F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dealership won't install getbmwparts.com or eBay parts!
Studio RSR

04-16-2019, 05:19 PM   #67
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
IMO the main attraction to the aftermarket intakes is the sound difference. They aren't cheap! Increasing airflow at the filter does produce a small performance increase but in that regard they are all about the same. You are paying for sound!

I wouldn't think an intake would cause a warranty issue but my experience is that the dealers kinda make their own rules with that. One dealer SA did tell me that he's seen stock plastic charge pipes break because of big aftermarket intakes that were installed touching the charge pipe below it. He thought that the weight and vibration from the intake caused the plastic charge pipe to fail. Whether they denied warranty coverage over that, I do not know.

I've got the BMW M Performance intake so no warranty issues. I've written a couple recent posts about getting that upgraded intake performance increase by upgrading to the aFe Pro Dry airfilter for about $75 and either cutting holes in your stock airbox bottom for free or buying the BMW MP airbox bottom with the big hole already in it from the factory for about $181.
Hope this helps.
Thanks man, I'll probably just change the filter and lower intake box, don't want the dealer to void my warranty because of the drilled holes which I know shouldn't do anything bad, but they always just keep looking for stupid reasons
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #68
im.beemo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
I think my SA is pissed because I didn't install the MPPK that he ordered for me when I never asked him to do so, I was only asking for the price associated with it and if they will price match
I'm pretty certain this is the case. I've purchased parts from getbmwparts.com before and my local dealer(s) have installed them for me. Everything you purchase from that website comes with an official BMW invoice (as you mentioned in your original post), which is everything your local dealer needs to install and give you warranty for the parts which you ordered. You could always try taking the exhaust to another dealership (not sure if there's one close to you or not) and asking them to install it for you. However, going to an indy shop as you already plan on doing will be much cheaper!

Anyhow, best of luck with the random unfortunate issues you've been having with the eBay BMW dealers!
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #69
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Beemo View Post
I'm pretty certain this is the case. I've purchased parts from getbmwparts.com before and my local dealer(s) have installed them for me. Everything you purchase from that website comes with an official BMW invoice (as you mentioned in your original post), which is everything your local dealer needs to install and give you warranty for the parts which you ordered. You could always try taking the exhaust to another dealership (not sure if there's one close to you or not) and asking them to install it for you. However, going to an indy shop as you already plan on doing will be much cheaper!

Anyhow, best of luck with the random unfortunate issues you've been having with the eBay BMW dealers!
Thanks man, it's getting delivered tomorrow and getting it installed this weekend. I see you have MPPK installed on your 340i, was it part of MPPSK? Did you notice any difference in performance gains? BSM looks hot! My 328 was the same color, I like the color much more than Alpine White which I have right now.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 07:36 PM   #70
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i f30 N55 ( sold)

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Dude I hate my local bmw dealership there service literally sucks. Take it to the shop. Just read reviews make sure you trust them and your good
Stock intake(had open before and was sick of noise)
BMS CP
550i 351m rims with 275/245 set up.
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2019, 04:34 PM   #71
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpriest7893 View Post
Dude I hate my local bmw dealership there service literally sucks. Take it to the shop. Just read reviews make sure you trust them and your good
They're all trying to rob us in broad daylight There's a good indy shop near me, very good reviews on Google, taking it there.

Last edited by thatBimmerBloke; 04-17-2019 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: More info
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2019, 04:38 PM   #72
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

It's here guys, I did a quick inspection and there is no damage or scratches, definitely a new exhaust. The indy shop is installing it on Tuesday
My little ginger kitty didn't want to get out of the box

Last edited by thatBimmerBloke; 04-17-2019 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: image +
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 05:52 PM   #73
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335, G01 X3, Victory Vegas

Quote:
It's here guys, I did a quick inspection and there is no damage or scratches, definitely a new exhaust. The indy shop is installing it on Tuesday
My little ginger kitty didn't want to get out of the box
Which tips did you end up going with?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 06:06 PM   #74
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHerder View Post
Which tips did you end up going with?
I bought used OEM CF tips from a user on this forum, they got scratched at the bottom when his car was getting towed. He sold it to me for $125 and the scratches aren't visible when they're installed.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2019, 06:28 PM   #75
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i

Quote:
I bought used OEM CF tips from a user on this forum, they got scratched at the bottom when his car was getting towed. He sold it to me for $125 and the scratches aren't visible when they're installed.
Let us know how that turns out.

My friend (same friend who has the MPE) got the CF tips from China, turned out they needed to be cut and welded to bolt them on.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 10:40 PM   #76
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK415 View Post
Let us know how that turns out.

My friend (same friend who has the MPE) got the CF tips from China, turned out they needed to be cut and welded to bolt them on.
I will. Hopefully no welding, the OEM tips just have some screws to put them on the exhaust pipes, they're getting delivered on Friday, I also have my black OEM tips that supposedly fit on MPE. I'll put the tips on before getting the exhaust installed.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 10:58 PM   #77
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I will. Hopefully no welding, the OEM tips just have some screws to put them on the exhaust pipes, they're getting delivered on Friday, I also have my black OEM tips that supposedly fit on MPE. I'll put the tips on before getting the exhaust installed.
Coming from personal experience, it is better to install the tips after the installation. You should test fit the tips, but the orientation may be off after you install the exhaust.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2019, 11:01 PM   #78
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Coming from personal experience, it is better to install the tips after the installation. You should test fit the tips, but the orientation may be off after you install the exhaust.
I thought they might align the exhaust accordingly if the tips were pre-installed? I also read sometimes it sags a bit and needs adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 11:18 PM   #79
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I thought they might align the exhaust accordingly if the tips were pre-installed? I also read sometimes it sags a bit and needs adjustment.
In this case, I believe there are couple points that can change the tips alignment:
  1. where the mid-pipe and axle-back connects
  2. exhaust hangers
  3. tips

You may find the tips sitting too in or out after the install, just seems to be more uncertainty if the tips are installed beforehand.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2019, 05:43 PM   #80
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In this case, I believe there are couple points that can change the tips alignment:
  1. where the mid-pipe and axle-back connects
  2. exhaust hangers
  3. tips

You may find the tips sitting too in or out after the install, just seems to be more uncertainty if the tips are installed beforehand.
I'm sure the guys at the shop know what they are doing, I'm just overthinking
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 08:56 PM   #81
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

MPE Finally Installed

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9#post24700159
Attached Images

Last edited by thatBimmerBloke; 04-24-2019 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: Separate post
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 09:39 PM   #82
im.beemo
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man, it's getting delivered tomorrow and getting it installed this weekend. I see you have MPPK installed on your 340i, was it part of MPPSK? Did you notice any difference in performance gains? BSM looks hot! My 328 was the same color, I like the color much more than Alpine White which I have right now.
Don't quote me on this as I was the first 340 at my local dealer to have the MPPSK installed I believe (installed basically right when the MPPSK was released), but for the 340/440i, you are able to get the MPE only if you want without having to get the MPPK as well. However, I don't think you are able to just get the MPPK (ECU flash) without getting the MPE as they are sold together as the MPPSK.

Basically to answer your question, the MPPK was part of the MPPSK.

I believe for you, the MPE doesn't come with an ECU flash to slightly boost performance right? I did feel a little bit of performance gains, but it was mostly noticeable from a stop and at high speeds (~100 mph+).

I actually prefer AW over BSM haha. I feel like carbon fiber is more noticeable/pops more on AW than it does on BSM!

How are you liking the MPE now that you've gotten it installed?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 09:48 PM   #83
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Don't quote me on this as I was the first 340 at my local dealer to have the MPPSK installed I believe (installed basically right when the MPPSK was released), but for the 340/440i, you are able to get the MPE only if you want without having to get the MPPK as well. However, I don't think you are able to just get the MPPK (ECU flash) without getting the MPE as they are sold together as the MPPSK.

Basically to answer your question, the MPPK was part of the MPPSK.

I believe for you, the MPE doesn't come with an ECU flash to slightly boost performance right? I did feel a little bit of performance gains, but it was mostly noticeable from a stop and at high speeds (~100 mph+).

I actually prefer AW over BSM haha. I feel like carbon fiber is more noticeable/pops more on AW than it does on BSM!

How are you liking the MPE now that you've gotten it installed?
I believe MPPSK is only available for 340/440. For 435/335 we can get just the MPPK or MPE installed separately.
I can finally hear and feel the exhaust on my car, I never heard the burbles inside the cabin before but now I can! Cold start is also much louder and overall the sound is more racier than stock sound. I like it a lot, it'll get better as it breaks in. I was thinking of getting MPPK also but $1400+$400(install) doesn't really feel right for just 35hp gain, I also read the gain isn't very noticeable. I'll get a tune down the road as right now I've about 3 years of warranty left.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 11:51 PM   #84
im.beemo
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I believe MPPSK is only available for 340/440. For 435/335 we can get just the MPPK or MPE installed separately.
I can finally hear and feel the exhaust on my car, I never heard the burbles inside the cabin before but now I can! Cold start is also much louder and overall the sound is more racier than stock sound. I like it a lot, it'll get better as it breaks in. I was thinking of getting MPPK also but $1400+$400(install) doesn't really feel right for just 35hp gain, I also read the gain isn't very noticeable. I'll get a tune down the road as right now I've about 3 years of warranty left.
If you want more performance gains you could probably purchase bootmod3. I've never used it, but I know of many people who have and they all love it. I'm also still under warranty for a bit longer, but I heard you can just flash your car back to stock before you take it into the dealer for maintenances. It just came out for the B58, so I'm going to wait some time for reviews before I try it myself. Glad you're loving the MPE!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 12:12 AM   #85
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If you want more performance gains you could probably purchase bootmod3. I've never used it, but I know of many people who have and they all love it. I'm also still under warranty for a bit longer, but I heard you can just flash your car back to stock before you take it into the dealer for maintenances. It just came out for the B58, so I'm going to wait some time for reviews before I try it myself. Glad you're loving the MPE!
And I heard they can figure it out if they really start digging 😀 at least you don't have to worry about your stock charge pipe failure, in B58 they're supposedly less prone to failure. The Indy shop owner said for newer N55 cars he hasn't seen a lot of failures as compared to older N55 cars but we never know who to believe. Sometimes I feel it's mostly the vendors exaggerating the issue to sell their stuff 😀
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 02:01 AM   #86
im.beemo
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And I heard they can figure it out if they really start digging 😀 at least you don't have to worry about your stock charge pipe failure, in B58 they're supposedly less prone to failure. The Indy shop owner said for newer N55 cars he hasn't seen a lot of failures as compared to older N55 cars but we never know who to believe. Sometimes I feel it's mostly the vendors exaggerating the issue to sell their stuff 😀
I've seen a lot of people go aftermarket to swap out their stock charge pipes (ex: VRSF charge pipe) in order to handle a higher stage tune. They could be exaggerating, but better be safe than sorry right haha.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 10:00 PM   #87
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

5 days after install
Appreciate 0