F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > f30 vs f80 chassis differences
Studio RSR

07-18-2018, 07:52 AM   #1
listed5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 M3 DCT black/bamboo

f30 vs f80 chassis differences

Does anyone know if there are any true chassis differences across the 3 series line-up? I have a nearly irreparable M3 (frame damage) and I'm contemplating moving every component to a cheaper, f30 donor body. Most parts on realoem seem to match up.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 09:09 AM   #2
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

There's no way that makes financial sense. But are you strictly talking body panels, or drivetrain?
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 09:20 AM   #3
listed5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
There's no way that makes financial sense. But are you strictly talking body panels, or drivetrain?
Haha. it might when you have an irreparable M3 worth literally nothing and can buy a high mileage 328 for 10 grand. spend 120 or so hours swapping parts; and boom. *possibly* lemon from aids... I'm more concerned about whether or not all of the suspension components (shocks, rear diff, etc) are of similar spec/location and will bolt up. i would literally be transferring every removable part from the M3 to the f30
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 10:10 AM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
There are definitely chassis/subframe differences and how they mount. Also things like different wheel hubs (rotors aren't interchangeable between F80/30, but calipers are).

If you're interested in parting it out, I might be interested in a couple of items.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #5
Johnny250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon

this guy sounds like he's on a mission.. i'd like to see you swap all of that into a F31 wagon instead.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #6
listed5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny250 View Post
this guy sounds like he's on a mission.. i'd like to see you swap all of that into a F31 wagon instead.
As would I! haven't seen one under 25k though :/
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 12:39 PM   #7
listed5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
There are definitely chassis/subframe differences and how they mount. Also things like different wheel hubs (rotors aren't interchangeable between F80/30, but calipers are).

If you're interested in parting it out, I might be interested in a couple of items.
The hub/rotor comment is obsolete as I would be transferring the entire suspension and hub assemblies over from the f80. I'm legitimately talking total strip down and parts swap. Every removable component. lights, gas tank, subframes, differentials, wiring harnesses, carpet, etc... I would only be interested in a part out if there were several buyers lined up for large items.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #8
jv004
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

If you're talking about EVERY single component.. I doubt it's feasible. F80s are wider, allot of the components might be a tad too big for the f30 chassis. I know the exterior body is doable and I've seen engine swaps. If you're up to tackle that BIG job of swapping everything at the risk of finding out it wont work, go for it. Much respect if you actually accomplish it.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 02:30 PM   #9
listed5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv004 View Post
If you're talking about EVERY single component.. I doubt it's feasible. F80s are wider, allot of the components might be a tad too big for the f30 chassis. I know the exterior body is doable and I've seen engine swaps. If you're up to tackle that BIG job of swapping everything at the risk of finding out it wont work, go for it. Much respect if you actually accomplish it.
thanks a lot! in the market for a high mileage or blown motor F30, preferably metallic gray and M-sport (so I don't have to repaint my front end panels). please let me know if you hear of anything! I'm on the east coast. Presently looking at a very clean and strong running 2013 328i xdrive, but would hate to dismantle such a perfect car.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 09:52 PM   #10
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by listed5 View Post
thanks a lot! in the market for a high mileage or blown motor F30, preferably metallic gray and M-sport (so I don't have to repaint my front end panels). please let me know if you hear of anything! I'm on the east coast. Presently looking at a very clean and strong running 2013 328i xdrive, but would hate to dismantle such a perfect car.
I’ve seen this before. Stop me when I’m wrong.

You purchased a totalled m3 with no inspection and the sellers disguised the real damage. So you are looking to save money and put on F30 frame.

Bad idea.

You’ll lose even more value in what was a mistake to begin with.

Bottom line. Bad idea to buy salvage at auction unless you have a good deal of experience on how not to get scammed.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 02:17 AM   #11
listed5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
I've seen this before. Stop me when I'm wrong.

You purchased a totalled m3 with no inspection and the sellers disguised the real damage. So you are looking to save money and put on F30 frame.

Bad idea.

You'll lose even more value in what was a mistake to begin with.

Bottom line. Bad idea to buy salvage at auction unless you have a good deal of experience on how not to get scammed.
you are correct sir! damage was fully disguised. I'm at a loss as to what I should do at this point. to repair the frame I have is between 5 and 10k, and may never drive correctly again. No one is interested in the expensive parts, and I'm tired of storing the car. Do I just take the 25k loss and throw the whole car away? pay up to 10k to repair the frame? or pay 10k for a full on car that I could part out and swap my drivetrain, etc. over to? I'm at a loss
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 07:10 AM   #12
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Personally I'd take the loss. It would be a nightmare to swap. There are a few people on here that have done f8x builds on their f3x and they talk about all of the issues they had to overcome and it takes months and months. The body work in the rear will be the biggest hit because while your front fascia is removable the rear is welded.

The best option if you're willing to store it for longer is buy another used F8x, swap your upgrades onto it, and then part out the remaining stock parts that are in good condition. I've done that with other cars in the past. But if you buy a 320i and swap everything over then all you'll have then is a pile of parts that's worth even less than the F8x parts.

I do see what you're talking about on realoem though. I can't find many differences in the base that would indicate the F30 is missing holes that you'd need for routing stuff or attachment points for accessories.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 1
listed584.50
      07-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #13
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you are correct sir! damage was fully disguised. I'm at a loss as to what I should do at this point. to repair the frame I have is between 5 and 10k, and may never drive correctly again. No one is interested in the expensive parts, and I'm tired of storing the car. Do I just take the 25k loss and throw the whole car away? pay up to 10k to repair the frame? or pay 10k for a full on car that I could part out and swap my drivetrain, etc. over to? I'm at a loss
I am sure the car could be parted out or repaired.

Better than throwing $25k away as you would get some back.

Making a Frankenstien F30, bad idea. You’d lose whatever value you had in it as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 10:01 AM   #14
listed5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I am sure the car could be parted out or repaired.

Better than throwing $25k away as you would get some back.

Making a Frankenstien F30, bad idea. You’d lose whatever value you had in it as well.
perhaps; but it would be a lot of fun along the way
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 05:29 AM   #15
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

I was briefly considering the opposite to improve my f30, differences are so numerous that it isn't worthwhile;

Subframes are different, suspension arms and dampers are different in size, and in electronics as well; i believe f8x has adaptive dampers, so it wouldn't connect.

Then the diff doesn't attach the same way at all, and the f80 is electronic diff so you can't just put a passive diff in place.

Then the wheels wouldn't fit without the body parts with wider arches, etc etc.

Fun if you have very deep pockets, for mere mortals a nightmare...
      07-24-2018, 12:25 AM   #16
listed5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
I was briefly considering the opposite to improve my f30, differences are so numerous that it isn't worthwhile;

Subframes are different, suspension arms and dampers are different in size, and in electronics as well; i believe f8x has adaptive dampers, so it wouldn't connect.

Then the diff doesn't attach the same way at all, and the f80 is electronic diff so you can't just put a passive diff in place.

Then the wheels wouldn't fit without the body parts with wider arches, etc etc.

Fun if you have very deep pockets, for mere mortals a nightmare...
I think you're missing the point here; I have an entire f80 with irreparable frame damage, so I have all of the subframes, diff, drivetrain, electronics, etc. at my disposal to transfer over. I have 275s on my 335 with a more aggressive offset wheel and they don't rub. The factory 437 with M3 diff should be fine!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 02:03 AM   #17
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think you're missing the point here; I have an entire f80 with irreparable frame damage, so I have all of the subframes, diff, drivetrain, electronics, etc. at my disposal to transfer over. I have 275s on my 335 with a more aggressive offset wheel and they don't rub. The factory 437 with M3 diff should be fine!
The responses are unanimous.

It’s clear you already made up your mind, probably prior to even posting.

So we’ll leave you to this money pit.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 02:29 AM   #18
listed5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The responses are unanimous.

It’s clear you already made up your mind, probably prior to even posting.

So we’ll leave you to this money pit.
Exactly! There has been minimal interest in my part out offerings, and if the drivetrain doesn't sell, I'll have to do something with it. Unless someone has proven the swap impossible, I might as well try
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 02:35 PM   #19
Johnny250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon

Quote:
Exactly! There has been minimal interest in my part out offerings, and if the drivetrain doesn't sell, I'll have to do something with it. Unless someone has proven the swap impossible, I might as well try
PLEASE document the swap.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 06:59 PM   #20
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny250 View Post
PLEASE document the swap.
Will NEVER be completed.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 11:33 PM   #21
TEST DRYVER
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Will NEVER be completed.
You've never done anything you knew was a bad idea before diving in? I know I have... Here's my perspective: this is not a great idea, simply based on dollars and cents. No matter how much you build up an F30, it's still an F30. Which means depreciation. Add that to a FrankenMF30, and you have a car that really would only be worth something to a handful of people across the country.
But none of that is relevant here, he knows financially it's a bad idea, but he seems to want to try and see if it can be done. His greatest concern is: Is it impossible.
I guess with enough time, effort, and money, nearly nothing is impossible. Especially what you're attempting to do. IK6SPEED believes you're going to abandon the project for one of the many reasons and obstacles you're going to certainty run into.
I think you've made up your mind, I just ask to keep us posted, because this definitely sounds interesting.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 01:44 AM   #22
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
This is a huge undertaking to save $25k. First, take the car to carmax and see what they will give you. They sell to dealer options and some buyers have the resources to sell for parts. Depending on the car, even salvaged cars could go for a surprising amount of money. Doesn't hurt to try. If not, then sell the engine, wheels, tranny etc. The wheels might go from $500 each, so there's $2k back.

Then go sell your F30 and get a CPO F80 and enjoy a level of engineering that you will never be able to achieve with your ambitiously time consuming and expensive swap.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0