F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > My First BMW - and WOW is an understatement
Studio RSR

10-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
Runnin and Gunnin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i X Drive M-Sport

My First BMW - and WOW is an understatement

Name:  bmw-3-series-m-sport-2013-image2.jpg
Views: 3002
Size:  148.0 KB

Bought the car about a week and a half ago. OMG! My most recent purchases in the vehicle category stem from about 4 years ago to today. 2007 Volkswagen GTI, 2008 Nissan Xterra (please no chuckling - no idea why I thought I would like this vehicle) 2009 Infiniti FX 35 (LOVED LOVED LOVED this car) 2010 Audi TT-S (Highly modified and unbearably quick - very impractical though) 20120 Audi A5 ( Manual transmission, this car was amazing...had it chipped through Audi, car was classy and quick, my favorite car to date) Now I have the above 2013 BMW 328I X drive M sport...and let me say, HOLY HELL!! Im still very much in the break in period so keeping it low key, gentleman and ladies...I feel as if this vehicle may be my favorite yet This car is undeniably quick, excellent performance in all aspects, an interior fit for the royal family and the EBII I thought I was going to hate, turned out to be a color I don't think I could live without.

I have the Cold Weather Package, Lighting package, Premium, and Technology. It's auto trans (it was about time-- I.E. the wife wants to be able to drive it....) This car...is a true car!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
jpE92M3
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Beautiful car man; love the colour. You're gonna love the x-drive in winter.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
BravoX
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Sport Line

Congrats on the purchase.

I'm going on two months myself and am also loving the F30.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Congratulations, looks fantastic!!! Be interested how it compares to your A5...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
Runnin and Gunnin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Xdrive View Post
Beautiful car man; love the colour. You're gonna love the x-drive in winter.
Oh I'm sure, we had our first storm of the season, dropped maybe 3 inches, did just fine at 1 in the morning with the roads a little slushy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
Congratulations, looks fantastic!!! Be interested how it compares to your A5...
I agree! Like I said, the A5 was a genuinely classic vehicle. Everything about it put off the Aura of perfection (I know I know, BMW forum haha). The big differences I have seen thus far are:
-A5 is significantly wider (body) and larger on the interior for Driver/Passenger. Although, I sat passenger in the BMW last night and I didnt notice much of a difference, but I definitely noticed a difference in the drivers seat.
-I will say, even though the A5 was chipped, the pick up and go from 65 + is REMARKABLE in the BMW. Impressive, an understatement again.
-The overall feeling of the BMW is better than the A5. Steering primarily, the A5 had a more rough around the edges feel (Not quite the feeling of the BMW X5 but in between the 328 and the X5).
-I wish the BMW had LED tail lights, the Audi had them and they are distinct - call me an LED snob if you will, but I like em...I will say though, the BMW tail looks great.
-The 328 front view is the best I've seen, hands down
-Last but not least...the driveability.... I get in the BMW ...and I don't want to leave. Al the functions, all the buttons..I wouldn't have it any other way. I like my buttons to have buttons, I want buttons that don't do anything, buttons that pretend to do something...I like complicated interiors and features I couldn't even fathom how to use. The iDrive system hands down DESTROYS Audi's Infotainment system. Now I did not have Nav in the Audi, but between the large scale screens, and the dash (Speed / Tach section) was probably the biggest selling point for me on the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Congratulations!
How does it compare with the TT-S (also being that it was highly modified)? It must be quite a difference in performance?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

You know you can chip your car just like you did with the Audis lol.

I assume you had APR tunes?

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
Runnin and Gunnin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodite10 View Post
Congratulations!
How does it compare with the TT-S (also being that it was highly modified)? It must be quite a difference in performance?
The TT-S had an MTM chip and Milltek aftermarket exhaust. I drove a 335 not long after getting rid of the TT-S and honestly felt the two were rather close in quickness, although the TT-S was actually hands down quicker with the mods I had attached. The TT-S also, ironically enough was the best car ive driven in the snow...ever..and I lived in the Mountains for several years (8400 Elevation). Point being, the all wheel drive system on a set of tires that cost two car payments each mended well will the snow. The TT-S though was a very very fun car, but with the modifications I feared the payment if in some disgusting series of events, I either popped one of the tires or had a warranty issue that wouldn't be covered. The car was a Prestige package as well, which as you may know is the highest Audi package, but being a 2010, honestly doesnt compare AT ALL to the BMW. In so many words, I love my Audis, and the TT-S was damn fast, but by far the most impractical car I've owned...but fun usually isn't practical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
You know you can chip your car just like you did with the Audis lol.

I assume you had APR tunes?
Haha yes I'm aware I can chip the Beemer as well, except on the A5 the chip was through Audi (Stasis) and was fully covered under Audi warranty, which is quite nice for comfort of mind if nothing else. TT-S was MTM chip
TT-S = http://www.mtm-online.de/en/Audi/TTS...FZID=TTS8J200Q
A5=http://www.stasisengineering.com/signature/stasis-signature-series-a5-20-2010 ...near the bottom for performance numbers.
GTI= was revo chip

Do you know how Dinan works with BMW?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin and Gunnin View Post

Haha yes I'm aware I can chip the Beemer as well, except on the A5 the chip was through Audi (Stasis) and was fully covered under Audi warranty, which is quite nice for comfort of mind if nothing else. TT-S was MTM chip
TT-S = http://www.mtm-online.de/en/Audi/TTS...FZID=TTS8J200Q
A5=http://www.stasisengineering.com/signature/stasis-signature-series-a5-20-2010 ...near the bottom for performance numbers.
GTI= was revo chip

Do you know how Dinan works with BMW?
Dinan mods are warrantied through BMW.

BMW is going to offer a muffler and MAYBE a power pack(tune) for a bit more power if you are concerned with your warranty.

I had an APR stage 2 setup on my TSI CC.

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
Runnin and Gunnin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
Dinan mods are warrantied through BMW.

BMW is going to offer a muffler and MAYBE a power pack(tune) for a bit more power if you are concerned with your warranty.

I had an APR stage 2 setup on my TSI CC.
I checked out Dinans website, may be blind but I couldn't find anything for the F30??
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

did you feel that the A5 understeered? i'm replacing my A4 with a 328i and just felt like the audi was very nose heavy in corners.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #12
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I checked out Dinans website, may be blind but I couldn't find anything for the F30??
Give it time.

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #13
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Happy for you. Enjoy your new ride. Welcome to BMW. No looking back!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #14
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Quote:
The TT-S had an MTM chip and Milltek aftermarket exhaust. I drove a 335 not long after getting rid of the TT-S and honestly felt the two were rather close in quickness, although the TT-S was actually hands down quicker with the mods I had attached. The TT-S also, ironically enough was the best car ive driven in the snow...ever..and I lived in the Mountains for several years (8400 Elevation). Point being, the all wheel drive system on a set of tires that cost two car payments each mended well will the snow. The TT-S though was a very very fun car, but with the modifications I feared the payment if in some disgusting series of events, I either popped one of the tires or had a warranty issue that wouldn't be covered. The car was a Prestige package as well, which as you may know is the highest Audi package, but being a 2010, honestly doesnt compare AT ALL to the BMW. In so many words, I love my Audis, and the TT-S was damn fast, but by far the most impractical car I've owned...but fun usually isn't practical
Sounds like the TT-S was a rocket with those modifications!
It looks like you now have a worthy car for both performance and practicality!

Enjoy your new toy!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #15
Runnin and Gunnin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
did you feel that the A5 understeered? i'm replacing my A4 with a 328i and just felt like the audi was very nose heavy in corners.
Ya know, now that I think about it compared to the 328...yea it did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Happy for you. Enjoy your new ride. Welcome to BMW. No looking back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodite10 View Post
Sounds like the TT-S was a rocket with those modifications!
It looks like you now have a worthy car for both performance and practicality!

Enjoy your new toy!
You hit the head of the nail with a hammer!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #16
Roki_014
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60

I test drove the 2012 TTS before buying the my 335 and didn't like the tts at all , main thing was acceleration i would floor it and it would take couple of seconds before I would feel anything and even then it didn't feel strong at all, i was surprised when the sales guy told me that thwy go 4.8 from 0-60 it just felt slow, my friend test drove it after me and he felt the same way, another thing was the steering which really sucked no connection at all it felt like nothing as if ur turning the steering wheel which is not connected to anything
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #17
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
The A4 has most of its engine hanging out in front of the front axle while the 328i has the entire thing behind the front axle. Even the old straight-six 3 series felt quicker to turn in than an A4, but this new four cylinder makes it way, way better. My family currently has both E90 and F30 328is so I have tons of experience with both and I've driven quite a few Audis (I'm a pretty big fan of Audis too) but if nose heaviness is something that bothers you, you'll absolutely love the F30.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 02:03 AM   #18
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
The A4 has most of its engine hanging out in front of the front axle while the 328i has the entire thing behind the front axle. Even the old straight-six 3 series felt quicker to turn in than an A4, but this new four cylinder makes it way, way better. My family currently has both E90 and F30 328is so I have tons of experience with both and I've driven quite a few Audis (I'm a pretty big fan of Audis too) but if nose heaviness is something that bothers you, you'll absolutely love the F30.

well i knew what i was getting into with the a4 i guess, i mean its like 58/42 weight balance i think.

just didn't think it'd be so pronounced with the 60% rear bias on the new AWD, but i actually read they setup the suspension to make it understeer more for "classic" audi feel
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 07:06 AM   #19
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6M

You get a new car every year?

Congrats on the F30!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #20
ELTORO3092
Rep
Drives: 335i M

Nice car,
Well done sir.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #21
Runnin and Gunnin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014 View Post
I test drove the 2012 TTS before buying the my 335 and didn't like the tts at all , main thing was acceleration i would floor it and it would take couple of seconds before I would feel anything and even then it didn't feel strong at all, i was surprised when the sales guy told me that thwy go 4.8 from 0-60 it just felt slow, my friend test drove it after me and he felt the same way, another thing was the steering which really sucked no connection at all it felt like nothing as if ur turning the steering wheel which is not connected to anything
Yea for sure, you get a pretty significant turbo lag (engine lag really...) lasts, I dunno maybe 1 second..Once you get used to it you don't really pay attention to it. Oh well, all BMW owners now eh!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCali View Post
You get a new car every year?

Congrats on the F30!
Thanks man I appreciate it, and yea it seems like it huh? Pretty bad habit, leasing the BMW for 3 years so no getting rid of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELTORO3092 View Post
Nice car,
Well done sir.
Thank you, far too kind. What branch you in? I was stationed out of K-Bay Hawaii back in 2004-2008.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #22
Abspara
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Beautiful car. Congrats!
Appreciate 0