F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Bad wear on outside front right
Extreme Powerhouse

03-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #1
jcdub
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport

Bad wear on outside front right

I've got a 2017 330e M Sport with 40k Kms and I'm having trouble with the front right tyre wearing badly on the outside. I noticed it starting a few months ago and I had an alignment carried out. The alignment was off esp on the front right. But the wear had become worse since and I brought the car in to another place for the alignment. The front right was out of alignment again. This time the guy doing the adjustment noted that if he moved the right wheel manually by grabbing both sides of the tyre while under the car the alignment position moved on the alignment screen, but the left wheel stayed steady.
He concluded that the there was play on the right suspension allowing the right wheel to move around slightly.

Is it possibly the steering rack? The steering rod end bearing didn't seen to have play. I appreciate and guidance you may have. I'm thinking of bringing it into BMW as it's under warranty. But I wanted to make sure there is a problem with play on suspension or rack first.
P.S I've grabbed the wheel at the 9 and 3 position and tried to feel for play, but I didn't notice any.
      03-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdub View Post
... This time the guy doing the adjustment noted that if he moved the right wheel manually by grabbing both sides of the tyre while under the car the alignment position moved on the alignment screen, but the left wheel stayed steady.
He concluded that the there was play on the right suspension allowing the right wheel to move around slightly.
If it is not the track rod end, I'd be looking at the suspension bushing. Was a topic I saw recently, where the tension strut or wishbone bush was very 'flexible', looked far too much movement when loaded by hand. Something like that will make a lot of difference when loaded dynamically.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Steering rack or possibly wheel bearing? And make sure all of your bolts are tight.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #4
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Even tho car is low mileage, mechanic will peruse the control arms and tension struts (thrust arms)- the bushings used are rubber fluid filled type on BMW's and will over time deteriorate/crack and fluid will leak. Typically at fairly high mileage ~ 100K. Other end of the arm is metal ball joint, they do wear but that rubber bushing goes first.

This should be pretty easy for trained mechanic to diagnose. btw, only alignment adjustment in front end of a Bimmer is toe-in angle.

Sounds like suspension or steering related issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #5
jcdub
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport

Thanks for the reply. I hope I was rear ended a week ago and the parts should be in this week all going well. So hopefully the body shop will take the car in by the end of the week. I know the guy there. So I'll ask him to have a look and see if he notices anything and maybe get an alignment carried out under the repair. If nothing conclusive I'll be BMW then.

One thing I hand noticed was that when I am pulling out of my drive and turn right at low speed and with a fair bit of luck I hear a noise like the right tyre is rumbling because it's not turning enough
Appreciate 0