F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > XCarLink Video Multimedia Interface SKU148401
GetBMWParts

11-07-2016, 09:42 PM   #1
jcartagena
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 320i

XCarLink Video Multimedia Interface SKU148401

I am interested in purchasing a multimedia interface for my 2016 F30. I will be adding a front and back up camera and also a screen mirroring device.

Is there anyone who has installed/worked with this unit who can give a review of it (SKU148401)?

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.ph...2&cat=0&page=3
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 07:25 PM   #2
Derrymilk
Occasional Lurker
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition

Interested to hear any info on these products to

Gone: F36 420D M Sport, F30 Tanzanite M-sport, E90 lci Bluewater M-sport, E90 Le mans M-sport, E46 lci 320d SE Topaz blue, E36 318d Compact Montreal blue, E36 318d Compact Titan silver
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 04:37 AM   #3
6times7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

I have fitted the SKU402 to my F31, which is the version without HDMI.

Kit arrived from UK distributors in a timely manner with all parts as described.

Fitting the head unit was less of a ballache than expected. The car comes apart fairly easily once you take the plunge. Trim removal tools and appropriate torx bits are obviously required.

All the info you need is in the instructions, but make sure you read them through and get your head round them before starting. They do need a bit of interpretation at times.

The hardest part with fitting is finding space for the P&P harness, it took some time and persuasion to get all the parts into a place that allowed re-fitting of NBT Head Unit.

The unit worked as expected. Rear view is selected on reverse, the steering lines are generated by the head unit, not from the camera. AV inputs are selected from the I-drive controls.

I've found the unit setup from idrive a bit sketchy, the unit sees false inputs and jumps around a bit. It also still makes the selection on the idrive "behind", so when you've finished you may need to clean up some idrive options. Hasn't really been an issue though.

I used an AV out function on my dashcam for the rear view camera, and intend to have a splitter cam (inspired by Symbol-formerly Mr Helmut, see HERE) for the front input. There was reference to a "front camera power out" in the instructions, which would be really useful, but there doesn't appear to be one on this unit.

All in all, does what it claims, but don't expect OEM levels of functionality.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 08:57 AM   #4
Derrymilk
Occasional Lurker
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6times7 View Post
I have fitted the SKU402 to my F31, which is the version without HDMI.

Kit arrived from UK distributors in a timely manner with all parts as described.

Fitting the head unit was less of a ballache than expected. The car comes apart fairly easily once you take the plunge. Trim removal tools and appropriate torx bits are obviously required.

All the info you need is in the instructions, but make sure you read them through and get your head round them before starting. They do need a bit of interpretation at times.

The hardest part with fitting is finding space for the P&P harness, it took some time and persuasion to get all the parts into a place that allowed re-fitting of NBT Head Unit.

The unit worked as expected. Rear view is selected on reverse, the steering lines are generated by the head unit, not from the camera. AV inputs are selected from the I-drive controls.

I've found the unit setup from idrive a bit sketchy, the unit sees false inputs and jumps around a bit. It also still makes the selection on the idrive "behind", so when you've finished you may need to clean up some idrive options. Hasn't really been an issue though.

I used an AV out function on my dashcam for the rear view camera, and intend to have a splitter cam (inspired by Symbol-formerly Mr Helmut, see HERE) for the front input. There was reference to a "front camera power out" in the instructions, which would be really useful, but there doesn't appear to be one on this unit.

All in all, does what it claims, but don't expect OEM levels of functionality.
Thanks for this
Am interested in the HDMI version, am will probably add to it over time

Gone: F36 420D M Sport, F30 Tanzanite M-sport, E90 lci Bluewater M-sport, E90 Le mans M-sport, E46 lci 320d SE Topaz blue, E36 318d Compact Montreal blue, E36 318d Compact Titan silver
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
6times7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

No worries. After I've got the front cam up and running I might see about getting OBD info onto the screen through AV2. I'm sure you could use a Pi or possibly an old android phone.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #6
tgmsocal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

I'm selling a brand-new never used HD MMI from BimmerTech which does everything that the XCarLink does and a bit more. See my ad in FS section (http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1377057). I'm including a MiraCast stick which will enable mirroring, as well.

Has RCA inputs for Front/Rear camera and (2) HDMI inputs! Easily could connect a Pi or android stick to it and link up the OBD like you're talking about.

-tgm
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 12:41 PM   #7
coskunhc
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D

hi,

do you remember how you've got into the settings menu? Because I'm not able to get into the setup sections no matter what I do.
Appreciate 0