F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 340i B58 Engine Squeak/Chirp - Anyone??
Studio RSR

03-10-2016, 05:39 PM   #23
2015M4inCT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Whoa, wrong differential?? How does that happen? What build week and where?. Curious. I just picked up my 6MT yesterday and acceleration seems tame compared to my 335is thus far. Of course I'm not getting on it while breaking in but I am curious about this. I assume they would have caught this at Port last week or at dealer but who knows...

I'll need to take a listen for the squeeking noise.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 08:24 PM   #24
pocky
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91

I was driving in my other car while the wife drove the 340i. I can def hear it. Oh well. Gonna wait and see if BMW will make a TSB for it. Whatever it may be.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 09:38 AM   #25
gkmunch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335is2013 View Post
What build week and where?
South Africa build, I believe week 35 of 2015.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 11:54 AM   #26
cardsdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocky View Post
I have the same noise. 340i with about 1800 miles now, been squeaking since new. I was just talking to my advisor yesterday about this. However mine is a automatic. I thought I was going crazy. I do have another annoying sound and it's the valve train. Under medium acceleration the valve train is super loud, sounds like excessive play, but who knows. Well I guess I'm not that crazy.....
Can you describe a little more what you are hearing? I don't know what a loud valve train sounds like but I have been hearing a very annoying whining/winding sound with medium acceleration. It's most pronounced after the car has been driven for 10-15 minutes in the low to mid rpm range and barely noticeable on cold starts. Is this similar to what you hear? It's a very uncharacteristic of a BMW inline 6 but since it's a new engine (have had n54 and n55 335s) I din't know how normal it was. I didn't notice it the first couple months I owned the car.
      03-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #27
pocky
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsdoc View Post
Can you describe a little more what you are hearing? I don't know what a loud valve train sounds like but I have been hearing a very annoying whining/winding sound with medium acceleration. It's most pronounced after the car has been driven for 10-15 minutes in the low to mid rpm range and barely noticeable on cold starts. Is this similar to what you hear? It's a very uncharacteristic of a BMW inline 6 but since it's a new engine (have had n54 and n55 335s) I din't know how normal it was. I didn't notice it the first couple months I owned the car.
Yeah that's exactly how it sounds like. However, the sound is ALWAYS present regardless of engine temperature for my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #28
cardsdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive Msport

Quote:
Yeah that's exactly how it sounds like. However, the sound is ALWAYS present regardless of engine temperature for my car.
Well if we are hearing the same thing it looks like you are in CA vs Cleveland for me so maybe the cold weather has to do with the warm up time needed for mine to occur. I'm bringing mine in soon to swap out my winter wheel setup so I will ask them to look into it. Post back if you figure anything out. It's driving me crazy.
      03-11-2016, 03:16 PM   #29
pocky
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I'm gonna give it some time. But for now....I would like a much louder exhaust to drown out that sound.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 02:06 PM   #30
CoenE
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW

Mine does it as well, but it doesn't really bother be. I thought it might be the timing chain, as they reversed the position to the back of the engine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #31
pocky
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Question for you guys.... My advisor was gracious enough to let me have a 340i loaner while my vehicle is in the service department. Same packaged vehicle with mine, difference is metallic paint. Infact the VIN range between the loaner and my car is about 300 units apart. Both built in South Africa.

Some observations...1st initial impression, the squeak I hear at idle; does not do it on the loaner.

Under medium acceleration, I can hear the similar ticks but it is MUCH quieter by a LONG shot.

Here is what I find different........I could actually hear the turbo spool and blow off valve on this loaner compared to my car? My car sounds like a N/A vehicle. I'm highly sensitive to noises...and this irks me the differences between these 2 cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 02:50 PM   #32
gkmunch
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Question for you guys.... My advisor was gracious enough to let me have a 340i loaner while my vehicle is in the service department. Same packaged vehicle with mine, difference is metallic paint. Infact the VIN range between the loaner and my car is about 300 units apart. Both built in South Africa.

Some observations...1st initial impression, the squeak I hear at idle; does not do it on the loaner.

Under medium acceleration, I can hear the similar ticks but it is MUCH quieter by a LONG shot.

Here is what I find different........I could actually hear the turbo spool and blow off valve on this loaner compared to my car? My car sounds like a N/A vehicle. I'm highly sensitive to noises...and this irks me the differences between these 2 cars.
I'm the same way; the fact that there is a difference between the cars means something must be up, right?

My diff is scheduled to be swapped on Monday, I'll see if they made any progress on diagnosing the source of the squeak.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 02:55 PM   #33
pocky
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

It's a possibility. I'm also a service advisor for another vehicle manufacturer, and sometimes it can be within tolerances where nothing can be done on our side. Unless it becomes a safety concern or the part will fail causing problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #34
mtx450
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have a Munich build (week 9) that is currently being held at the port for some "open campaign". Does anyone have any info on that?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #35
mtx450
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkmunch View Post
I'm the same way; the fact that there is a difference between the cars means something must be up, right?

My diff is scheduled to be swapped on Monday, I'll see if they made any progress on diagnosing the source of the squeak.
Any update on this? Just read through all of this and it's blowing my mind that the wrong differential could have been installed on your car. How does that kind of mistake even happen!?
Appreciate 1
s0ju5.00
      06-16-2016, 08:23 AM   #36
mtx450
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtx450 View Post
Any update on this? Just read through all of this and it's blowing my mind that the wrong differential could have been installed on your car. How does that kind of mistake even happen!?
Checking in again on this saga! Any updates from anyone?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 08:33 AM   #37
gkmunch
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtx450 View Post
Checking in again on this saga! Any updates from anyone?

After having the car in to the dealer a few times for the noise, I actually gave our BMW Regional Engineer a ride. Before we even got in, he knew exactly what I was talking about.

Apparently it's wastegate related. He said he's had several complaints where people are hearing it bounce off of jersey barriers, or parked cars - all from the passenger side. It only seems to happen under light throttle/boost, where the wastegate is fluctuating/regulating. Under WOT and very light throttle, it's barely noticeable. He said it's just a function of the motor and how it sounds; nothing abnormal or cause for worry. Not sure if there is a case to BMW created for it, but he was very aware of people complaining about it.

I have found since then, that the noise is intermittently louder or quieter. Luckily, it's currently been a bit quieter, just about to roll over 4k on the odometer.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 08:44 AM   #38
Xccelerate
Back in a BMW
Rep
Drives: 21 X5M Comp

I hear it isn't have this chirp on my 340 maybe it's an internal issue? Has anyone put a puma case for it?

11' 1M Coupe Valencia 6MT OEM+ 289 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 10:05 AM   #39
gkmunch
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
After having the car in to the dealer a few times for the noise, I actually gave our BMW Regional Engineer a ride. Before we even got in, he knew exactly what I was talking about.

Apparently it's wastegate related. He said he's had several complaints where people are hearing it bounce off of jersey barriers, or parked cars - all from the passenger side. It only seems to happen under light throttle/boost, where the wastegate is fluctuating/regulating. Under WOT and very light throttle, it's barely noticeable. He said it's just a function of the motor and how it sounds; nothing abnormal or cause for worry. Not sure if there is a case to BMW created for it, but he was very aware of people complaining about it.

I have found since then, that the noise is intermittently louder or quieter. Luckily, it's currently been a bit quieter, just about to roll over 4k on the odometer.

Now that temps are getting warmer, I'm driving with my windows down more often. Ugh, I forgot about this noise during the winter months. Curious if anyone else has had this chirping under load, and/or received any different answers from their dealer. Maybe I just need a Dinan axleback and midpipe to drown it out...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 12:29 PM   #40
Bav@Heart
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M-Sport

OP was there an update for this issue?

I took my 340i in for the same reason and after about 4 weeks and a visit from some head mechanic for BMW, my turbo was replaced. However, the issue is still there. I will be taking it in again, but I wanted to know if you received any resolution.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 12:32 PM   #41
gkmunch
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bav@Heart View Post
OP was there an update for this issue?

I took my 340i in for the same reason and after about 4 weeks and a visit from some head mechanic for BMW, my turbo was replaced. However, the issue is still there. I will be taking it in again, but I wanted to know if you received any resolution.

No resolution to speak of. I'm curious why our regional engineer passed it off as normal wastegate/vacuum noise, and you received a new turbo. Do you have a copy of the service invoice or the name of your 'head mechanic'? You can PM me if you want...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 08:00 AM   #42
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Quote:
2016 340i
6MT
~1100 miles

Does anyone else have a tiny squeak/chirp coming from their B58 engine bay on cold starts and under load? I plan on taking a video of this tomorrow morning, but thought I'd post here in the meantime. It's not very loud, especially with the windows up, but I know once the weather warms up and I have the windows down, it'll drive me nuts.

I can hear it on the first startup as well as bouncing off of parked cars or medians from the passenger side every time I'm on the accelerator (under light load). Back in the garage, in neutral, a few revs and it's not there while the car is stationary. Weird.

I hate taking it in for something like this because the dealer will likely say it's all all part of"normal operation", however I think I might. Unless anyone else has had the same little noise and can offer a fix!
Completely normal. Heard it on an e90 3 series, my M Perf occasionally does it. Temp definitely a factor, as all BMWs make specific weird noises prior to warming up. A cold serpentine belt could also do that noise in any car. Once warmed up, everything changes.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #43
Mdanella
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i 2016

Same Here

Hey guys new to the forum. I couldn’t help but to chime in. I recently bought a 2016 340i 6mt. I have taken it to two dealers regarding the same noise as your video. My car does the exact same thing. The sound only lasts during the cold start the goes away in about 20-30 seconds. I do not hear the noise after that time even while driving with the windows down. I thought for sure idler pulley or belt or both. The first dealership said it was normal and the second replaced the serpentine belt and pulley but the noise is still there. On further investigation on my part, I removed the stock air box as the noise seems to be more prevalent at the passenger side of the motor. I too thought maybe wastewater related, flappped open during cold start or secondary air pumps like older models were equipped with. I am still puzzled as I am currently around 43k miles. Other than the first 20-30sec start up the car runs and drives great. It could also be that my OCD has gotten the best of me. It’s quick and coming from a mk6 golf r. If there is any other light to be shed on what this could possibly be I would love any further input. Thank you guys and happy motoring.
Appreciate 0