F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Test drive a Tesla….
Extreme Powerhouse

11-20-2021, 12:12 PM   #221
Nibbles
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Not quite a Tesla but had a test drive in the Fiat 500E today as Mrs Nibbles is considering one. I was reasonably impressed, I'm not sure it could ever be classed as value for money but a little bit more space and reasonably nippy with a decent range.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2022, 03:37 PM   #222
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Definitely saw my white one there a few minutes in.

02-07-2022, 04:22 PM   #223
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Definitely saw my white one there a few minutes in.

Think I saw my black one too

Mines due 1st march
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      02-07-2022, 06:13 PM   #224
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

Mate of mine has had an F10 535d for the last 5 years and now fancies a change. Almost pulled the trigger on a white F10 M5 at the weekend to scratch that itch but the potential running costs ended up putting him off.

He went and drove the TM3 today. Both LR and Performance versions. The Performance model blew him away! And most of his neck muscles too I think! Couldn't justify the extra cost though so looks like he's going to pull the trigger on a LR later this week.

Another BMW driver heading into a Tesla…
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 02:33 AM   #225
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobyd View Post
Mate of mine has had an F10 535d for the last 5 years and now fancies a change. Almost pulled the trigger on a white F10 M5 at the weekend to scratch that itch but the potential running costs ended up putting him off.

He went and drove the TM3 today. Both LR and Performance versions. The Performance model blew him away! And most of his neck muscles too I think! Couldn't justify the extra cost though so looks like he's going to pull the trigger on a LR later this week.

Another BMW driver heading into a Tesla…
He should get the LR and but acceleration boost. Gets to 95% of the P with 0-60 figures 3-7s but many record below that. Cripes!
      02-08-2022, 03:52 PM   #226
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

Quote:
He should get the LR and but acceleration boost. Gets to 95% of the P with 0-60 figures 3-7s but many record below that. Cripes!
Well he's pulled the trigger today and think that's exactly the route he's going!

His wife said the Performance model was too much and he only needed the entry level. So they eventually compromised on the LR and he'll sneak the acceleration boost upgrade in the back door without her knowledge once it gets here!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      02-08-2022, 04:19 PM   #227
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
What is the acceleration boost? Do you need to spec it when you buy it or is it some software config that can be changed anytime?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 04:33 PM   #228
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
What is the acceleration boost? Do you need to spec it when you buy it or is it some software config that can be changed anytime?
Software update but not sure on costs though.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 05:59 PM   #229
Cilonen
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla M3, 2016 F11 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchoa View Post
Software update but not sure on costs though.
£1500.

Compares well to a £10k price difference between LR & Performance, given the boost will put 0-60 within half a sec of the Performance.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 02:06 AM   #230
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
Yes as others say SF option on the App and you can return it after 48hrs if you 'don't like'.
      02-09-2022, 10:00 AM   #231
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Reading this thread makes me wonder why you would buy anything other than a Tesla if you were in the market for a decent EV daily?
      02-09-2022, 11:37 AM   #232
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Reading this thread makes me wonder why you would buy anything other than a Tesla if you were in the market for a decent EV daily?
Whilst absolutely getting the appeal of Teslas, I find other EVs far more appealing.

The Model Y ticks every box for me, apart from emotional appeal (how it looks) and a few feature shortcomings. But I find myself wanting others more.

Not knocking Teslas, I can see why people choose them.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2022, 11:44 AM   #233
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Whilst absolutely getting the appeal of Teslas, I find other EVs far more appealing.

The Model Y ticks every box for me, apart from emotional appeal (how it looks) and a few feature shortcomings. But I find myself wanting others more.

I was doing fine on the "want an EV front" until I realised that:

- high speed motorway use is where they are at their worst for range - and I reckon of the 8300 miles in the RS4, over 6000 have been on motorways.....

- some of the Tesla guys (with Model 3) are saying they work on 2 miles per 1% of battery on average, so realistically a 180 miles range - which would definitely not be so handy with my 300 miles in a weekend / 200 miles plus to watch a game of football which is how I generally use my car...

But in the world of EVs I'd like Tesla battery and supercharger in a more conventional manufacturers skin and interior..... I'm not sure I am really ready for some of the tech in Tesla's, for gods sake I still miss the CD player in my car!
Appreciate 2
JustChris17487.50
      02-09-2022, 11:50 AM   #234
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:

What I know about EV's, MB, could be written on a very small postage stamp, so yes, sweet FA.
Apart from the odd Jag, all the newer EV purchases around my neighbourhood are Tesla model 3's. One of my neighbours, who is a serial car changer, started with a Kia e-Niro and realising that he quite liked the idea, swapped it for Tesla (a fast one, dont ask me which one) which he now swears by. I'd happily own a Model 3 as far as looks are concerned, and yes, the Model Y is no oil painting, as you say.
Which EV makes/models do you prefer then?
      02-09-2022, 11:55 AM   #235
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
The SC network though.

If largely staying local then yes totally all bets are off and it's an open market.

15,000+ mpa type usage in the general charging network to me would be terrifying!
      02-09-2022, 12:15 PM   #236
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

What I know about EV's, MB, could be written on a very small postage stamp, so yes, sweet FA.
Apart from the odd Jag, all the newer EV purchases around my neighbourhood are Tesla model 3's. One of my neighbours, who is a serial car changer, started with a Kia e-Niro and realising that he quite liked the idea, swapped it for Tesla (a fast one, dont ask me which one) which he now swears by. I'd happily own a Model 3 as far as looks are concerned, and yes, the Model Y is no oil painting, as you say.
Which EV makes/models do you prefer then?
I should say, it's not that I dislike the looks of the Teslas - I will jump to their defence when they are called ugly. Its more a combo of the interior and exterior that there is nothing grabbing me on an emotional level.

Money no object, i would love an i4. Or perhaps an iX. But the EV6, ioniq5 and BZ4X all appeal at lesser price points.

I do like the Y, it's the only proper boot out there. But it would be virtually no cheaper than my Disco, and I can't give up its many charms without banking a good saving.

So the other EVs appeal more (to me) and cost less.

That's todays opinion anyway 😂

Appreciate 1
      02-09-2022, 12:41 PM   #237
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
The SC network though.

If largely staying local then yes totally all bets are off and it's an open market.

15,000+ mpa type usage in the general charging network to me would be terrifying!
Definite advantages in the SC network.

For me specifically, though:

Offices are 37 and 40 miles away, so no issue even if I went back daily.

Heathrow is 99 miles away, so now a return trip is fine for most EVs. I don't fly for work anymore, so don't need to worry overly about edge case trips.

Since I bought the 440i in 2016, I've driven more than 200 miles in a day once.

Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      02-09-2022, 02:43 PM   #238
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
The SC network though.

Definite advantages in the SC network.

For me specifically, though:

Offices are 37 and 40 miles away, so no issue even if I went back daily.

Heathrow is 99 miles away, so now a return trip is fine for most EVs. I don't fly for work anymore, so don't need to worry overly about edge case trips.

Since I bought the 440i in 2016, I've driven more than 200 miles in a day once.
Ah that would explain it!
      02-10-2022, 12:03 AM   #239
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Certainly a few years ago when I bought our Tesla there simply wasn't another EV on the market that you could buy and than use just like any other car. Last weekend we spent 3hr+ in the car due to traffic, random trips to the swimming pool. Pretty much no other EV back in 2016 could manage a normal weekend day without some serious range anxiety.

These days there is far more choice, but it does show how far ahead of the game Tesla was. Range is far less of a USP these days, and even Tesla supercharging isn't no where near as much of a game changer. However Tesla is still years ahead interms of connectivity and software development.

The Tesla app now shows you stuff like charging history and if you have a PowerWall gives you all kinds of options to align charging to the cheapest time you can buy electricity.

The fact the software in the car can tell me exactly where to charge, how long for, and show me real time availability of chargers also makes holiday road trip planning as easy as any combustion car.

The options for other EVs are all there these days, but as an overall package, right now if I had £50-100k spare to drop on another EV it would 100% be another Tesla to go along side our X.

The £50-100k is my biggest criticism of Tesla, when the original S was launched all the talk was about enabling 'moving the world to EVs'. The S was never going to be the car to do that, with an aluminium chassis, a push on 0-60 performance all helping to 'justify' the price of entry. The narrative was once Tesla becomes an essential company, and batteries becomes cheaper the cars will become cheaper and everyone will get access to decent EVs.

Fast forward to now, and a steel construction 3 with a SMALLER battery than a 2014 S now costs pretty much the same. One of my friends just ordered a Y, £55k, that's within throwing distance of the crazy £70k we paid for our X, bare in mind all the additional stuff the X has. As Tesla has matured over the years they are becoming more and more like any other car company. Profit is now their main goal, and product pricing reflects that. Is that a good thing? I suppose that depends on how you view the world.

However their continuous push with technology remains, and the fight for autonomy between Tesla, Waymo, and Intel I still think will define the automotive industry going into this decade. On that front, no other car manufacturer is on the same planet let alone ballpark. There are plenty of good EVs to choose from these days, but there still is only one technology company making EVs.
Appreciate 3
Grant_72020.50
JustChris17487.50
      02-10-2022, 03:17 AM   #240
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Bit of a test coming up for my Model 3 SR+ soon; off from Warwickshire into the Yorkshire Dales, then routing back via Doncaster to see a relative. Will be a mix of Supercharging and public charging.

Will report back on ease/issues and also a summary of costs.
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      02-10-2022, 03:37 AM   #241
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
There are plenty of good EVs to choose from these days, but there still is only one technology company making EVs.
And if you want your car to be an automotive equivalent of an iPhone - and I accept these days many people probably do - that's fine. Not everyone does though.....
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 05:26 AM   #242
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
And if you want your car to be an automotive equivalent of an iPhone - and I accept these days many people probably do - that's fine. Not everyone does though.....
Absolutely that's why choice is a good thing.

However we are living through fourth Industrial Revolution, the way I/We all use information in 2022 compared to 2002 is unrecognizable. Mail order catalogues, a road atlas to plan things, even accessing bank/government services.

Tesla's approach to technology, especially digital information is very similar to how Amazon, Google, Apple, IBM all work. The future(and present) is going to be governed by those who understand how best to leverage the flexibility of digital data.

Tesla's valuation on the stock market really isn't based production numbers or sale figures the likes of BMW/VAG/Toyota are judged on. They are based on the belief that Tesla has the vision/belief to capitalize on future opportunities in digital technology no other car company can dream off.

I took our 2015 Lexus for its annual MOT yesterday, its literally like stepping back in time about 20 years. The fact our Lexus and Tesla came off the production line barely 18 months apart says it all really. Will consumers remain 'happy' the car they buy today will be the same in 2-3-4 years time? Whats not surprising though is Tesla has now updated the backend software on all their cars so if you pull in to a Tesla service center in principle you don't even need to 'check in' to drop the keys off. The software integration has got to a point where Tesla can access the cars without any input from the owner, and on pick up, again its a txt message with a code to unlock the car and off you go, invoice is on the phone, no need to wait in reception.

The iPhone comparison is a good one, would you buy a phone today if you knew you could never add apps/customize/gain function over time, and literally all will ever do is have the same functionality as when you bought it forever??? This true for pretty much every car been produced today, expect for what Tesla is producing.

As I've said Tesla isn't a car manufacture, they are a technology company that happens to make cars as their product. It doesn't matter if anyone thinks thats a good or not, but its not chance the largest companies on this planet are technology firms.

Last edited by gangzoom; 02-10-2022 at 05:37 AM..
Appreciate 1