F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335d Xdrive black smoke and strong exhaust smell
Extreme Powerhouse

08-31-2018, 10:23 PM   #89
Steveo.G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Performance

Garage List
2016 F30 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0nn0r91 View Post
Yes, that's the one. Didn't realise it was still up on their website, it's been removed from the other ad sites which I saw it on when I last checked.
If it turns out the dpf has been gutted but the trader is willing to put it right and there's nothing else wrong with the car would there be any harm in keeping it?
The suspension issue is not exactly an issue if it feels different because it's been lowered.... Which someone has had to spend a couple of quid on to have done.
The dealers not necessarily to have know that the dpf has been gutted so it's natural he's going to tell you everything he has thus far.
I'm just getting started on some mods to my car and I'd like to lower it similar to this car, change the one sided exhaust for a twin/quad exit and get the car RR mapped but obviously leaving the dpf in tact and switch the runflats to non runflat PS4'S.
All of this work is going to cost in excess of £2K.
So given that the car looks great and it's had a couple of quid spent on it I'd say someone has put a bit of time and money into it but made the mistake of dpf removal.
Doesn't mean the car is a bad car or a lemon as everyone is saying.
Just out of curiosity.... What make and condition are the tyres on the car? I'm going to need to spend in excess of £800 for the 20" tyres I want..... This could be a good indication of what care has went into the car.... Good tyres I'd say means an owner wouldn't skimp on spending money where the car needs it and if it's ditch finders then I maybe would question the car a little more if you get my theory with that?
      09-01-2018, 02:17 AM   #90
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo.G View Post
If it turns out the dpf has been gutted but the trader is willing to put it right and there's nothing else wrong with the car would there be any harm in keeping it?
The suspension issue is not exactly an issue if it feels different because it's been lowered.... Which someone has had to spend a couple of quid on to have done.
The dealers not necessarily to have know that the dpf has been gutted so it's natural he's going to tell you everything he has thus far.
I'm just getting started on some mods to my car and I'd like to lower it similar to this car, change the one sided exhaust for a twin/quad exit and get the car RR mapped but obviously leaving the dpf in tact and switch the runflats to non runflat PS4'S.
All of this work is going to cost in excess of £2K.
So given that the car looks great and it's had a couple of quid spent on it I'd say someone has put a bit of time and money into it but made the mistake of dpf removal.
Doesn't mean the car is a bad car or a lemon as everyone is saying.
Just out of curiosity.... What make and condition are the tyres on the car? I'm going to need to spend in excess of £800 for the 20" tyres I want..... This could be a good indication of what care has went into the car.... Good tyres I'd say means an owner wouldn't skimp on spending money where the car needs it and if it's ditch finders then I maybe would question the car a little more if you get my theory with that?
Its got pirelli p zeros on, you can see from the pics on the site.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2018, 04:50 AM   #91
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Is it just me .. but does 25k seem too much for a 335d that's over 3 years old anyway?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 07:28 AM   #92
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Is it just me .. but does 25k seem too much for a 335d that's over 3 years old anyway?
I was thinking that, they are cheaper on the bmw approved site.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 09:56 AM   #93
C0nn0r91
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335d m sport xdrive

For people asking questions,

Yes it has service history and a service pack remaining until 2020 or 50,000 miles.

The tyres were previously pirelli p zero but the rear tyres were on the legal limit when I viewed the car so the dealer got just the rear changed for the mot I presume, fronts were fine. But with the cheapest tyres he could find. Accelera phi.

There is a possibility I'll keep the car but it depends what's been done really. The springs being lowered, I don't know which ones have been used. But I definitely wouldn't recommend these ones. I've been in lowered cars, with springs or coilovers etc and none of them ride like this. The back end feels like there is no dampening at all, it springs up very quickly. Much like when the shocks have had it. You can see this when following from behind. And can feel it from the drivers seat being thrown out of it under certain dips and bumps, along with the fact it hits the front bump stops when coming off of speed bumps. And I don't take them fast.

I couldn't find any cars with this spec, in this colour or this mileage for any less unfortunately so it is a high price.

Thanks,
Connor.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #94
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

That’s fairly positive in that it has at least a BMW service history. If you like the car, give the dealer the opportunity to sort out all your issues. Seems to me, without reading the entire thread again that it’s mainly the DPF, or lack of it, plus the springs. That should be relatively easy for a dealer to sort out.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 03:28 PM   #95
Steveo.G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 F30 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0nn0r91 View Post
For people asking questions,

Yes it has service history and a service pack remaining until 2020 or 50,000 miles.

The tyres were previously pirelli p zero but the rear tyres were on the legal limit when I viewed the car so the dealer got just the rear changed for the mot I presume, fronts were fine. But with the cheapest tyres he could find. Accelera phi.

There is a possibility I'll keep the car but it depends what's been done really. The springs being lowered, I don't know which ones have been used. But I definitely wouldn't recommend these ones. I've been in lowered cars, with springs or coilovers etc and none of them ride like this. The back end feels like there is no dampening at all, it springs up very quickly. Much like when the shocks have had it. You can see this when following from behind. And can feel it from the drivers seat being thrown out of it under certain dips and bumps, along with the fact it hits the front bump stops when coming off of speed bumps. And I don't take them fast.

I couldn't find any cars with this spec, in this colour or this mileage for any less unfortunately so it is a high price.

Thanks,
Connor.
Accelera tyres are proper ditch finders! SH*TE!
Bet the things all over the place due to them alone!
I'm by no means a tyre snob but have driven a rear wheel drive car with these fitted and it didn't feel safe at all.
The fact the dealer is putting the cheapest shitty tyres on the car to pass an MOT says it all for me and I retract my previous statement that he may not even know about the emissions or wether the dpf has been gutted
      09-04-2018, 03:09 AM   #96
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325D MSport

ANy update OP?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 04:00 AM   #97
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP YMB

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo.G View Post
Accelera tyres are proper ditch finders! SH*TE!
Bet the things all over the place due to them alone!
I'm by no means a tyre snob but have driven a rear wheel drive car with these fitted and it didn't feel safe at all.
The fact the dealer is putting the cheapest shitty tyres on the car to pass an MOT says it all for me and I retract my previous statement that he may not even know about the emissions or wether the dpf has been gutted
I can't remember if the wheels were another mod to standard BMW parts but assuming the wheels are BMW any replacement tyre should be * marked runflat tyres as per BMW recommendation. Any deviation from * marked on xDrive runs a risk of transfer box failure as the circumference of the front and rear tyres will be different and possibly outside of the design tolerance... That's the official line I would use with the dealer - if you chose to ditch runflats then up to you but if a dealer is replacing them they should be keeping to BMW specs as it potentially impacts BMW warranty/extended warranty and your insurance (though appreciate in the context of the rest of the car those ships have probably sailed!)... This is not written to have a pop at those that choose to ditch rfts but is just another pop you can take at the dealer if you do want to reject the car.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2018, 04:03 AM   #98
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

I think he's got plenty of other grounds for rejection to be going on before he gets to the tyres!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 08:27 AM   #99
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
If DPF has been gutted (making it illegal to drive) would that mean insurance is invalid?

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 08:39 AM   #100
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Forum of doom. Amusing at times.

Chap gets a new car, adds a few nice pics.
Maybe 20 replies or more.

Chap gets a car with some problems. Everyone lawyers up. 100 replies guaranteed.

H2B40.00
      09-04-2018, 08:54 AM   #101
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post

Chap gets a car with some problems. Everyone lawyers up. 100 replies guaranteed.

In all fairness, the majority of the posts in this thread are from people that are desperate for this not to turn in to a "we told you so" situation for the OP.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17485.50
Quantox308.50
      09-04-2018, 08:55 AM   #102
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
Quote:

In all fairness, the majority of the posts in this thread are from people that are desperate for this not to turn in to a "we told you so" situation for the OP.
Indeed. General British public willingness to help.

09-04-2018, 09:35 AM   #103
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Yeah, did sound a bit negative but then I know how fickle insurers can be. Hoping OP gets this all happily resolved.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 10:04 AM   #104
Steveo.G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 F30 335d  [0.00]
Yeah hope any issues are put right at the cost of the dealer as it's a nice car and the OP obviously bought it because he wanted it.
Just a shame he's had to go to the bother he has to find out if it's had a dodgy MOT etc.
I think I'd be reluctant to reject a car I'd bought that I really wanted and liked because of a couple of what I would class as minor issues because they can be put right at the cost of the dealer
It's no like it's a stolen car doubled up on another set of plates or an uncrecorded accident write off or anything like that
      09-04-2018, 10:09 AM   #105
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
If DPF has been gutted (making it illegal to drive) would that mean insurance is invalid?
Yes, if the car has no valid MOT then any insurance policy is null and void!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 10:17 AM   #106
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Yes, if the car has no valid MOT then any insurance policy is null and void!
Don't think this is actually true. The car must be roadworthy eg if you had an accident caused by bald tyres that would have an impact on the claim, but not having an MOT doesn't automatically make a car unroadworthy any more a 3 month old MOT guarantees the car IS roadworthy

From the Parker's website :

Driving without a valid MOT - check your car insurance
Driving without an MOT won't always make your insurance invalid. In most instances the insurers will still pay out in full - and if your car is stolen, or damaged, the payout will usually only be reduced to reflect the value of the car without a current MOT.

However, some policies state in the small print that an MOT must be in force.

If you drive on public roads without an MOT there will be a fine if you’re caught by the police, the only exception is if you’re travelling to a pre-booked MOT test, this must be a direct route though, and to your nearest garage that provides the test.
Appreciate 1
Quantox308.50
      09-04-2018, 10:37 AM   #107
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquartch View Post
Don't think this is actually true. The car must be roadworthy eg if you had an accident caused by bald tyres that would have an impact on the claim, but not having an MOT doesn't automatically make a car unroadworthy any more a 3 month old MOT guarantees the car IS roadworthy

From the Parker's website :

Driving without a valid MOT - check your car insurance
Driving without an MOT won't always make your insurance invalid. In most instances the insurers will still pay out in full - and if your car is stolen, or damaged, the payout will usually only be reduced to reflect the value of the car without a current MOT.

However, some policies state in the small print that an MOT must be in force.

If you drive on public roads without an MOT there will be a fine if you’re caught by the police, the only exception is if you’re travelling to a pre-booked MOT test, this must be a direct route though, and to your nearest garage that provides the test.
I didn’t realise it varied between policies, I’ve definitely seen it in my policy wording before and just assumed it applied for all of them.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 02:01 PM   #108
Sullym6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not got it yet

Insurance will be void if all the modifications are not declared so that's lowered suspension, m sport decals, twin exhaust and black wheels

Sully
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 04:44 PM   #109
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Indeed. General British public willingness to help.

This. I think it's just a case of us knot wanting the OP to get taken advantage of by the seller.

It could be rectified and it may never have any further issues, but most of the replies suggest that people would be happier rejecting it and starting again (forewarned and the wiser this time with the benefit of the advice from others wanting it to turn out for the good).
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17485.50
      09-05-2018, 04:59 AM   #110
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

where is he... keeping me awake at night now not knowing the out come!!

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 0