F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Race Gas vs Unleaded Supreme.
Studio RSR

02-24-2015, 08:46 AM   #1
Burnt C6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Race Gas vs Unleaded Supreme.

I’m doing my first BMW HPDE Track event at COTA in March . Is it worth the money to buy 15 Gal of 100 octane Sunoco Gas for the day of Racing or just drive it with 93 Supreme. The car has the Dinan Tune in her. I don’t think Temp is going to have an impact on things as it should be rather cool for Texas.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 02:17 PM   #2
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i 8SA M-Adaptive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt C6 View Post
I’m doing my first BMW HPDE Track event at COTA in March . Is it worth the money to buy 15 Gal of 100 octane Sunoco Gas for the day of Racing or just drive it with 93 Supreme. The car has the Dinan Tune in her. I don’t think Temp is going to have an impact on things as it should be rather cool for Texas.
You won't need race gas, you'd just be wasting your money

I was out at COTA last year, no heat issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 02:18 PM   #3
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
FYI link to my post about the track

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=963725
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2015, 04:20 PM   #4
bou707
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Awesome video.
What equipment and software did you use to record/overlay the video with all that information?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 08:16 AM   #5
Burnt C6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

thanks for the info and the Video. like BOU707 what did you use to get the video. I have 2 Go Pro's that I will be using but would love to have something like that
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 01:46 PM   #6
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bou707 View Post
Awesome video.
What equipment and software did you use to record/overlay the video with all that information?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt C6 View Post
thanks for the info and the Video. like BOU707 what did you use to get the video. I have 2 Go Pro's that I will be using but would love to have something like that
I use trackAddict on my iPhone to collect telemetry. The iPhone is paired with a Bluetooth Dual XGPS150A to get good speed and location (the iphone's gps is garbage) and an ELM327 OBD2 WiFi transmitter to read RPM, intake manifold pressure, IAT, pedal position etc

I run a GoPro3 Black on a custom mount I built that attaches to the headrest of the driver's seat. The GoPro's connected to an external mic (Sony EMC-DS70P) that I put down by the cigarette lighter with a foam wind-sock over it. Works well down there even with the windows open to get voices. When I recorded this one, I didn't have the sony camera, sound was from the GoPro internal mic. There's usually another GoPro mounted on the rear glass using a RAM suction mount. It cut out on that video b/c it ran out of batteries - forgot to charge it

I marry it all together with RaceRender2 - I find the software really easy to use. The gauge cluser I use I made from pictures of my own gauges with the needles blacked out, then I have racerender draw the needles in for me.

It all take a bit to learn, but now I can just throw my files in, synchronise them, and render without any real effort
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2015, 03:59 PM   #7
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red F30 328i M Sport

This sounds amazing! How do you get onto a list for COTA?

So far my F30 328 has received coilovers with camber plates, a front splitter, oil catch can, dual exhaust, and soon will get the Activ8 tune, Treadstone Chargepipes and ATM FMIC so I need to get it on a track. Since I live in Austin COTA would be awesome!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 04:35 PM   #8
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubok View Post
This sounds amazing! How do you get onto a list for COTA?

So far my F30 328 has received coilovers with camber plates, a front splitter, oil catch can, dual exhaust, and soon will get the Activ8 tune, Treadstone Chargepipes and ATM FMIC so I need to get it on a track. Since I live in Austin COTA would be awesome!
Here's the information for this year

The 2015 / Third Annual BMWCCA Texas Trifecta

Friday, March 20th – Sunday, March 22nd, 2015

Circuit of the Americas – Austin, TX

The Lone Star, Tejas, and Houston Chapters of the BMWCCA proudly present the third annual Texas Trifecta at the Circuit of the Americas Formula 1 track in Austin, TX. This High Performance Driving School will give you the opportunity to drive your car at speed and to experience the potential of the unique combination of car and driver. It is safe, demanding and most importantly FUN! All students will alternate between classroom sessions and time on the track with an instructor. The individualized instruction is a key to this program that has been developed over decades, and compares very favorably with commercial schools costing many times more. Our experienced instructors have come from racing, autocrossing and BMWCCA schools.

NOTE: As of 02/05/2015 We have opened up a FIRST-EVER NOVICE student group on the Circuit of the Americas track for our Texas Trifecta.
NOVICE/BEGINNER drivers may now register for instructed driving on the big track for Friday, and for the autocross on Saturday if you would like to try autocross too. Don't miss your chance!!!

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO AND TO REGISTER
http://lscbmwcca.us7.list-manage.com...a&e=c981b72619
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #9
RJ's325ITS
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 Turbo, E36 GTS2 Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenigma View Post
I use trackAddict on my iPhone to collect telemetry. The iPhone is paired with a Bluetooth Dual XGPS150A to get good speed and location (the iphone's gps is garbage) and an ELM327 OBD2 WiFi transmitter to read RPM, intake manifold pressure, IAT, pedal position etc

I run a GoPro3 Black on a custom mount I built that attaches to the headrest of the driver's seat. The GoPro's connected to an external mic (Sony EMC-DS70P) that I put down by the cigarette lighter with a foam wind-sock over it. Works well down there even with the windows open to get voices. When I recorded this one, I didn't have the sony camera, sound was from the GoPro internal mic. There's usually another GoPro mounted on the rear glass using a RAM suction mount. It cut out on that video b/c it ran out of batteries - forgot to charge it

I marry it all together with RaceRender2 - I find the software really easy to use. The gauge cluser I use I made from pictures of my own gauges with the needles blacked out, then I have racerender draw the needles in for me.

It all take a bit to learn, but now I can just throw my files in, synchronise them, and render without any real effort
I really dig the gauge set-up, they deliver a pretty realistic experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 08:23 AM   #10
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I heard from BMS a while ago that higher octane can help keep temps down. Can't hurt to add the 100 octane but there likely won't be a benefit if you are isn't running a tune to take advantage of the higher octane.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 09:42 PM   #11
RJ's325ITS
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 Turbo, E36 GTS2 Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I heard from BMS a while ago that higher octane can help keep temps down. Can't hurt to add the 100 octane but there likely won't be a benefit if you are isn't running a tune to take advantage of the higher octane.
When not tuned for it:
Higher octane = slower burn = less heat = less power
>> The DME will try to adjust timing via the tables but it can only do so much, once reaches it's limit to see any gains you must change the timing/fuel tables <<

When tuned for it:
high compression motor or a tune (lean/aggressive timing) + higher octane fuel = more power = more heat.
>> in a NA engine the high octane fuel is used to prevent knock, or to try to run the motor lean to find more power, or bc the compression is too high for regular 93oct. Is also used to prevent knock when you run too much boost, heat = knock = DME adjust timing to protect the engine = less power, or when you reach the limit of the spark... you literally can not light up the fuel in the combustion chamber <<

power = heat
Appreciate 0