F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Urgent Help requested
Studio RSR

08-14-2017, 10:56 AM   #1
avarma
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 bow 428xi

Angry Urgent Help requested

Hey!

I have 2014 428 xi w 58k miles, leased off of demo. After never having any mechanical issues with the car, 2 weeks ago a drivetrain malfunction notice popped up. The car was shaking, limited in it's output and making a ticking noise. I drove it the dealership closest to me. It didn't stall while driving there, just kept shaking and the steering was very tight. When I got there, the dealership mistreated me, never allowed me to meet with my service advisor and lied about having loaner vehicles available and told me to drive home slowly and come back the next day.

On my slow drive home, the car stalled out in the middle of the road and wouldn't restart. Roadside assistance had me try to force it into neutral by turning the car on and moving the shifter forward and back a series of times, but no go.

Waited 5 hours until midnight for a tow from BMW. Now the dealership is saying the car needs a brand new engine. I find that hard to believe. Anyone ever experience this drivetrain malfunction and shaking?

Desperately looking for any advice and tips to repair.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 12:05 PM   #2
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by avarma View Post
Hey!

I have 2014 428 xi w 58k miles, leased off of demo. After never having any mechanical issues with the car, 2 weeks ago a drivetrain malfunction notice popped up. The car was shaking, limited in it's output and making a ticking noise. I drove it the dealership closest to me. It didn't stall while driving there, just kept shaking and the steering was very tight. When I got there, the dealership mistreated me, never allowed me to meet with my service advisor and lied about having loaner vehicles available and told me to drive home slowly and come back the next day.

On my slow drive home, the car stalled out in the middle of the road and wouldn't restart. Roadside assistance had me try to force it into neutral by turning the car on and moving the shifter forward and back a series of times, but no go.

Waited 5 hours until midnight for a tow from BMW. Now the dealership is saying the car needs a brand new engine. I find that hard to believe. Anyone ever experience this drivetrain malfunction and shaking?

Thank you!
If you leased the car, I wouldn't worry about it unless you're saying it's out of warranty on a lease....
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 12:19 PM   #3
Diegov209
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i Xdrive

Quote:
Hey!

Thank you!
Yes sir I have but but I have a 328i f30 with mods and I experinced that shaking. ticking, drive train malf and other car went into limp mode because my chargepipe wasn't on correctly and got hecka codes like map sensor fault to ground etc... Mainly the problem I had was a big boost leak were my chargepipe and intercooler was. In your situation id say tell them to check the vacumm lines, intake, chargepipe, anything to do with air flow and tell them to check the map or maf sensors as well even the fuel rail also.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 01:33 PM   #4
Domotron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328xi M-Sport

did they actually tell you what caused the engine to fail ?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 02:26 PM   #5
avarma
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domotron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domotron View Post
They said because I missed one of the oil changes interval, the engine failed. Which seems like bs to me, but I'm not so sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 02:32 PM   #6
xroshx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i F30

Quote:
They said because I missed one of the oil changes interval, the engine failed. Which seems like bs to me, but I'm not so sure.
Well if you're not sure and you actually did miss an oil change that could be your problem. Especially if your getting oil changes every 15k miles..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 03:06 PM   #7
Domotron
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xroshx View Post
Well if you're not sure and you actually did miss an oil change that could be your problem. Especially if your getting oil changes every 15k miles..
that is true, do you know how many miles did you have on your oil change ? because if bearings go out ... youll get alot of shacking from the engine
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 04:28 PM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
They said because I missed one of the oil changes interval, the engine failed.
When an oil change is due, or any other required service for that matter, the car tells you, and it makes a point of not being ignored.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 05:39 PM   #9
avarma
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Quote:
When an oil change is due, or any other required service for that matter, the car tells you, and it makes a point of not being ignored.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Quote:

Does anyone know any mechanics in NJ that will look at this issue? Bmw is saying I need to pay 4k to get the engine replaced, while still making lease payments without a working car.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 11:24 PM   #10
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
It seems like BS that someone could miss an oil change, especially as its paid for the first 4 years under 50k miles....and the nag screens.

Clearly there are parts left out of this story.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 08:37 AM   #11
Domotron
Captain
United_States
Rep

i think we missing alot of information here... simply why is it only 4k to replace the engine that seems pretty cheap...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 10:56 AM   #12
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Seems about the right price for a timing chain...
Appreciate 0