing with sensors that are not to be trusted. But that’s for everybody different of course. What I can recommend from Aliexpress is the Golf Mk7 ACC wiring harness which is exactly what you need for the F30 ACC. Same connectors etc.
You right, they are not OEM's but they are offered in europe by local parts shop for price 4-5x higher. I checked the reviews and they were all good.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 04:33 PM   #66
2011e91
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e91 328, e90 m3

I recently bought a used 2018 328d F31 M Sport; has most options except ACC....of course, right?

I would like to tackle this project and start gathering parts; etc. I'm newer to the model so having a tough time dissecting things. Does anyone know of a list of what I would need? I have the Drivers Assistance Package (ZDA) (Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning, Pedestrian Warning and City Collision Mitigation.) Park Distance Control (508) and Active Blind Spot Detection (5AG).

Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0