F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > New Front Tension Arm and LCA Bushing Solution!
GetBMWParts

09-27-2019, 10:14 AM   #1
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335i xDrive

Garage List
New Front Tension Arm and LCA Bushing Solution!

So been talking with the guys at VAC about this issue. They sent a couple teaser pictures. I'm going there today to get a closer look and possibly test install.
FYI, my car is xDrive.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
sdbwisc66.00
      09-27-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
MMOTION
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like you'll never drive again

That looks heavyduty! Whats the backstory on this? Stiffening up the front end of your XI?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 10:51 AM   #3
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMOTION View Post
That looks heavyduty! Whats the backstory on this? Stiffening up the front end of your XI?
I'll get more I tot he backstory when I I have a moment. But essentially yes, I track my car.
Plan is both rwd and xDrive versions.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 11:44 AM   #4
HybridAWD
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xDrive

Take my money. Although, I would like to see how they are for the typical daily drive Xdrive but either way, I need to replace mine so they need to hurry up so I have more options
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 12:15 PM   #5
andino
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 328i xdrive

That LCA one looks nice!
      09-27-2019, 03:12 PM   #6
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well I'm sure it will firm things up a bit. I had the Powerflex Black bushings before. They felt much better than stock, but just haven't held up for me.
These are sealed, factory type ball joints being used.
I'm at the VAC shop now. They look mint!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 05:01 PM   #7
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Cool! It'll be good to have a wishbone/LCA monoball option. How come they made the bolt hole centered for the tension strut (caster will increase from stock)?

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 06:46 PM   #8
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Cool! It'll be good to have a wishbone/LCA monoball option. How come they made the bolt hole centered for the tension strut (caster will increase from stock)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Yah. There were no options for the LCA before. Got them installed and watched a little machine of the spacers. Haven't driven much. I'll post more pictures and review when I get a moment and some time with them. I'll also be gong to the track later this month so I'll be able to review that too.
Regarding centered, I haven't see the he factory one in a while so not sure about how I'd set they may be. For me it doesn't matter since I have the ground control plates and they have faster adjustment. But Tony told me the tension/thrust arm could be machined with some offset and still maintain the factory style, sealed mono-ball joint.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 10:53 AM   #9
andino
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_du View Post
Yah. There were no options for the LCA before. Got them installed and watched a little machine of the spacers. Haven't driven much. I'll post more pictures and review when I get a moment and some time with them. I'll also be gong to the track later this month so I'll be able to review that too.
Regarding centered, I haven't see the he factory one in a while so not sure about how I'd set they may be. For me it doesn't matter since I have the ground control plates and they have faster adjustment. But Tony told me the tension/thrust arm could be machined with some offset and still maintain the factory style, sealed mono-ball joint.

Do they have a timeline on when they'll be available? I sent them an email this morning asking but my Superpro bushing is toast and I'd like to get something in there before I head on track end of this month.
      10-01-2019, 06:54 PM   #10
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Do they have a timeline on when they'll be available? I sent them an email this morning asking but my Superpro bushing is toast and I'd like to get something in there before I head on track end of this month.
They should be able to do something for you. From what I saw, they are just about ready to go as they already had Mini inserts premade. They are swamped there. Give their performance side a call and let me help speed things along for you.
I’ve been wanting to update this thread, but I’ve been having alignment problems with the rear of my car. I’m hoping to get those sorted out this week. Initial impressions, holy crap!! This is how this car should have come from the factory. Now it turns in like an M car. There’s much more fun and feel, turn in, and Gritt. Unfortunately I’ve only been able to do a few on ramps. But I will be going to the track by the end of the month and will be able to give a better review Whitmore Street and track time then.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 09:05 PM   #11
andino
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_du View Post
They should be able to do something for you. From what I saw, they are just about ready to go as they already had Mini inserts premade. They are swamped there. Give their performance side a call and let me help speed things along for you.
I’ve been wanting to update this thread, but I’ve been having alignment problems with the rear of my car. I’m hoping to get those sorted out this week. Initial impressions, holy crap!! This is how this car should have come from the factory. Now it turns in like an M car. There’s much more fun and feel, turn in, and Gritt. Unfortunately I’ve only been able to do a few on ramps. But I will be going to the track by the end of the month and will be able to give a better review Whitmore Street and track time then.
I shot them an email this morning just to see. Hopefully will get something worked out with them soon so I can have them ready for my day at laguna this month.

Also yeah, the monoball made a huge different in steering feel over factory. I think it's one of my favorite upgrades I've done so far.
      10-03-2019, 10:21 AM   #12
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Some more install pictures. 😎
(Sorry for anyone who checked earlier before the photos where up, I've been having trouble with the app on my phone)
Attached Images

Last edited by skier_du; 10-03-2019 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 3
eleven11370.00
haagm58809.50
      10-04-2019, 07:19 PM   #13
andino
Captain
Rep

Have a set of the LCA bushings shipping to me on Monday. Looking forward to replacing my superpro ones which are totally cooked.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 07:29 PM   #14
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Have a set of the LCA bushings shipping to me on Monday. Looking forward to replacing my superpro ones which are totally cooked.
Cool. You'll love them. Hard to describe how much more stable and more in control it makes the car feel. As much of an upgrade over stock poly bushes are, these are even more of an upgrade than that over the poly bushings.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 02:41 PM   #15
CTNYCLurk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335 FBO

how much do these run? $
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 02:44 PM   #16
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTNYCLurk View Post
how much do these run? $
I'm not exactly sure I can post that. I'm not actually with VAC but I want to be careful what I post regarding pricing anyway. However, I know they are competitive with other products on the market and VAC mentioned to me that they will be doing an introductory special with a nice discount.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 03:08 PM   #17
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

Love all this activity around monoball control arm replacements. Your set looks like art!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 03:11 PM   #18
madriz
Private
Rep
Drives: 440i f32

Does this piece get more camber?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 04:02 PM   #19
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by madriz View Post
Does this piece get more camber?
It does not. There's not enough room on the LCA to put a robust monoball and have camber adjustment. I mentioned this to VAC and Tony said they could possibly do a custom setup in the tension arm if someone wants. But he didn't think it was a good idea in the LCA. This is good for xDrive though, since camber adjustment from the LCA will pull the hubs too far out and cause axle damage. XDrive needs to have a camber plate to adjust camber safely. My theory is for rwd, the benefit is it won't push the hub further out like the M3 LCA would. Meaning there will be more space between the hub and fender for wider wheel/tire fitments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by percychow View Post
Love all this activity around monoball control arm replacements. Your set looks like art!

Thanks man! I kinda hated putting them under the car where no one will see them. Lol
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 04:43 PM   #20
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

VAC makes quality stuff. Big fan going back to my e30 M3 days. Very much looking forward to seeing more info on these and pricing.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 06:49 PM   #21
andino
Captain
Rep

Got my LCA with bushings in the mail today! Huge shoutout to VAC for sending them out to arrive in time for my alignment this weekend. Going to get them installed tomorrow morning. These things look super good and robust! Hopefully they stand up to the amount of driving I do (unlike the superpro ones). Farkie and I will be doing a video on the install and also one comparing the superpro to this one from VAC. Looking forward to seeing how the superpro bushing has held up and what shape it's in. I have a significant amount of play in my LCA on the driverside right now so I'm excited to tighten things up again.
      10-11-2019, 10:14 PM   #22
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
Got my LCA with bushings in the mail today! Huge shoutout to VAC for sending them out to arrive in time for my alignment this weekend. Going to get them installed tomorrow morning. These things look super good and robust! Hopefully they stand up to the amount of driving I do (unlike the superpro ones). Farkie and I will be doing a video on the install and also one comparing the superpro to this one from VAC. Looking forward to seeing how the superpro bushing has held up and what shape it's in. I have a significant amount of play in my LCA on the driverside right now so I'm excited to tighten things up again.
Looking forward to seeing the video and hearing your guys' thoughts. I am eager to get a set of these.
Appreciate 0