F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Delete thread
GetBMWParts

01-27-2018, 04:11 PM   #23
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Well you mentioned your Dinan tune, if BMW won't cover it then shoot over to those guys
Hopefully it was the Dinan elite where they cover your warranty.. does Dinan tune play well with DP? I think you were taking alil risk there.. like the others said if you wanted a DP I'd have gone with JB4.
BTW you should remove the CG DP because its not legal to remove the stock DP on a functioning new car and I bet California is even more strict about that
Personally I dont think a DP gives you enough of a bump to warrant the additional risk in legality, warranty, and operationals but thats me.
At best you may have a blown gasket.. at worst you may have a crack in the block
If you didnt get any engine codes thats a good omen but I'd expect you got something..did you not notice any codes?
You gotta pray u dont have a crack and to replace the engine cause thats around 20k for a B58 I believe .. I dont have all my data in front of me but I recall its shy of 20k
BTW what octane were u runnin
Sorry this all happening to you.. keep your spirits up..at the end of the day a lesson is learnt and yer still alive and healthy
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 04:26 PM   #24
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW F30 View Post
Hey guys, this whole situation pains me but here we go....
So long story short, I was driving on the freeway on the way to work and my car started to stutter and lag and jerk and i was forced to pull over and stop the car. When I restarted the car, white smoke came from the back like crazy and things were not looking too good. The car was un-driveable After spending 1 hour on the side of the freeway, I got the car towed to a BMW dealership. This was about two weeks ago. I was hoping for the best, but this took the worst possible turn.

Between now and then, it was discovered that there was a cylinder misfire in cylinder #1 and #6. The dealer ordered all the parts necessary to fix that issue but when the parts were installed, only cylinder #6 was fixed and #1 had a permanent misfire. Now, my SA told me that I'm almost certainly going to need an engine replacement after they perform their final test, a leak down test, to determine where the issue is coming from. Once they determine that, BMW NA will have to get involved. Since I have a catted downpipe, my SA told me that the BMW engineer will do some thorough diagnostics and will almost certainly deny the warranty claim to replace my engine since the downpipe is not OEM. I never in a million years thought that a catted downpipe would cause such issues. He recommended that I get my car towed before the BMW engineer would come and that i'd have to get it fixed at an outside shop if I didn't want my warranty to get voided and if I wanted to fix it for less than an engine replacement.

I never would've thought that it would come to this point to be honest. I've never tracked my car, done any crazy mods, no meth or e85 or anything like that, no crazy tunes or racing or launches or anything. I'd say that 90% of the mods on my car are OEM M Performance mods.

On top of all of this, i've been borrowing my mother's X1 for the past week while my car has been at BMW and it just got hit and run on the freeway yesterday... You could tell im having a great start to my year

Has anyone had a similar situation to what has happened to my car? Any advice you could give me? I appreciate it
Clear Your messages!
      01-27-2018, 04:57 PM   #25
blckz06
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
Thats not the OPs concern!! That's BMWs problem.
You sound awfully confident... unfortunately Im not so sure about that. Corporate will easily take the easy way out, unless you know the right people or truly get lucky. Particularly, if they can prove that the engine had a tune on it - in this case, a Dinan piggyback that does not carry warranty.

His only option then would be to lawyer up and go to court, and that isnt going to be a cheap process that far from guarantees a successful outcome. Best of luck, OP.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 05:32 PM   #26
ceedawg
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckz06 View Post
You sound awfully confident... unfortunately Im not so sure about that. Corporate will easily take the easy way out, unless you know the right people or truly get lucky. Particularly, if they can prove that the engine had a tune on it - in this case, a Dinan piggyback that does not carry warranty.

His only option then would be to lawyer up and go to court, and that isnt going to be a cheap process that far from guarantees a successful outcome. Best of luck, OP.
How will they find the Dinan piggy back,and how does the head gasket blow by cylinders 1 and 6 with a tune is what they will have to prove. We will have to see what they come back with vs all the speculation.

Years ago I had a car with mods and started the car one day(had 34k miles) the motor threw a rod out the block. Did not even drive it. The dealer replaced the motor under warranty. Had cat back exhaust and CAI still on the car. I had removed the piggy back. Later on it was discovered that the model I had was prone to a factory defect known as crankshaft walk. It happens!
Im hoping for the best for the OP as well.
      01-27-2018, 07:09 PM   #27
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Nope, we haven't gotten to that point yet. They're doing a leak down test now to figure out where the problem is coming from and from there, they tell BMW and it 99.9% of the time results in a new engine because BMW doesn't want to risk fixing individual parts.
This is 1000% true!! White smoke loss of power means engine failure in my books. If the car over heated or missfired cyl 6 and 1 almost surely means head gasket failure or bad injector. The white smkoe can mean head gasket or sometimes even crankcase ventilation failure.
My gut tells me it's not a head gasket failure given the B58's closed deck design. It'd take quite some time for coolant to get into the cylinders for a head gasket failure but OP saw white smoke right away. Even if it did, I don't think it'd be much white smoke.

AW F30 I don't think you should worry about them "screwing you over". Being an engineer myself, I'd trust the engineer's analysis of the situation and data logs from the ECU - it's their job to find the root cause of the failure, that's all they care about. BMW NA cannot and will not ignore the engineer's findings in making their decision.

If they do deny warranty, they should give you a clear reason for it - demand to see the report, although I don't know if they'd share it with you. That's when I'd involve Dinan as a next step if possible. Unfortunately, our instincts will want to keep us guessing what happens next but all you can do now is sit tight and wait for the report.

Sorry to hear about the situation but stay persistent and I'm sure you'll get through it.
ceedawg467.50
      01-27-2018, 08:01 PM   #28
ceedawg
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
My gut tells me it's not a head gasket failure given the B58's closed deck design. It'd take quite some time for coolant to get into the cylinders for a head gasket failure but OP saw white smoke right away. Even if it did, I don't think it'd be much white smoke.

AW F30 I don't think you should worry about them "screwing you over". Being an engineer myself, I'd trust the engineer's analysis of the situation and data logs from the ECU - it's their job to find the root cause of the failure, that's all they care about. BMW NA cannot and will not ignore the engineer's findings in making their decision.

If they do deny warranty, they should give you a clear reason for it - demand to see the report, although I don't know if they'd share it with you. That's when I'd involve Dinan as a next step if possible. Unfortunately, our instincts will want to keep us guessing what happens next but all you can do now is sit tight and wait for the report.

Sorry to hear about the situation but stay persistent and I'm sure you'll get through it.
Closed deck or open deck if the head gasket is leaking she will have white smoke. Closed deck won't have anything to do with how much the head gasket is leaking per say because if that gasket is broken in the right spot she will smoke alot. So it depends on where the head gasket is damaged. Closed deck more has to do with block rigidity, which being an engineer I am sure you know.
Regardless I feel you and I are on the same page concerning BMW and their findings on this poor guys issue.
      01-27-2018, 08:16 PM   #29
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a lot man. I don't think i have a reason to contact Dinan though since the tune I had wasn't the warranted one...
Maybe you can do a claim through your car insurance, not sure if it covers damage from mods though. Maybe if you broke down and someone rear ended you intentionally lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 08:31 PM   #30
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Closed deck or open deck if the head gasket is leaking she will have white smoke. Closed deck won't have anything to do with how much the head gasket is leaking per say because if that gasket is broken in the right spot she will smoke alot. So it depends on where the head gasket is damaged. Closed deck more has to do with block rigidity, which being an engineer I am sure you know.
Regardless I feel you and I are on the same page concerning BMW and their findings on this poor guys issue.
Yes, it'd have to fail in the right spot for sure, a lot less areas where coolant can pass through between the block and head. That's why I say given the circumstances which are cylinders misfiring and white smoke right away, my gut tells me it's a cracked block or something else over a failed head gasket. But again, all of this is just speculation on my part
      01-28-2018, 04:06 AM   #31
ceedawg
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
Yes, it'd have to fail in the right spot for sure, a lot less areas where coolant can pass through between the block and head. That's why I say given the circumstances which are cylinders misfiring and white smoke right away, my gut tells me it's a cracked block or something else over a failed head gasket. But again, all of this is just speculation on my part
While anything is possible I think it would be more likely for the head gasket to blow cylinders 1 and 6 than for the block to crack for no reason. He would have antifreeze pouring out all over the place in that case.
DrifterX514.00
      01-28-2018, 05:12 AM   #32
CruzM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 "Velocity Edition"

Quote:
Quote:

How will they find the Dinan piggy back,and how does the head gasket blow by cylinders 1 and 6 with a tune is what they will have to prove. We will have to see what they come back with vs all the speculation.

Years ago I had a car with mods and started the car one day(had 34k miles) the motor threw a rod out the block. Did not even drive it. The dealer replaced the motor under warranty. Had cat back exhaust and CAI still on the car. I had removed the piggy back. Later on it was discovered that the model I had was prone to a factory defect known as crankshaft walk. It happens!
Im hoping for the best for the OP as well.
BMW put the DME together. It's there product designed by them. You really think they would have a hard time seeing if there was a tune on the vehicle. Piggyback is harder to tell then a flash tune but if they dig hard enough they will be able to tell.
2016 328i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 06:50 AM   #33
ceedawg
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz28/40 View Post
BMW put the DME together. It's there product designed by them. You really think they would have a hard time seeing if there was a tune on the vehicle. Piggyback is harder to tell then a flash tune but if they dig hard enough they will be able to tell.
A flash yes but a piggy back that does not exist no! Unless the gun is found there is no weapons charge!!] And at this point this is all speculation till we see what BMW does.
      01-28-2018, 07:46 AM   #34
insanecoder
Banned
Rep

Quote:
A flash yes but a piggy back that does not exist no! Unless the gun is found there is no weapons charge!!] And at this point this is all speculation till we see what BMW does.
Theres been instances where the field "engineer" has inspected the ECU data when expensive engine replacement was in order and warranty was denied
They are not showing their cards but they are clearly detecting piggybacks like JB4 and denying warranty when the $ is high
There is always lawyers and the court system but who has the money to risk to fight this esp when you are guilty and not sure what evidence they have in their ECU logs?

They have a hand
theyre daring you to up the ante..
your move.. u gonna call? think their bluffing on a 20k engine replacement?

I wouldnt spread false confidence regarding this topic
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      01-28-2018, 08:52 AM   #35
CruzM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 "Velocity Edition"

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
Quote:
Theres been instances where the field "engineer" has inspected the ECU data when expensive engine replacement was in order and warranty was denied
They are not showing their cards but they are clearly detecting piggybacks like JB4 and denying warranty when the $ is high
There is always lawyers and the court system but who has the money to risk to fight this esp when you are guilty and not sure what evidence they have in their ECU logs?

They have a hand

Exactly!
2016 328i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 11:16 AM   #36
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz28/40 View Post
Exactly!
That engineer gets his checks signed by BMW. He works for BMW. It's in his best interest to help BMW.

That's like you asking your company HR to help you against the company. No. Your HR works for the company, not you lol.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      01-28-2018, 12:07 PM   #37
blckz06
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post

They have a hand

Exactly spot on. The downpipe alone provides them an easy out.

The whole thing about them having to prove the the part caused a failure is a moot point. You got 10-15k to even start the legal process by engaging attorney, hiring independent parties to do due diligence and issue independent reports etc. Bmw has got full legal departments to deal with precisely these types of cases.

His only shot is for a 'goodwill' warranty, where they cover it due to him being a good customer / in spite of being able to deny coverage.
Appreciate 1
Beek707.00
      01-28-2018, 12:39 PM   #38
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep

Quote:

The whole thing about them having to prove the the part caused a failure is a moot point. You got 10-15k to even start the legal process by engaging attorney, hiring independent parties to do due diligence and issue independent reports etc. Bmw has got full legal departments to deal with precisely these types of cases.

His only shot is for a 'goodwill' warranty, where they cover it due to him being a good customer / in spite of being able to deny coverage.
He can get lemon lawyer for free since he below 20k and I'm sure before 2 years
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 03:47 PM   #39
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Quote:

I spent thirteen years working for a Volvo dealer and IMO this post is, as it begins, "Exactly spot on"! Free lemon lawyer or not the Manufacturer has all the power, money and time, meanwhile OP is driving his Mothers X1. Nice of her to do that but at some point I'm guessing she'll need it back.

Last edited by Beek; 01-28-2018 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 04:07 PM   #40
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Quote:
Nope, we haven't gotten to that point yet. They're doing a leak down test now to figure out where the problem is coming from and from there, they tell BMW and it 99.9% of the time results in a new engine because BMW doesn't want to risk fixing individual parts.
Very sorry you're in this pickle, if the worst happen's and BMW denies your warranty claim rather than a factory long block if it were me I'd be at least considering a used B58 from a crashed car, got to be some out there somewhere and for a lot less money than a new motor from BMW.

Hope you get good news soon, good luck!
DG20966.50
      01-28-2018, 06:08 PM   #41
insanecoder
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thank you! My SA told me that it was not completely necessary to replace the engine but BMW decides to do so rather than replacing individual parts for whatever reason... if they deny the engine replacement then I'll probably get those parts replaced at an independent shop and hope for the best.
I think your SA is exaggerating alil and is just nicely telling you to hit the road and find an indy and forget about the warranty
BMW service does do engine work.. they dont replace the engine unless its major.. thats a joke.. they dont replace a 20k part unless the servicing costs approach some % of that which indicates major complex issue not worth the time-work
either way it'd be nice if they at least tell you exactly what they found was wrong with it to let the indy know.. they kind of owe that to you anyway if they are denying warranty

pray for goodwill warranty like beek said.. be real nice and ask for mercy.. admit little but be real nice
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 11:07 AM   #42
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Some of you are way too confident. How a situation *should* work in your head rarely matches how it actually works in this sort of scenario, especially when dealing with a major company.

If OP gets lucky, good for him. But any field engineer can call a non-oem component of your car a cause for voiding your warranty. And not only is it not oem, but it's an illegal component. It doesn't matter how common the mod is or how many people get away with it. BMWs responsibility is not to prove what mods work on your car. They gave you a factory warranty on factory parts. If you change that, even with an aftermarket intake, then they cannot guarantee the integrity of your car.

I've said this in other threads and I get bashed for it, but I just don't trust tuning these cars yet. Operating at 14+ AFR in boost on the brink of throttle closures with piggy back tunes does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. It's too easy for something to go wrong, and I'd rather have a safe setup that doesn't rely on the car's ecu to save me if I do hit a limit.

OP, I do wish you luck because the situation sucks, but chances are that all that fighting will leave you without a car for weeks, and then still not have a warranty after it's all said and done. If they let you swap parts before the field engineer arrives, I'd jump all over that.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 11:16 AM   #43
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

AW F30 - Has your car had a history of loosing coolant?
      01-29-2018, 11:20 AM   #44
elicausi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i M Sport

kern417 - what about Dinan elite?
Appreciate 0