F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Turbosmart Kompact EM BOV
ARMA SPEED

02-15-2020, 04:22 PM   #1
bluef32
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435ix 6mt

Turbosmart Kompact EM BOV

I didn't see any reviews, so I decided to post one. The Turbosmart Kompact EM BOV is quite an improvement over the stock diverter valve. A reputable BMW shop near me recommended the Turbosmart over the GFB diverter valve. Unlike the GFB, no stock parts were reused, just plug and play. After upgrading to the Turbosmart, I noticed the acceleration hits harder and boost hits more consistently. On my stock diverter valve, I'm pretty sure it was leaking boost. The noise it makes is beautiful! One thing to note: I did install a CTS turbo intake and an AFE air scoop at the same time. After driving around with it for the past 2 weeks, I definitely recommend it. Specially if you are tuned/modified. The difference in sound is noticeable in eco, comfort, and sport mode; with sport having the loudest whoosh noise. I'll try to post a video of the BOV in action soon!
      02-15-2020, 04:33 PM   #2
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Tune? Plumb back or dual port?

Is it loud?

Any logs?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 10:06 PM   #3
bluef32
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435ix 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Tune? Plumb back or dual port?

Is it loud?

Any logs?
I haven't re-tuned my car since installing the Turbosmart. I'm going to re-tune it when I install a FMIC when spring hits. It is the dual port, the plumb black is much quieter. It is loud in sport mode with full send, people will definitely hear it. In comfort mode, it's a little bit louder than when my car was in sport mode (tuned) with the stock diverter valve. I don't have any logs.
I found a good video on the Turbosmart dual port:
      02-17-2020, 11:32 AM   #4
DeeM55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435i

Did you do the install yourself? If so how long did it take you? If not, how much did it cost?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 07:49 PM   #5
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

It is interesting how not even Turbosmart has any data to support this product. If there is any improvement over stock/GFB I would expect to see something supporting this. Award winning bla bla bla...they dont even write what the advantages of using it would be.

Last edited by harkes; 02-17-2020 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 07:42 AM   #6
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I messaged Jordan tuned the other day asking them what they recommend for a DV with stage 2, since I got the impression it was a necessary upgrade, but they said only change it if the stock one was leaking. So I'm a bit confused if the DV really needs to be changed when tuning. The stock unit is maintenance free. I have a GFB respons valve on another car and I take it apart yearly to relube and clean it, that's a bit more difficult on the n55 to do. Does anyone know if we really need to change the DV for higher boost?
Appreciate 1
oma3710194.50
      02-18-2020, 08:14 AM   #7
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

The thinking here is that the DV is much easier to replace with the turbo out of the car, like for a turbo upgrade. I'm in the same boat as you though. Running stage 2 tune on stock DV. No sense fixing something that ain't broke so I'm just waiting for the stock DV to give out then I'll upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandri View Post
I messaged Jordan tuned the other day asking them what they recommend for a DV with stage 2, since I got the impression it was a necessary upgrade, but they said only change it if the stock one was leaking. So I'm a bit confused if the DV really needs to be changed when tuning. The stock unit is maintenance free. I have a GFB respons valve on another car and I take it apart yearly to relube and clean it, that's a bit more difficult on the n55 to do. Does anyone know if we really need to change the DV for higher boost?

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 08:51 AM   #8
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandri View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
The thinking here is that the DV is much easier to replace with the turbo out of the car, like for a turbo upgrade. I'm in the same boat as you though. Running stage 2 tune on stock DV. No sense fixing something that ain't broke so I'm just waiting for the stock DV to give out then I'll upgrade.

^^ This

Failure is not as catastrophic as the charge pipe. I’d do just as Jared stated above

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 11:01 PM   #9
435MSPORT
Rep
Drives: 435I

Garage List
2015 BMW   [0.00]
My is f32/n55. I tuned pretty much the whole 9 yards included 1 step colder spark plugs, new ignition coils, 3.5 TMAP S sensor, meth spray, except the turbo and E85 tune upgraded. I had upgraded the Turbosmart BOV about 2 months ago. (in Sport mode) When I released the throttle, the BOV release air, I feel like the car is stalling a little bit. The power band was not as smooth. I'm wondering if anyone experiencing the same problem. I was not sure if the TurboSmart helping at all. But I didn't like it since day one. I'm planning to go back to the OEM next week. I also agreed with you, why change it when it still works. And yes, there is no data fromTurboSmart showing the positive results.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 12:29 PM   #10
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435MSPORT View Post
My is f32/n55. I tuned pretty much the whole 9 yards included 1 step colder spark plugs, new ignition coils, 3.5 TMAP S sensor, meth spray, except the turbo and E85 tune upgraded. I had upgraded the Turbosmart BOV about 2 months ago. (in Sport mode) When I released the throttle, the BOV release air, I feel like the car is stalling a little bit. The power band was not as smooth. I'm wondering if anyone experiencing the same problem. I was not sure if the TurboSmart helping at all. But I didn't like it since day one. I'm planning to go back to the OEM next week. I also agreed with you, why change it when it still works. And yes, there is no data fromTurboSmart showing the positive results.
Did you get plumb back or VTA version?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 08:09 AM   #11
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435MSPORT View Post
I posted a log going from a DV+ to the TS BOV a couple months ago showing a ton of positive results, mostly WGDC and no overboost after gear shifts. I do have a PS2 installed.

We won't know anything unless you post logs, your tune might be off.
      12-07-2020, 11:22 AM   #12
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Just picked one up on sale at *Kies, we'll see how it goes.

Last edited by AmuroRay; 12-07-2020 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: Correct vendor
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 11:38 AM   #13
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Just picked one up on sale at XHP, we'll see how it goes.
Get some before and after logs, would love to dig into them. I am still on the fence about getting one since my stock DV seems to be doing just fine, so would like to see some EWG data. Not so much worried about the cost, just don't feel like getting myself into that install right now lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 12:45 PM   #14
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

I’m trying - but I don’t know how much of anything I can do right now. I want to have a FBO sans tune dyno, and do another post tune (installing MILVs - eventually lol)

But the idea is to get a BM3 E30+ like tune, on 93 octane. I don’t have it in me to find E85, much less track it’s content.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 01:23 PM   #15
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
I’m trying - but I don’t know how much of anything I can do right now. I want to have a FBO sans tune dyno, and do another post tune (installing MILVs - eventually lol)

But the idea is to get a BM3 E30+ like tune, on 93 octane. I don’t have it in me to find E85, much less track it’s content.
I've been researching E30 BootMod3 tunes because I found out that there is an E85 station near me.

I have the impression that it's not too difficult to put both E85 and 93 in the tank when I fill up. I gather that it's important with an E30 tune to make sure that the tank contains a minimum of E30 but it's no big deal if it is more than that.
(Someone please correct me if I am wrong this)

The actual calculation is a little goofy because my local 93 octane actually contains 10% Ethanol. But I found an online calculator that does the math for me. Below is a table that I came up with based on the 15.8 gas tank capacity.

E30 Mix in 15.8 gallon tank
Put this much E85 in a 15.8 gallon tank that already contains some 93 octane, then fill up the remainder of the tank with 93 octane (that already contains 10% ethanol)

4.3 gallons E85 + 93 octane = E30
5.0 gallons = E34
7.9 gallons = E48
8.4 gallons = E50

So far in my research it appears that I can run:
BootMod3 N55 EWG Stage2 E30
with the stock turbo and stock HPFP

Note: Im pretty sure that the stock N55 PWG is already maxed out as far as the air it can move, but the N55 EWG stock turbo still has capacity. Still the N55 EWG needs airflow upgrades so I have an aFe Pro Dry drop-in air filter (better air flow and no oil to gunk up the expensive MAF sensor), Pure Turbo Inlet Pipe (+42% airflow into turbo housing over stock), and a Turbosmart BOV (replacing my stock Diverter Valve)

BootMod3 N55 EWG Stage2+ E30 tune still runs with the stock turbo, but requires an upgraded aftermarket HPFP such as the Dorch Stage1.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2165.00
      12-07-2020, 01:42 PM   #16
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I've been researching E30 BootMod3 tunes because I found out that there is an E85 station near me.

I have the impression that it's not too difficult to put both E85 and 93 in the tank when I fill up. I gather that it's important with an E30 tune to make sure that the tank contains a minimum of E30 but it's no big deal if it is more than that.

The actual calculation is a little goofy because my local 93 octane actually contains 10% Ethanol. But I found an online calculator that does the math for me. Below is a table that I came up with based on the 15.8 gas tank capacity.

Put this much E85 in a 15.8 gallon tank that already contains some 93 octane, then fill up the remainder of the tank with 93 octane (that already contains 10% ethanol)

5.0 gallons = E34
7.9 gallons = E48
8.4 gallons = E50

Note: Im pretty sure that the stock N55 PWG is already maxed out as far as the air it can move, but the N55 EWG stock turbo still has capacity. Still the N55 EWG needs airflow upgrades so I have an aFe Pro Dry drop-in air filter (better air flow and no oil to gunk up the expensive MAF sensor), Pure Turbo Inlet Pipe (+42% airflow into turbo housing over stock), and a Turbosmart BOV (replacing my stock Diverter Valve)

BootMod3 N55 EWG Stage2+ E30 tune still runs with the stock turbo, but requires an upgraded aftermarket HPFP such as the Dorch Stage1.
Indeed its not too difficult, i have been running E30 since March - not a single pump gas tank since then. Note however i am on MHD.

However, this statement is not entirely true:

Quote:
I gather that it's important with an E30 tune to make sure that the tank contains a minimum of E30 but it's no big deal if it is more than that.
Assuming you still have stock HPFP and are EWG, data suggests that you will most likely crash the HPFP with E30 on the BM3 stage 2 OTS E30 map. Most people can only get away with around E25, depending on ambient temps and some other variables. You certainly dont want to go over E30 with stock HPFP.

The E30 is just a recommendation, mostly in the context of the amount of ethanol you need to have enough octane to sustain the timing targets in the tune. Compared to the pump gas maps, the E30 map dials back boost a bit but runs significantly more timing. You don't need E30, you just need enough ethanol to have high enough octane to not have crazy timing corrections or knock. Depending on the quality of the pump gas you are mixing with, you may be able to get away with a lower E%. I highly recommend starting with less than 30% on your first mix, say 25%, then logging to check your timing and HPFP. If you are not crashing the HPFP and need more octane, you can gradually increase from there. In contrast if you start with 30% or higher, you may crash the HPFP right off the bat, which is never good.

If you have a HPFP this is less relevant because in that case i would say err on the side of more ethanol, and i would probably run 35-40% as needed to get perfect timing. But if you have a upgraded HPFP, you would be running the 2+ map anyways, and that maps REALLY likes more ethanol, in the 40-50% range.

I highly recommend reading through the E30 fueling thread, especially starting around page 6: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1774205&page=6

I provide several example tables for mixing E30 depending on your pump gas and E85 E%. Apps also exist.
Appreciate 3
AmuroRay2165.00
johnung4512.00
      12-08-2020, 12:15 AM   #17
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:

5.0 gallons = E34
7.9 gallons = E48
8.4 gallons = E50

Indeed its not too difficult, i have been running E30 since March - not a single pump gas tank since then. Note however i am on MHD.

However, this statement is not entirely true:

Quote:
I gather that it's important with an E30 tune to make sure that the tank contains a minimum of E30 but it's no big deal if it is more than that.
Assuming you still have stock HPFP and are EWG, data suggests that you will most likely crash the HPFP with E30 on the BM3 stage 2 OTS E30 map. Most people can only get away with around E25, depending on ambient temps and some other variables. You certainly dont want to go over E30 with stock HPFP.

The E30 is just a recommendation, mostly in the context of the amount of ethanol you need to have enough octane to sustain the timing targets in the tune. Compared to the pump gas maps, the E30 map dials back boost a bit but runs significantly more timing. You don't need E30, you just need enough ethanol to have high enough octane to not have crazy timing corrections or knock. Depending on the quality of the pump gas you are mixing with, you may be able to get away with a lower E%. I highly recommend starting with less than 30% on your first mix, say 25%, then logging to check your timing and HPFP. If you are not crashing the HPFP and need more octane, you can gradually increase from there. In contrast if you start with 30% or higher, you may crash the HPFP right off the bat, which is never good.

If you have a HPFP this is less relevant because in that case i would say err on the side of more ethanol, and i would probably run 35-40% as needed to get perfect timing. But if you have a upgraded HPFP, you would be running the 2+ map anyways, and that maps REALLY likes more ethanol, in the 40-50% range.

I highly recommend reading through the E30 fueling thread, especially starting around page 6: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...205&page=6

I provide several example tables for mixing E30 depending on your pump gas and E85 E%. Apps also exist.
Thanks for your response. I think that I'm trying to absorb this stuff too fast so I may have confused so things between running E30 with stock HPFP and running E30 with an upgraded HPFP and a new Stage2+ tune
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 01:41 PM   #18
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I recently ended up eith a tear in my stock DV, so I decided to upgrade while I was in there. Install was a huge pain, even after removing the water pump.

Got the plumb back version, kind of wish I had gone dual port for the noise. The plumb back is actually quieter than my stock dv.

My turbosmart does make an audible squeak/chirp when letting off though. I've seen other reports of this, just wish I got more "pshewww" in addition lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 02:33 PM   #19
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschmacher View Post
I recently ended up eith a tear in my stock DV, so I decided to upgrade while I was in there. Install was a huge pain, even after removing the water pump.

Got the plumb back version, kind of wish I had gone dual port for the noise. The plumb back is actually quieter than my stock dv.

My turbosmart does make an audible squeak/chirp when letting off though. I've seen other reports of this, just wish I got more "pshewww" in addition lol.
yep, normal.. you'll get used to it
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2021, 02:23 AM   #20
locum
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

I just installed the Plumb Back version and took her for a spin. I get a noticeable squeak when accelerating which sounds more like little chicken crying than a performance part… Kinda embarrassing, as it makes my vehicle sound like an old rusty wagon.

Because I also upgraded both charge pipes (ER) and intercooler (Wagner 2), confirmed the same squeak is present when stationary though not with every throttle. Go figure…

Could not find any torque specs for the three bolts, so used BMW's max torque rec for this bolt type = 10nm. Which torque did you use?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 12:17 PM   #21
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by locum View Post
I just installed the Plumb Back version and took her for a spin. I get a noticeable squeak when accelerating which sounds more like little chicken crying than a performance part… Kinda embarrassing, as it makes my vehicle sound like an old rusty wagon.

Because I also upgraded both charge pipes (ER) and intercooler (Wagner 2), confirmed the same squeak is present when stationary though not with every throttle. Go figure…

Could not find any torque specs for the three bolts, so used BMW's max torque rec for this bolt type = 10nm. Which torque did you use?
Like I said, I wish I had gone dual port. The noise is normal for the plumb-back. I'm sure you torqued everything fine. Not much force needed for the DV bolts.
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 02:10 PM   #22
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Dang all these reports of squeaks... looks like ill be keeping stock DV. Can anyone comment if there is the same noise with the GFB?
Appreciate 0