F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Y-Adapter for CANbus
Extreme Powerhouse

08-29-2016, 08:49 AM   #1
russellg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Y-Adapter for CANbus

Is anyone aware of a Y-Adapter for the BMW that allows you to tap into CAN High and Low without cutting/splicing/soldering or stripping the insulation on the existing H & L wires?

I’m aware of the wire free type clips that allow you to read CAN messages (i.e for retrofit of PDC for example), but I’m looking for something with two way communication.

I want to tap into the CANbus but I don’t want to leave any trace, that also includes stripping of the insulation for a wire tap.

If there is not a commercially available adapter I will look to make one myself, with a male and female connector (or just the pins) for a module with CAN input/output (like FEM/REM/Trailer module etc)
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 06:05 AM   #2
Funkier
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 316i + F54 Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellg
Is anyone aware of a Y-Adapter for the BMW that allows you to tap into CAN High and Low without cutting/splicing/soldering or stripping the insulation on the existing H & L wires?

I’m aware of the wire free type clips that allow you to read CAN messages (i.e for retrofit of PDC for example), but I’m looking for something with two way communication.

I want to tap into the CANbus but I don’t want to leave any trace, that also includes stripping of the insulation for a wire tap.

If there is not a commercially available adapter I will look to make one myself, with a male and female connector (or just the pins) for a module with CAN input/output (like FEM/REM/Trailer module etc)
hi,

you mentioned that there are wire free clips for read only applications. would you please share a link on ebay?
Appreciate 0