F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Alloy wheels - exchange, sell, buy etc
ARMA SPEED

12-03-2020, 04:33 AM   #1
RosscoeP
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e 2018

Alloy wheels - exchange, sell, buy etc

Hi all,

If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it. I recently bought a 2018 330e and it has brand new BMW alloys, very nice indeed. But this i've really been wanting a certain type of alloy wheel for many years now that I would like to put on this car. What is the best way to 'change' your alloys without spending a fortune on new ones and being left with old ones? I have spoken to a couple of wheel retailers in Scotland (i'm in Edinburgh) and one managed to come back saying they had a contact who would pay £500 for them but that is surely a crazy price for perfect condition new alloys. Of course I could buy new ones and then hope to sell the old ones on Ebay or whatever. I am just wondering if anyone has experience of doing this?

Thanks in advance
Ross
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 04:38 AM   #2
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

My advice would have been to check if the dealer (assuming you purchased from BMW) had the ones you wanted on a car in stock. They usually don't mind swapping them around.

A new set will get you a decent price on here or eBay and then I'd just buy the set you want from the same place.

There's no real other way around it I can think of.

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 05:42 AM   #3
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Mark at BMautosport will take wheels in part exchange, but he's in Eastbourne.

Also, I think you might need to lower your expectations of what second hand standard wheels are worth to a trader in part exchange. They may well be genuine, and perfect, but desirability and resale potential need to be factored.....and lets face it, you want to change them because you don't like them either.
      12-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #4
RosscoeP
Rep

Thanks guys... appreciate your responses.

My expectations seem to be high I guess, but I would have expected more than a fraction of the price to get the same thing new if they are good wheels that many people would like... the only reason I don't like them is that my personal taste is very uncommon and i'm going for a very different look
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 01:53 PM   #5
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

As with anything you will always get much less part-exchanging with a trader compared to selling privately. Have a look what they are going for on eBay and consider listing on there, Facebook marketplace and on here etc.

Obviously depends on whether you can fork out for the set you want first and then have somewhere to store your old wheels whilst waiting for the right price.
      12-03-2020, 02:26 PM   #6
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 2017 335d black

If the wheels your getting rid of are 17 or 18s you could put winters on them and sell as a winter wheel set. Might make more attractive? Keep the tyres if they fit your new wheels, flog en or change your alloys when the tyres are shot.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 03:20 PM   #7
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i MPPSK.

500 does not seem bad to me, for a simple, quick, no faff deal with a retailer.
Without knowing the what model they are though, they could be 17 and not an 'in trend' model.
I'd estimate not much more than that on a private sale on here or ebay.. If the tyres are brand new though that bumps the price a fair bit.
But you have to find a buyer who is wanting that exact model, with those tyres, who's local and wanting to spend the money you're asking. Many stars and planets have to be aligned.
What wheels are you wanting to change them for ?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 05:38 AM   #8
RosscoeP
Rep

Thanks again everyone, appreciate your responses!

Indeed it is a bit tricky but it seems the only way is to get a trade in which is less for the wheels but reduced hassle. I'll have to work out whether I can afford the less hassle option, or 'afford' to try and sell them on eBay or Facebook etc

The wheels i've got are in the picture below (they're 19"), and what i'm looking to get are more unconventional probably, a lot more spokes and lighter in colour... not to everyone's liking on a BMW but it's subjective of course

(sorry not sure why the image isn't embedding into my reply)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b0b...ew?usp=sharing
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 07:26 AM   #9
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Alloy wheels - exchange, sell, buy etc

Looking at those and if they are new with decent tyres, £500 is very low in my opinion. I'd expect you'd get £750-800 on here in the classified section and maybe even a little more if the tyres are new too.

Nice car colour, I've got the same on mine!

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 08:41 AM   #10
Mustard3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

What tyres (if any) are fitted RosscoeP, and how much tread left? I prefer them to my 442M wheels, might be interested.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 08:59 AM   #11
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosscoeP View Post

Indeed it is a bit tricky but it seems the only way is to get a trade in which is less for the wheels but reduced hassle. I'll have to work out whether I can afford the less hassle option, or 'afford' to try and sell them on eBay or Facebook etc

The wheels i've got are in the picture below (they're 19"), and what i'm looking to get are more unconventional probably, a lot more spokes and lighter in colour... not to everyone's liking on a BMW but it's subjective of course

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b0buzVKrVfPkILKhdfJjPZq7wf1sHr6A/view?usp=sharing
You're welcome! Nice car BTW, mine is the same colour with the gloss black MP kit too. I may also be interested as I have a cousin in Edinburgh who may be able to collect these from you for me.

Are they in good nick, any kerbing? What tyres and tread etc? Are they staggered?
      12-04-2020, 09:18 AM   #12
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez_7 View Post
What tyres and tread etc? Are they staggered?
As they are 704M alloys and if they have come supplied from BMW for that car they would be staggered at 8x19 fronts and 8.5x19 rears with 225x40 & 255x35 x19 tyres. Same size as 442M's

Tyres would likely be runflats Bridgestone / Pirelli / goodyear.

Just my guess.
Appreciate 1
Fez_766.50
      12-04-2020, 09:59 AM   #13
Bachu1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330d m sport

RosscoeP

I have sent you a private message.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 10:02 AM   #14
dholdi2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 35d

Quote:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b0b...ew?usp=sharing
£600 waiting for you here
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 04:12 PM   #15
Animal7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

Quote:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b0buzVKrVfPkILKhdfJjPZq7wf1sHr6A/view?usp=sharing
I recently bought a near perfect set of 704s with Bridgestones at 7mm for £800. Yours are worth at least that if not a bit more if they are new.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 04:18 PM   #16
dholdi2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal7 View Post
I recently bought a near perfect set of 704s with Bridgestones at 7mm for £800. Yours are worth at least that if not a bit more if they are new.
Zip it
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 04:24 PM   #17
Animal7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholdi2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal7 View Post
Zip it
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 05:21 AM   #18
RosscoeP
Rep

Hi all,

Thanks again for everyone's input, very much appreciated. I've had a few direct message enquiries which I wasn't expecting, I was really just looking for advice and haven't even decided on what I would want quite yet. I'll do that soon though and if anyone is actually interested in the wheels (with new Pirelli run flat tyres) them message me. I think I would be looking for £1200 bearing in mind the condition of the wheels, and the type and condition of the tyres.

Thanks again everyone for your responses
Appreciate 0