F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > f30 328ixd 2013
proTUNING Freaks

07-28-2021, 12:34 PM   #1
damian877
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw f30

f30 328ixd 2013

hello when I acceleration between 1500-2000 i hear this sound

Does somebody knows what is the sound? My car has not problems with power, timing chain and oil pump because everything is replaced with new ones. I have chip for ~280hp. The car has a mileage of 52 000 miles.the turbine pulls very well from the bottom so I don't know what is it.
I am writing because I am simply annoyed by the sound
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 12:41 PM   #2
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' BMW 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian877 View Post
hello when I acceleration between 1500-2000 i hear this sound

Does somebody knows what is the sound? My car has not problems with power, timing chain and oil pump because everything is replaced with new ones. I have chip for ~280hp. The car has a mileage of 52 000 miles.
I am writing because I am simply annoyed by the sound
It's the Turbo. Dealership and reputable Indie confirmed for me.

I currently have the same sound. I've been driving with that sound for the past 20,000 km and there have been no codes and there hasn't been any loss in power as far as I can tell.

The turbo has to be replaced.
      07-28-2021, 01:45 PM   #3
damian877
Enlisted Member
Rep

if there are no symptoms of a damaged turbocharger, only this noise, why replace the entire turbocharger?
if it's turbo, why can't you hear it in neutral/park?
What exactly is broken in the turbo and causes this noise when the car has very good power and acceleration?
(Someone from the forum has already regenerated the entire turbocharger and the sound is still there. The car has a low mileage and is well-kept, so I don't believe in the failure of the turbocharger.)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 02:07 PM   #4
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
if there are no symptoms of a damaged turbocharger, only this noise, why replace the entire turbocharger?
if it's turbo, why can't you hear it in neutral/park?
What exactly is broken in the turbo and causes this noise when the car has very good power and acceleration?
(Someone from the forum has already regenerated the entire turbocharger and the sound is still there. The car has a low mileage and is well-kept, so I don't believe in the failure of the turbocharger.)
Well fixing the turbo charger is less ideal. Sure, you can rebuild it, but the non-rebuilt components are still worn. In my experience, there isn't much of a price difference between new and rebuilt, and the new one has 0 miles on it. How and when the turbo fails is also unknown with this sound. It could be a simple breakdown (code and loss of power) or debris could go into the engine (although unlikely). It could be days or weeks or years. It also depends on how you drive, tunes etc. No one knows when it will break.

One thing is certain, which is that the end of the turbo has begun.

The turbo only spools under load. Therefore, it cannot be heard when in neutral or park.

I'm not certain what's broken. Likely, it is the turbo bearings that are worn. Since the turbo bearings are worn, when it spins, it makes that sound. That is what both the Indie and Dealer said.

Mine is also low mileage and well kept. But it is what it is.
      07-28-2021, 02:21 PM   #5
damian877
Enlisted Member
Rep

Why buy a new turbo if it starts to irritate again after a short distance? I think the turbine is broken when it lacks power, it is smoking from the exhaust pipe and it groans strongly after taking the leg off the gas. It's not here. And as far as I know, many people in this engine have it regardless of the mileage. I do not know if it is not worth assuming that these engines are just like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 04:35 PM   #6
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Why buy a new turbo if it starts to irritate again after a short distance? I think the turbine is broken when it lacks power, it is smoking from the exhaust pipe and it groans strongly after taking the leg off the gas. It's not here. And as far as I know, many people in this engine have it regardless of the mileage. I do not know if it is not worth assuming that these engines are just like that.
Well it shouldn't irritate after a short distance. These cars had a recall on the oil supply lines for a check valve.

Before, there was no check valve, and so when the engine was off, the oil would flow back into the engine. When you started the engine and before the oil was pumped back to the turbo, the turbo would be spinning on metal without any oil.

This accelerated the wear of the turbo and caused BMWs recall. But between buying the car and the recall, these turbos suffered damage each time the engine was turned on.
      07-29-2021, 12:25 AM   #7
damian877
Enlisted Member
Rep

on park/neutral i can hear this same or similar noisy like this from turbo
I am very curious what exactly is causing this noise if everything is working properly🧐🧐

Last edited by damian877; 08-16-2021 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 0