F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Vibration at high speed following new tires + 4 wheel alignment
Extreme Powerhouse

08-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #1
RoundRound
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 330e M Sport

Vibration at high speed following new tires + 4 wheel alignment

Hello people,
I'm trying to narrow down the options.

So I have a 2017 330e Msport, classic staggered 18" set up. About a week ago I made the jump from run flats (Bridgestone Potenza) to 'goflats' (Michelin PilotSport 4).

I installed them at a garage that I didn't use before but has great reputation, at the time they suggested they'll also do a 4 wheel alignment which I agreed too.

Once the tires settled (first 300 miles or so) I took the car a bit faster and notices vibrations when going faster then 70 MPH (went up to 90 I don't usually go faster). This didn't happen with the previous tires. At lower speeds I dont' notice this (what's the minimum speed to feel vibrations?)

I think the obvious culprit is a balancing weight that fell but just out of curiosity can a bad balancing caus this issue as well? I have a computer print out showing everythign in green post wheel alignment, is it possible they forgot to screw something back?

Ideas are welcome, thank you.

I attached an image of one of the wheels weights, should they be glued diagonally? Is that a potential issue?
Attached Images

Last edited by RoundRound; 08-02-2020 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 02:03 PM   #2
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

First question... is the wheels OEM? Just a thought.. could be hub centric issue

I quick WOT pull drive on an on ramp to a freeway got me to 110 mph and ease up right away... didn't feel any vibration.... so the answer for what's the minimum speed to feel vibration is NONE... you shouldn't have vibration.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 02:05 PM   #3
RoundRound
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
First question... is the wheels OEM? Just a thought.. could be hub centric issue

I quick WOT pull drive on an on ramp to a freeway got me to 110 mph and ease up right away... didn't feel any vibration.... so the answer for what's the minimum speed to feel vibration is NONE... you shouldn't have vibration.
Yes thank you, yes the wheels are stock
Also added an image to the original post

Last edited by RoundRound; 08-02-2020 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 02:14 PM   #4
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundRound View Post
Once the tires settled (first 300 miles or so) I took the car a bit faster and notices vibrations when going faster then 70 MPH (went up to 90 I don't usually go faster). This didn't happen with the previous tires. At lower speeds I dont' notice this (what's the minimum speed to feel vibrations?)

I think the obvious culprit is a balancing weight that fell but just out of curiosity can a bad balancing caus this issue as well? I have a computer print out showing everythign in green post wheel alignment, is it possible they forgot to screw something back?
imo, it is related to balancing. most tires have a yellow dot indicating where valve stem should be when tires are mounted. .

you can also get an idea of how unbalanced each wheel/tire by the amount and placement of the sticky weights. if you see strips of sticky weights all over, either the wheel, tire, or both in combination was probably not that close to start with. mine don't have too much weight but it's probably just luck.

ADDED: from your photo, that's a lot of weight. the good tire balancers would move reposition the tire so less weight is required. of course most are lazy so they'll mount it and put weights on wherever the computer tells them to. it's also balanced at speeds less than 70. any slight imbalance will increase with tire speed.

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 08-02-2020 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 04:56 PM   #5
J555
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI 340iX

Quote:
I attached an image of one of the wheels weights, should they be glued diagonally? Is that a potential issue?
No, if the wheel is balanced; this just doesn't look good (at least to me, the same are the weights not matching the wheel color/finish).

Last edited by J555; 08-02-2020 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 01:14 PM   #6
RoundRound
Private First Class
Rep

OK update,
I went to a much better place who balanced all the wheels again properly - they were all out of balance and one had a serious soft spot - literally deformed so it was replaced.

However I STILL get this vibration at high speeds! It drives me mad... What more can it be? It was fine before I replaces the tyres and went for non-run flats.

I also did an all wheel alignment at that horrible first place (who got all wheels wrongly balanced and didn't spot the deformed tyre), so it's suspect but I showed the print out to the people in the 'good place' and they said it looks fine.

Not sure what to do next? Ideas are welcome thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 02:08 PM   #7
TK335iMSPT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335ixdrive M Sport

Going through this same issue. Have had the wheels rebalanced by 3 different shops. Confirmed no bends and my wheels hub matches factory spec. 2 shops have told me all suspension components seem fine. Really don't wana take it to bmw because all they say is "well you should really be running oem wheels"
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 04:16 PM   #8
RoundRound
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK335iMSPT View Post
Going through this same issue. Have had the wheels rebalanced by 3 different shops. Confirmed no bends and my wheels hub matches factory spec. 2 shops have told me all suspension components seem fine. Really don't wana take it to bmw because all they say is "well you should really be running oem wheels"
Thanks mate, in my case I AM running OEM wheels only changed from Run Flat to go flat - but everything else is stock, honest
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 04:34 PM   #9
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

How is the condition of your brake rotors and runout? If out of spec or very slightly warped, could be reason its noticeable at higher speeds.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 05:06 PM   #10
RoundRound
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
How is the condition of your brake rotors and runout? If out of spec or very slightly warped, could be reason its noticeable at higher speeds.
Great question, it looks fine but I'll get that properly checked. Thank you.

EDIT: Although I don't have any issues when braking (no special vibrations etc) - I'll get that checked at the dealers anyway - thank you!

Last edited by RoundRound; 08-09-2020 at 04:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2020, 02:19 PM   #11
RoundRound
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks People,
I'm at a loss...

Brakes seem fine, had the wheels balanced again, one wheel seemed bent (I was shown by the garange, it wobbeles horizontally when on the balancing machine) - took it to a very reputable wheels refurbishment place, they checked it and said all wheels are straigt...

Had wheels rebalanced again, now much better still smaller vibrations at high speeds... (> 70MPH)....

What else can it be? Also how come that every tire balancing place find the previous balance wrong???
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 08:06 AM   #12
mk17
Private
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Quote:
OK update,
I went to a much better place who balanced all the wheels again properly - they were all out of balance and one had a serious soft spot - literally deformed so it was replaced.

However I STILL get this vibration at high speeds! It drives me mad... What more can it be? It was fine before I replaces the tyres and went for non-run flats.

I also did an all wheel alignment at that horrible first place (who got all wheels wrongly balanced and didn't spot the deformed tyre), so it's suspect but I showed the print out to the people in the 'good place' and they said it looks fine.

Not sure what to do next? Ideas are welcome thank you!

Given your issues and experience with "that horrible place" and that you've tried everything else. Recheck the alignment.....Just cos you have a print out that looks fine doesn't mean it is!

Get it checked again somewhere reliable. Worst or best outcome would be that it is in fact OK. If not there's your answer.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 08:13 AM   #13
RoundRound
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk17 View Post
Given your issues and experience with "that horrible place" and that you've tried everything else. Recheck the alignment.....Just cos you have a print out that looks fine doesn't mean it is!

Get it checked again somewhere reliable. Worst or best outcome would be that it is in fact OK. If not there's your answer.
Thank you, Allignment was checked (found wrong) and corrected... Still geting smaller but present vibrations...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 08:43 AM   #14
mk17
Private
Rep

What size tyres are fitted? And what stock rims are you on?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 08:48 AM   #15
J555
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI 340iX

A real mystery, one shop says bent wheel, another fine...
Quote:
Brakes seem fine
What this means, did somebody check them? Can also be a warped brake disc or heat shield (but in this case you should hear that).
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 08:50 AM   #16
RoundRound
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk17 View Post
What size tyres are fitted? And what stock rims are you on?
Thanks you,
The stock 18" Msport wheel and sizes - 225/45 R18 front & 255/40 R18 - rear.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 09:28 AM   #17
mk17
Private
Rep

How long have you had the car and where are you UK, USA or Europe?

There are at least 12 different OEM wheels for the F30. "Stock" means nothing:- https://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/bm.../all/price_asc

The reason I ask is that if you've eliminated everything else the wheels are still suspect. You said [quote]: "one wheel seemed bent (I was shown by the garange, it wobbeles horizontally when on the balancing machine) - took it to a very reputable wheels refurbishment place, they checked it and said all wheels are straigt..."

I would get it into a reputable Indy Garage or even a BMW dealership and have it test driven and given a close underside inspection.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 12:58 PM   #18
SRHosein
Private First Class
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M-sport

Where is the vibration coming from?
If under heavy acceleration, you are getting heavy vibration, check your driveshaft flex disc coupler.
It possibly has a crack.
I have BMW 330e and had to replace mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 01:26 PM   #19
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Worth asking at this point. Were the wheels balanced using RoadForce machine?
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2020, 02:45 PM   #20
RoundRound
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Worth asking at this point. Were the wheels balanced using RoadForce machine?
Yes, I think now the balancing is good, yet still vibration even if less so.

Regarding the wheels, they are 400M model, see attached photo I found online.

About the brakes, they weren't properly checked yet, but I don't get any vibrations or noise when breaking (hard or otherwise), but I will get them checked.

Re where the vibratiosn come from, it's kinda universal, the steering wheel, pedals and seat but they're kinda gentle now (although enough to drive me mad).

Thank you for all the help, I have to take the car abroad for a week or so tomorrow but when I'm back I'll probbaly take the car to BMW to check properly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 02:48 PM   #21
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

RoadForce is a special type of balancing machine made by Hunter and not every shop has it.

https://www.hunter.com/wheel-balance...d-force-elite/

I wanted to suggest that it's worth asking the shop if RoadForce machine was used to balance the wheels.

Even at high speeds, the symptoms you described should not occur.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2020, 01:52 AM   #22
RoundRound
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
RoadForce is a special type of balancing machine made by Hunter and not every shop has it.

https://www.hunter.com/wheel-balance...d-force-elite/

I wanted to suggest that it's worth asking the shop if RoadForce machine was used to balance the wheels.

Even at high speeds, the symptoms you described should not occur.
Hey there,
Thanks for the advice, I found a place with the latest Hunter road force machine and balanced the wheels there, they were all out... It did improve the situation but I still get vibratiosn at high speeds... What else can it be?

Thank you
Appreciate 0