F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Parking Light Failure (not a blown bulb)
Extreme Powerhouse

09-05-2020, 02:38 PM   #1
tristancliffe
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F31 320d Sport

Parking Light Failure (not a blown bulb)

In 2017 I bought a 62 plate 320d F31 with Halogens.
I immediately went out and bought Depo Xenons and fitted them, and they were great!

At end of 2019 I started getting Parking Light Failure on the dash, which meant that the Halos worked as DRLs, but were off then dip/main beam were active. I investigated replacement modules for the headlights, but never got round to buying them, and just put up with the message.

The time has come to sell the car, so I thought I'd refit the old headlights to make it match the build spec and get rid of the error.

But the error persists!!

Both bulbs light up when given 12V manually with a power probe. But I have ordered replacements to collect tomorrow just in case the resistance of both bulbs is too low.
Carly reports 804192 and 804192 which is a short on the parking light circuit (low resistance of the bulbs?). I can't detect a short manually with a multimeter.
I had changed the VO code in E-Sys to add 522 (Xenon code) to try and control DRL brightness when the headlights were on, and removing that and resetting the FEM to default didn't help.
I have cleared the error codes but it comes back immediately.

What else should I try or check?

Last edited by tristancliffe; 09-06-2020 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 08:01 AM   #2
tristancliffe
United Kingdom
Rep

New bulbs bought and fitted. No change.

If I take the bulb out I can measure 12.3v across the terminals. As soon as I put the bulb in the voltage drops to zero, presumably breaking down under load. Does that suggest the earth?

Resistance to earth is about 0.5 ohms, which is pretty good.
The bulb measures 2.2 ohms.

Struggling now!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 03:20 PM   #3
tristancliffe
United Kingdom
Rep

Okay, might be onto something, but haven't worked out how to achieve it, or if it's the cause.

I suspect I need to reset the max shorts counter of my FEM. So I have downloaded INPA/EDIABAS, and am currently trying to figure how to find the counters of the parking lights, and then how to reset them.

I think I have to go to

FEM_20
status_lesen
ARG: KLEMMENSTEUERUNG_KURZSCHLUSSABSCHALTUNG
and
ARG: _KLEMMENSTEUERUNG_KURZSCHLUSSABSCHALTUNG_ZAEHLER
(although I'm not sure what to do then - run job I suppose.

Then go to
steuern_routine
ARG: KLEMMENSTEUERUNG_KURZSCHLUSSABSCHALTUNG_RESET
Select String...
And then what... this is as far I've got in theory, but trying to do it in the car in the dark is driving me mad, so I'm going to wait until I can do it in the daylight.

Has anyone ever tried/managed to reset short circuit counters in the FEM of an F30, particularly of the parking lights?

My brain hurts!

(And yes, I'm writing this in an effort to help someone in the future, and to get my thoughts down in text which often helps understand a problem. I'm aware I'm having a conversation with myself )
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 11:43 AM   #4
tristancliffe
United Kingdom
Rep

I paid someone to fix it! Samy PC from a BMW Coding page on Facebook - he connected remotely, via my laptop and ethernet ODB2 cable, and reset the counter, sorted an issue with the rear window calibration, and re-programmed a module that someone had fiddled with before I owned it, as the car was looking for ride height sensors which are only on xenon cars.

Problem solved (although yet to drive the car home to be sure).
Appreciate 1
V330d25.50