F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Cost to paint?
Extreme Powerhouse

01-18-2019, 09:23 PM   #1
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Cost to paint?

If you wanted to have your front bumper repainted, what might that cost? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 02:55 AM   #2
greyf36
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Grey F36

money you spend on paint is mostly on the workmanship and labor; the material is quite cheap

for example, if they take the bumper off the car and remove all the parts that do not need to be painted before painting VS painting the bumper while it's still attached to the car and use masking tape to tape off the area that do not need painted

it's simple as "more work, more money"

then the key IMO on a paint job is the prep work, properly sanding, prime and have the proper skills to apply the paint, there're many videos on youtube if you wanna know more

therefore, it's always more like how much do you wanna pay for the paint job?
if you pay $150 you get what you paid for...the guy won't charge you $150 but give you a $500 job...most of the time it will cost around 150-500 for the front bumper...

hope it helps
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2019, 02:28 PM   #3
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thank you that does help.

I've noticed my bumper was painted before I bought it - had to hit the sun at just the right angle and the color is slightly greenish in some areas. I assumed originally it was because the material of the bumper, but now I'm thinking it was just repainted cheaply. It's not noticeable really, but one of those things I'm seeing now. If you look at my Avatar photo you can see the lighter blue on the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 10:07 PM   #4
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Here is the Wash DC area one of the best shops (so the paint will match the rest of the car!) charge $600-800 for a rear bumper cover without PDC, and the rear is easier to paint vs. front (less nooks & crannies)
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 01:01 PM   #5
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
If you wanted to have your front bumper repainted, what might that cost? Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
Here is the Wash DC area one of the best shops (so the paint will match the rest of the car!) charge $600-800 for a rear bumper cover without PDC, and the rear is easier to paint vs. front (less nooks & crannies)
Also depends on metallic or not.

Metallic is harder to match properly.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 11:40 PM   #6
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Now I’m starting to wonder if my bumper was actually painted wrong or that’s just how they look in my color when the sun hits certain angles
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 12:02 PM   #7
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I had my front bumper painted. It was paid for by the lady that backed into my car. $1800. There was a spot in middle that had to be repaired. The paint had cracked and there was a crease on the bumper. They removed it, repaired and repainted it. The guy did say the front bumper takes a while to remove and paint. Lots of pieces needed to be removed prior to painting.
The results turned out great. It is metallic black. He said the paint always looks a bit different on a plastic surface compared to a metal surface. Even the factory bumpers are a bit different. True or not...mine turned out great. Excellent paint match and a great repair. I'd say the paint was a perfect match.
He did say if I was paying to repair and wanted to save $$$ he could have taped off and done a repair and a spot paint and then feathered it out to blend into the bumper. He said this would never look right and would always stand out as a spot repair.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #8
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post
I had my front bumper painted. It was paid for by the lady that backed into my car. $1800. There was a spot in middle that had to be repaired. The paint had cracked and there was a crease on the bumper. They removed it, repaired and repainted it. The guy did say the front bumper takes a while to remove and paint. Lots of pieces needed to be removed prior to painting.
The results turned out great. It is metallic black. He said the paint always looks a bit different on a plastic surface compared to a metal surface. Even the factory bumpers are a bit different. True or not...mine turned out great. Excellent paint match and a great repair. I'd say the paint was a perfect match.
He did say if I was paying to repair and wanted to save $$$ he could have taped off and done a repair and a spot paint and then feathered it out to blend into the bumper. He said this would never look right and would always stand out as a spot repair.
I was gonna say they really took that lady to the cleaners, then I saw you're in Canada. Still extremely steep at $1350 USD. Body shop labor rates in the states are like half what shops charge for mechanical work. At 1350 USD, I would think you're better off replacing and painting.
      01-21-2019, 05:15 PM   #9
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Have you priced out a new M-sport front bumper? Yikes. Pricey. It wasn't a cheap repair but it was done right. I did get a few quotes...I wasn't trying to screw her over. She was nice about it. She didn't want to make an insurance claim. The body shop I went with was the one the local BMW dealer uses and recommends. The lady was the one that told me to use the shop BMW recommended.
I actually forgot that I had to get one of the kidney grills replaced as part of the repair. It wasn't too expensive. Under $200 for the part.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 07:28 PM   #10
hh1231021
Rep
Drives: F30

I live in LA Cali.
It costs like around $700~
The paint is cheap, and the labor is more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 09:42 AM   #11
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

After searching online for my yr/color I found that it's likely just how the paint looks on the bumper due to angle and bumper material.

example of lighter color near front bumper license plate:
View post on imgur.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 10:11 AM   #12
msk340i
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Your username says "florida" so hopefully you're close to Orlando.
The shop where I go to painted my front bumper and part of the front fender for $400.
I vouch for this shop. They're very good. It's called Ultimate Auto Collision Center.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2019, 12:31 PM   #13
JayRod
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Would repainting a front bumper typically include fixing deep rock chips and other worse than normal imperfections? I'm thinking about buying a car with a pretty beat up Alpine White M sport bumper and i'm trying to figure out how much it will cost to repair.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 08:23 PM   #14
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRod View Post
Would repainting a front bumper typically include fixing deep rock chips and other worse than normal imperfections? I'm thinking about buying a car with a pretty beat up Alpine White M sport bumper and i'm trying to figure out how much it will cost to repair.
Fixing imperfections is a repair/prep issue. Hopefully it's performed before the painting is done. Get some quotes from shops doing the job correctly. You can shoot paint on anything!
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 05:00 PM   #15
BackBlue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, '13 E70 N63, '19 F33 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyf36 View Post
money you spend on paint is mostly on the workmanship and labor; the material is quite cheap

it's simple as "more work, more money"

if you pay $150 you get what you paid for...the guy won't charge you $150 but give you a $500 job...most of the time it will cost around 150-500 for the front bumper...
Exactly!!
Here you can see this demonstrated in a song :

https://www.facebook.com/SPFMEMEKING...4827811089113/
Appreciate 0