F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 19x9.5 Square Setup on F30 X Drive NEED HELP!
GetBMWParts

08-30-2018, 04:34 PM   #23
bqik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Congrats! Hope you enjoy your mods!
To wet your appetite, here are some photos of the H&R front and rear sway bars. Black bars in photo are the stock sway bars from 2015 335ix that were replaced. Stock bars were light as a feather, almost felt hollow. H&R bars are absolutely heavy & solid. Car corners totally flat now!!!
do you recommend doing it?

I am on B16

I have done it in all my cars but it is a nightmare in a F32.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 04:47 PM   #24
KushPatel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Congrats! Hope you enjoy your mods!
To wet your appetite, here are some photos of the H&R front and rear sway bars. Black bars in photo are the stock sway bars from 2015 335ix that were replaced. Stock bars were light as a feather, almost felt hollow. H&R bars are absolutely heavy & solid. Car corners totally flat now!!!
Now I just want them anyway because of no body roll!

Do you know how much an average shop would charge for labor having these installed on an F30?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 06:14 PM   #25
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bqik View Post
do you recommend doing it?

I am on B16

I have done it in all my cars but it is a nightmare in a F32.

thanks
Do you mean that you have Bilstein B16 coilovers? I always think that sway bars are great additions to get rid of body roll. The issue is the labor in these models which can cost more than the parts.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 06:34 PM   #26
KushPatel
Private
Rep

Results are in! The car turned out great. Absolutely no rubbing at all and offset is barely aggressive, with the wheels sticking out maybe 2-3mm.

For anybody who's thinking about doing this or is interested in the specs:

19x9.5 ET35 Squared
&
255/35/R19

H&R Sports Springs

And yes, I know I'm missing center caps haha. They forgot to send them to me and have since shipped them out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
      08-30-2018, 06:34 PM   #27
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KushPatel View Post
Now I just want them anyway because of no body roll!

Do you know how much an average shop would charge for labor having these installed on an F30?
I don't know that you will find an average price so to speak. I found that there weren't many shops who had ever installed sway bars on an F30. My local dealer happens to install a lot of Dinan parts so they certainly have the experience but their prices were outrageous. I think that they wanted like $1,100 in just labor to install the front and rear bars. Some shops didn't know how to price it since they had never done bars before.

The only real install guide that I found was on the Dinan website. But it wasn't really accurate. I was leaning toward the Dinan bars at first. They market the front bar as having three adjustment holes. But in talking to a Dinan tech he admitted that the F30 setting is the outermost hole and that the other holes are so they can sell the same bar to be used on other models. I also liked the solid H&R German made bars which I had used before. Really high quality and cost less than Dinan.

I watched mine get installed on a lift. It would be an absolute bear to attempt it on jack stands no matter how high they are set. The front bar actually bolts to the top of the lower frame member. So that gets taken out and dropped to the ground. The stock bar is unbolted and the new bar bolted on. Dinan instructions show some crazy thing where the bar gets pulled out from the side. None of us who were at the install could figure out how that could even be possible.

The stock rear bar did end up being maneuvered out the side but only after a lot of things had been removed including the entire exhaust system. The shocks and springs were being done at the same time so a lot of things came off at the time.

I talked to a lot of people and called various shops trying to find someone experienced who would do it for a reasonable price. I was willing to drive 2-3 hours for the right installer. I ended up getting a tip from someone on the forum that I bought some used parts from who pointed me to a tech who had done work for him. My advice is to take the time to find the right installer with experience with the F30. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 08:10 PM   #28
KushPatel
Private
Rep

Quote:
I don't know that you will find an average price so to speak. I found that there weren't many shops who had ever installed sway bars on an F30. My local dealer happens to install a lot of Dinan parts so they certainly have the experience but their prices were outrageous. I think that they wanted like $1,100 in just labor to install the front and rear bars. Some shops didn't know how to price it since they had never done bars before.

The only real install guide that I found was on the Dinan website. But it wasn't really accurate. I was leaning toward the Dinan bars at first. They market the front bar as having three adjustment holes. But in talking to a Dinan tech he admitted that the F30 setting is the outermost hole and that the other holes are so they can sell the same bar to be used on other models. I also liked the solid H&R German made bars which I had used before. Really high quality and cost less than Dinan.

I watched mine get installed on a lift. It would be an absolute bear to attempt it on jack stands no matter how high they are set. The front bar actually bolts to the top of the lower frame member. So that gets taken out and dropped to the ground. The stock bar is unbolted and the new bar bolted on. Dinan instructions show some crazy thing where the bar gets pulled out from the side. None of us who were at the install could figure out how that could even be possible.

The stock rear bar did end up being maneuvered out the side but only after a lot of things had been removed including the entire exhaust system. The shocks and springs were being done at the same time so a lot of things came off at the time.

I talked to a lot of people and called various shops trying to find someone experienced who would do it for a reasonable price. I was willing to drive 2-3 hours for the right installer. I ended up getting a tip from someone on the forum that I bought some used parts from who pointed me to a tech who had done work for him. My advice is to take the time to find the right installer with experience with the F30. Hope this helps.
Ahh gotcha. In that case, I’m only going to get the sway bars if I have to. Gonna try to avoid the PITA.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 09:51 PM   #29
Alpine-F80
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Quote:

Ahh gotcha. In that case, I'm only going to get the sway bars if I have to. Gonna try to avoid the PITA.
Sway bars aren't at all related to fitting 9.5" wheels up front, or anywhere for that matter. Not sure why they were brought up tbh, you never mentioned anything about building a track car :

Also new struts aren't required, just encouraged as the shorter aftermarket springs will wear out the stock one's resulting in a harsher ride.

Car looks great though man, I'm considering the same! (I'm on Dinan springs though)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 06:38 PM   #30
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
That setup looks good! After running it for a few months, have you had any rubbing at all?
      02-14-2019, 06:01 AM   #31
martinskovenboe
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 2012

Quote:
Results are in! The car turned out great. Absolutely no rubbing at all and offset is barely aggressive, with the wheels sticking out maybe 2-3mm.

19x9.5 ET35 Squared
&
255/35/R19

H&R Sports Springs

And yes, I know I'm missing center caps haha. They forgot to send them to me and have since shipped them out.

Hey man it looks great!
Im concidering 9,5 19" all way around as well since i also got a nice offer on 9,5 19" eet 35
What tires did you use to make sure that there was no rub at all?
My car is stock so i just want to make sure that it will fit, because there is a 4 hour drive to pick them up - need to make sure its worth the effort
Right now the rims have 245/40 tires because the rims were mounted on bmw f11

Best regards Martin
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #32
daniel.d.tran
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Fitment help

Quote:

19x9.5 ET35 Squared
&
255/35/R19

H&R Sports Springs

Hey man I wanted to run 18x9 et30 which is roughly the same as yours at 19x9.5 et 35. Any rubbing issues up front? And no camber plates needed?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #33
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

I picked up a set of the arc8s 18x9 et30 to see what happened .. and they poke. 255 35 18

Every day I flip flop on what I am going to do with them. I could add camber plates and try to dial it in .. but a) I physically don't want to do all that work (again) and jack the car up 15 times b) I don't want noisy plates been there done that c) I am going to have to lower the front even more which I can't really do without risk of destroying the car. I'm leaning towards just selling them off and relenting .. lesser astetics but a better daily driver.

The flat face 18x8.5 et38 with 245 40 18 fit much better. No poke no camber needed. A 5mm spacer up front is perfect. A 12mm spacer on the rear pokes, a 10 or 8mm in the rear is needed but apparently you have to grind the hub to use a 10mm in the rear. I am probably going to do that. I really wish apex would make an et34 ish concave set that fit the f30.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2019, 11:05 PM   #34
SoCalCarGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440ix cpe + 2018 x4 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
I picked up a set of the arc8s 18x9 et30 to see what happened .. and they poke. 255 35 18

Every day I flip flop on what I am going to do with them. I could add camber plates and try to dial it in .. but a) I physically don't want to do all that work (again) and jack the car up 15 times b) I don't want noisy plates been there done that c) I am going to have to lower the front even more which I can't really do without risk of destroying the car. I'm leaning towards just selling them off and relenting .. lesser astetics but a better daily driver.

The flat face 18x8.5 et38 with 245 40 18 fit much better. No poke no camber needed. A 5mm spacer up front is perfect. A 12mm spacer on the rear pokes, a 10 or 8mm in the rear is needed but apparently you have to grind the hub to use a 10mm in the rear. I am probably going to do that. I really wish apex would make an et34 ish concave set that fit the f30.
Check out the kmac camber bushings
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 12:20 AM   #35
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep

I read about those, I think it was a no go for AWD as it effectively extends the lower arm and quickly ruins the axle. Like the F80 arms AWD can't use. With the plates the top gets pulled inwards while the bottom and hub stay mostly in the same position.

There are also OEM replacement knuckles that can give a bit of camber but it is probably not enough for getting such wheels to fit.

A couple people are running some new plates .. I forget the name but they are some swedish company. They sound promising but I am awaiting longer term reviews.

Either way I'm losing too much ground clearance with the smaller tires and am fairly sure I can't run this setup. I could leave the resulting wheel gap in the front but it's already halfway down there due to the bottom half of the tire. I would prefer to fix the wheel gap and then the front lip is about 3/4" lower and I can't even get out of the driveway..

19s with 255 35 would keep the ground clearance but they also would need camber in and then would likely rub .. maybe roll the fenders etc. How much do you want to give up and fight with for good looks..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 09:59 AM   #36
daniel.d.tran
Rep

Fitment help

Quote:

Do you think it will poke with 245?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #37
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep

Considering the lip of the wheel is poking out of the fenders ... Yes it would poke with 245 or even 185 tires
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #38
daniel.d.tran
Rep

Quote:
Considering the lip of the wheel is poking out of the fenders ... Yes it would poke with 245 or even 185 tires
Thanks for the quick response! Pics please if possible.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 10:36 PM   #39
Playclub
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 CS SMB Instagram:@playclubb

Quote:

19x9.5 ET35 Squared
&
255/35/R19

H&R Sports Springs

hey im looking at very similar wheels but they are 19x9.5 et40 do you think they would rub? My car is on stock M sport suspension 440i coupe xdrive. Your car looks great by the way!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 11:06 AM   #40
aps
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiKai View Post
hey im looking at very similar wheels but they are 19x9.5 et40 do you think they would rub? My car is on stock M sport suspension 440i coupe xdrive. Your car looks great by the way!
the rears will be fine, but you will need a 5mm spacer up front, otherwise you will hit your strut.

up front, +35 is really the highest offset you can go with a 9.5" wheel. theres like 1mm of clearance with the right tires.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2019, 02:39 PM   #41
cmsee17
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive

Does anyone know if 245/40/19 on 19x8.5 ET 35 Square setup with stock suspension be okay? I'm worried about rubbing.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 10:31 PM   #42
aps
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsee17 View Post
Does anyone know if 245/40/19 on 19x8.5 ET 35 Square setup with stock suspension be okay? I'm worried about rubbing.
you won't rub. that's a safe setup.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2019, 09:05 AM   #43
cmsee17
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by aps View Post
you won't rub. that's a safe setup.
What about 245/45/19?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 10:00 AM   #44
ktrvn
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 Comp

Anyone here running 19x9.5 +35 on stock m-sport suspension? Trying to see how big of a wheel gap there would be or if it'd look weird.

Edit: I know x-drive sits a lot higher then m-sport suspension, so would KushPatel's fitment be similar to m-sport suspension since he's x-drive with lowering springs?
Appreciate 0