F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Getting iTunes Playlists onto a USB Stick
Extreme Powerhouse

10-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
Ngunguru
(a small town in NZ in case you're wondering)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport (on order)

Getting iTunes Playlists onto a USB Stick

Apologies if this is already common knowledge, but after discovering that my old iPod didn't work in my new F31, I have been searching around to work out the best way of using a USB stick for music instead.

I had been able to get the tracks onto a stick, which played in the car with album art and I could search by artist, album, etc. What I was struggling with was getting playlists to show up in the car.

I've now discovered a small piece of software that can be downloaded from the Mac app store called 'Playlist Export' by Eric Daugherty. Stating the obvious but this does what it says on the tin and 'syncs' nicely between my existing iTunes on the Mac and a USB stick.

Once the software has done its thing, plug the stick into the car's USB, wait a few seconds for it to be read (and a few more to allow it time to then read additional data) and voila! - my playlists show up under the 'Playlists' menu item in the car!

I now have music in the car in exactly the same way as with an iPod, but without the need for an iPod or compatible cable.

Ok, so it's the little things, but has made me happy!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

Sounds good, I'm getting annoyed with my iPod at the moment, battery keeps dying on me so might be better to switch to this to reduce complications
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Boxsterfeet
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d xdrive

I was thinking of swapping from ipod classic to usb to get higher res album art, but have about 140GB music collection, so quite a high price for a USB drive! Is the album art clearer than that using the ipod classic?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
mproudfoot
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d F31 M Sport

Sounds good, just a shame using a USB stick doesn't support gapless audio. Nothing more annoying than an album where all the tracks blend straight into the next, instead end up with 2 sec gaps between each one
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
Silurian69
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 325d GT

I also plan to export my music from iTunes onto a USB stick. How did you do the export? Did you copy the iTunes/music folder directly in Finder, or did you drag and drop the music from within iTunes onto the USB stick? Where on the USB stick did you put the playlist export files?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Ngunguru
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxsterfeet View Post
I was thinking of swapping from ipod classic to usb to get higher res album art, but have about 140GB music collection, so quite a high price for a USB drive! Is the album art clearer than that using the ipod classic?
Couldn't get the iPod to work so not sure on the difference. Didn't notice any real change between stick and my iPhone, but had assumed the image quality would be the same (same image file embedded somewhere?).
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngunguru View Post
Apologies if this is already common knowledge, but after discovering that my old iPod didn't work in my new F31, I have been searching around to work out the best way of using a USB stick for music instead.

I had been able to get the tracks onto a stick, which played in the car with album art and I could search by artist, album, etc. What I was struggling with was getting playlists to show up in the car.

I've now discovered a small piece of software that can be downloaded from the Mac app store called 'Playlist Export' by Eric Daugherty. Stating the obvious but this does what it says on the tin and 'syncs' nicely between my existing iTunes on the Mac and a USB stick.

Once the software has done its thing, plug the stick into the car's USB, wait a few seconds for it to be read (and a few more to allow it time to then read additional data) and voila! - my playlists show up under the 'Playlists' menu item in the car!

I now have music in the car in exactly the same way as with an iPod, but without the need for an iPod or compatible cable.

Ok, so it's the little things, but has made me happy!
Nice find.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
Jools-Devon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian69 View Post
I also plan to export my music from iTunes onto a USB stick. How did you do the export? Did you copy the iTunes/music folder directly in Finder, or did you drag and drop the music from within iTunes onto the USB stick? Where on the USB stick did you put the playlist export files?
Just copy the mp3 files from the music folder to the USB stick.....

I started transferring mine tonight, but found I had duplicate files in iTunes, so now I have 2 of every track in my car.....

I need to tidy up my music folder, and then start again
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
Ngunguru
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I used the above mentioned software to export directly onto the stick. When you launch the software it should show your playlists on the left - select the ones you want, make sure the drop down menu on the right is set to 'copy music' and hit the 'export' button. I exported straight to the stick (no folders/sub-folders required).

You can copy tracks across in Finder from the iTunes/music folder, but I couldn't get my playlists to show up unless I used the software.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 02:10 AM   #10
Kick.doc
Private
Rep
Drives: F30. 320d M-Sport EBII

Garage List
Will AAC's play from a memory stick or just Mp3's. Most of my files in iTunes are AAC

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #11
Ngunguru
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick.doc View Post
Will AAC's play from a memory stick or just Mp3's. Most of my files in iTunes are AAC

Cheers
You should be ok with AAC files - from BMW's website:

"The USB audio interface...All common formats are supported (MP3, AAC, WAV and WMA) as well as M3U-format playlists."
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 05:13 AM   #12
Firecrest
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 318d

I've transfered the files, but It plays one track at a time (over and over again), how do I get the tracks to follow one to another like on a iPod?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 02:11 AM   #13
mlnblhl
Registered
Rep
Drives: THE X5

Download the songs

Quote:
You can download the songs first and then import them to a USB stick. You can find many useful tools to download the song, such as AMusicSoft Apple Music Converter.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 03:18 AM   #14
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlnblhl View Post
You can download the songs first and then import them to a USB stick. You can find many useful tools to download the song, such as AMusicSoft Apple Music Converter.
I suspect he might have managed this and probably sold the car since the OP was 8 years ago!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 09:07 AM   #15
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Holy thread revival, Batman...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0