F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW statement concerning current media reports condemning diesel
Extreme Powerhouse

07-23-2017, 11:26 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW statement concerning current media reports condemning diesel

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW statement concerning current media reports condemning diesel
COMMENTS
Name:  2017_bmw_5-series_119_1600x1200.jpg
Views: 10622
Size:  222.9 KB

July 23, 2017... Munich. Due to current media reports, the BMW Group considers it has become necessary to make its position regarding recent allegations clear.

As a matter of principle: BMW Group vehicles are not manipulated and comply with respective legal requirements. Of course this also applies to diesel vehicles. Confirmation of this is provided by the results of relevant official investigations at the national and international level.

The BMW Group categorically rejects accusations that Euro 6 diesel vehicles sold by the company do not provide adequate exhaust gas treatment due to AdBlue tanks that are too small.

Technology employed by the BMW Group is clearly differentiated from other systems in the market. We compete to provide the best exhaust treatment systems: unlike other manufacturers, BMW Group diesel vehicles employ a combination of various components to treat exhaust emissions. Vehicles which use urea injection with AdBlue (SCR) to treat exhaust emissions also employ a NOx-storage catalytic converter. With this combination of technologies, we fulfil all legal emissions requirements and also achieve a very good real-life emissions performance. This means there is no need to recall or upgrade the software of BMW Group Euro 6 diesel passenger cars.

In addition, the combination of both systems, together with exhaust-gas recirculation, requires a lower level of AdBlue injection and leads to a very low AdBlue consumption in comparison to other manufacturers. This enables an optimized tank size while also achieving very low emissions in real-driving conditions. Furthermore, BMW Group diesel vehicles have a simple refill solution through the tank lid or engine hood, depending on the model. BMW Group customers are informed by the vehicle in good time and repeatedly concerning a low AdBlue fill level. If this is ignored, the vehicle eventually prevents operation.

From a BMW Group perspective, the objective of discussions with other manufacturers concerning AdBlue tanks was the installation of the required tanking infrastructure in Europe.

In addition, the BMW Group confirms its commitment to conduct a voluntary software upgrade of suitable Euro 5 diesel passenger cars at no cost to customers. This upgrade incorporates knowledge gained in the field over the last years to realize further improvements in emissions. We deem this to be a part of a comprehensive and joint plan of measures involving municipalities and the industry, to further improve inner-city air quality without across-the-board driving bans, within the context of the “Diesel Summit” on 2 August 2017.

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2017, 11:34 AM   #2
RamboUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 (G01) xDrive20i M Sport

OK I get the euro 6 thing but what is this voluntary upgrade of euro 5 diesels? Will this make them euro 6 compliant? Not heard anything about this?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 11:39 AM   #3
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

OK, now release a statement denying your participation in the German car cartel
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10538.50
JustChris17485.50
      07-23-2017, 11:45 AM   #4
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
VAG?
Appreciate 1
Brake_Late1937.50
      07-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #5
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
This is all in response to the reports of the German cartel, which any observer with a few IQ points easily sees as being true.

Our own SCOTT26 in his arrogance used to brag about how the first car from a new production line would be delivered to the bmw gates by mercedes and vice versa. The German car structure is that they won't hurt each other and possibly help each other where mutually beneficial. When it comes to competing in the global market that would make sense from a $ point of view.

The problem is that structure is not good for consumers nor is it good for the products in the long run.

You can tangibly see this now, cars from all the German brands now drive and steer very similarly. Transmissions between them are almost ubiquitously the same. With a new German car what you are paying for is a brand name, styling and whatever pride your ego assigns to those things. When one of 3 decides to go with conservative homogenized styling across the lineup all the rest do he exact same thing. An amazing co incidence for car styling which is set years in advance. Of course there is collusion.

So the German companies have high profits while we have subpar and homogenized products. I do hope this forces a change in how bussiness is done because any change in how bmw operates would be good from our perspective. As we all know it is German Toyota right now.

A truism in the world is that every action has unintended consequences, and the diesel gate is far from over it seems as they are now reaching their hands into the very corporate bowels of these companies and I for one cheer this on. We need change and if bmw feels the heat, maybe they will put effort into making a drivers car to compete instead of cheating or feeling the need to collude with the "competition".
mkoesel7511.50
JTO245274.50
raysspl991.50
      07-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #6
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
The environmental extremists have diesel in their crosshairs and will not be satisfied until it's no longer in use.
Ex_Stig2594.00
lab_rat394.50
omg61872.00
Kdavis61124.50
michal12203.50
Soul_Glo13346.00
raysspl991.50
      07-23-2017, 11:49 AM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Diesel is becoming more and more of a political cluster-lay with each passing week - officially a fiasco in my book. A shame for sure, but a boon for the PHEV and EV lobby.
Appreciate 2
c63er876.00
cwhands640.00
      07-23-2017, 11:49 AM   #8
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
VAG?
http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/soz...a-1159052.html
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 1
c63er876.00
      07-23-2017, 12:01 PM   #9
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by c63er View Post
Quote:
This is all in response to the reports of the German cartel, which any observer with a few IQ points easily sees as being true.

Our own scott in his arrogance used to brag about how the first car from a new production line would be delivered to the bmw gates by mercedes and vice versa. The German car structure is that they won't hurt each other and possibly help each other where mutually beneficial. When it comes to competing in the global market that would make sense from a $ point of view.

The problem is that structure is not good for consumers nor is it good for the products in the long run.

You can tangibly see this now, cars from all the German brands now drive and steer very similarly. Transmissions between them are almost ubiquitously the same. With a new German car what you are paying for is a brand name, styling and whatever pride your ego assigns to those things. When one of 3 decides to go with conservative homogenized styling across the lineup all the rest do he exact same thing. An amazing co incidence for car styling which is set years in advance. Of course there is collusion.

So the German companies have high profits while we have subpar and homogenized products. I do hope this forces a change in how bussiness is done because any change in how bmw operates would be good from our perspective. As we all know it is German Toyota right now.

A truism in the world is that every action has unintended consequences, and the diesel gate is far from over it seems as they are now reaching their hands into the very corporate bowels of these companies and I for one cheer this on. We need change and if bmw feels the heat Maybee thy will put effort into making a drivers car to compete.

Don't burn up those few IQ points...

https://www.unece.org/trans/main/welcwp29.html
Appreciate 1
Bols231.00
      07-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #10
Brake_Late
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 FIREORANGE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
The environmental extremists have diesel in their crosshairs and will not be satisfied until it's no longer in use.
Dear BMW AG,

Please invent test and release

a diesel / hybrid. Get 100mpg

And heck make it a gran coupe option as well
Why not

clean as clean gets.

Don't give up on the dirty D.
Think of the torque alone.

clean diesel exists add Urea or "DEF" fluid

Just 2 cents.

USA

Lol

#respectyourelders
BMWPhotoVin, 01of01, GTS DCT, EPS, MDM,
CS EDC,Analog Dip ,GTS parts.
Euro Vin e30 M3, FIA cage / 14.7 p / w ratio.
Euro E30 touring G30 MSport i3s LBB X5M
3.2carrera

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClRTsfNzuz_EjUBu59UCykA
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 12:20 PM   #11
Brake_Late
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake_Late View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Dear BMW AG,

Please invent test and release

a diesel / hybrid. Get 100mpg

And heck make it a gran coupe option as well
Why not

clean as clean gets.

Don't give up on the dirty D.
Think of the torque alone.

clean diesel exists add Urea or "DEF" fluid

Just 2 cents.

USA

Lol

#respectyourelders
AndPS ...

if you start making cars like this prime example
for instance...

we will walk away somehow.

Maybe Cadillac or

Need I say it ? Volkswagen or even Benz ??
Think it over and please build better cars again.

In general

Sincerely,

The people.

(And yes, jaguar is a diesel 2.0d )
3.2carrera

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 12:22 PM   #12
Brake_Late
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Pics of hideous example do not copy
Attached Images

3.2carrera

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 02:16 PM   #13
drjoe66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 & 2019 X3

As someone who has been working in exhaust catalysis for almost 20 years now, the amount of false and misleading information the media, in particular in Germany, produce is staggering. And then I love all these experts they always dig out. None of them are engineers or scientists. And of course the politicians believe everything they hear if it is simple enough for them to comprehend.....
Appreciate 3
nozydog465.00
michal12203.50
raysspl991.50
      07-23-2017, 02:26 PM   #14
BorisBulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5 m sport

The petty cheating of US EPA reg's is why I will never buy a VW or Audi!
Appreciate 2
nozydog465.00
Brake_Late1937.50
      07-23-2017, 02:34 PM   #15
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by c63er View Post

Our own SCOTT26 in his arrogance used to brag about how the first car from a new production line would be delivered to the bmw gates by mercedes and vice versa. The German car structure is that they won't hurt each other and possibly help each other where mutually beneficial. When it comes to competing in the global market that would make sense from a $ point of view.

A truism in the world is that every action has unintended consequences, and the diesel gate is far from over it seems as they are now reaching their hands into the very corporate bowels of these companies and I for one cheer this on. We need change and if bmw feels the heat, maybe they will put effort into making a drivers car to compete instead of cheating or feeling the need to collude with the "competition".
You make some interesting points.

But BMW being the German Toyota? Surely that distinction should be bestowed to the company making the most taxicabs, Mercedes Benz.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 3
nozydog465.00
Brake_Late1937.50
      07-23-2017, 02:54 PM   #16
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

c63er

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post

But BMW being the German Toyota? Surely that distinction should be bestowed to the company making the most taxicabs, Mercedes Benz.

I think your both wrong. The largest German company with the most "pull" to set automotive car parts prices is... VOLKSWAGEN. Yes, VW. They build so many cars that share so many of the same parts... that VW can tell a company how MUCH they will pay IF that company wants to do business with VW. BMW and MB are small-er players in that game.

ALSO... the one thing that hardly no one will talk about when it comes to EURO 6 emission diesels... is that they can only meet those emission standards down to 9.5'C(49' Fahrenheit) temps!! Colder than 49'F and the Ad-Blue injection no longer works!

Dackel
Appreciate 3
      07-23-2017, 03:15 PM   #17
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
c63er

Quote:

I think your both wrong. The largest German company with the most "pull" to set automotive car parts prices is... VOLKSWAGEN. Yes, VW. They build so many cars that share so many of the same parts... that VW can tell a company how MUCH they will pay IF that company wants to do business with VW. BMW and MB are small-er players in that game.

ALSO... the one thing that hardly no one will talk about when it comes to EURO 6 emission diesels... is that they can only meet those emission standards down to 9.5'C(49' Fahrenheit) temps!! Colder than 49'F and the Ad-Blue injection no longer works!

Dackel
Don't forget Bosch. None of the big three dogs anything w/out Bosch involvement

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 03:23 PM   #18
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
BMW doesn't use Bosch for their engine motor management(ECU's)... they use Siemens.

Dackel
Appreciate 2
Brake_Late1937.50
      07-23-2017, 03:58 PM   #19
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:
BMW doesn't use Bosch for their engine motor management(ECU's)... they use Siemens.

Dackel
Fuel pumps and fuel injectors?

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 04:10 PM   #20
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Quote:

Dackel
Yes they do, the ECU in my F31 330d, which was replaced when I had the MPPK installed, has the word BOSCH stamped on it
Brake_Late1937.50
      07-23-2017, 04:10 PM   #21
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:

Dackel
Ummm MEVD is made by whom?
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10538.50
Brake_Late1937.50
      07-23-2017, 04:30 PM   #22
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Quote:
c63er

Quote:

Dackel
So does that mean that any German cars that use ADblue is polluting at 9c and colder?
Appreciate 0