F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Weird questions about my F30.
Extreme Powerhouse

01-24-2021, 11:00 PM   #1
Galip1993
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: dodge challenger srt 392

Weird questions about my F30.

After buying my f30 328i I of course started to look into mods and maintenance tips. My car currently has 62k miles and I want to change a few things before I install my Dinan stage 1 tune and eventuri induction kit. What came to mind was doing spark plugs and ignition coils and a fluid flush (Oil, oil filter, trans oil and oil filter, diff fluid etc) but when I went to my local dealer they told me to not change the trans (auto 8 speed) fluid because it may result in problems. I just wanted to clarify this with the forum to see if anybody has had problems after changing their trans fluid? I’m on the fence with the diff fluid, too. I want to know about the trans fluid change the most simply because “oil for life” seems to be a little fishey to me.

Anyway my second question is about a F8x gauge cluster install. Has anybody done this and can help me out? I looked into it but could not manage to find clear cut answers. I found a cluster but it is listed as “off f80 M3 manual trans”...which begs the question if it will work with my auto zf8 ...?

Lastly, anybody in Pittsburgh that can recommend a indie shop to me?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 05:18 AM   #2
hollovoid7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 428xi Gran Coupe

Welcome!

So, at that mileage, I would do all the things you listed. Spark plugs, coils, diffs oil change, transmission oil and pan (the filter is integrated into the pan), mechatronics sleeve (for the transmission).

But first,

Find a good independent shop that specializes in euro cars. Dealers are gonna follow the manufacturers recommendations which in the case of lifetime oil, is absolutely negligence. They say the differentials and the transfer case (if your xdrive) is lifetime too.

The thinking behind that is, the units will last longer than the warranty at an acceptable rate for them. So those policies are not in your best interest if you wish to keep the car running for a long time. BMW isn't the only one doing this unfortunately. Bottom line, fluids are never ever lifetime unless you just plan to throw the whole unit out every time.

As far as the gauge, I'm not very familiar with that aspect, but I hope the above helps.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2021, 07:49 AM   #3
RVA_F30
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

14' 335i owner here with just over 60k on the clock. Just had an independent shop do most of this - rear diff fluid, trans pan and fluid, spark plugs, and some other work. No issues with the car since. Seems to run more smoothly. Shop told me not to worry about coils unless they are giving you trouble.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 09:02 AM   #4
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galip1993 View Post
After buying my f30 328i I of course started to look into mods and maintenance tips. My car currently has 62k miles and I want to change a few things before I install my Dinan stage 1 tune and eventuri induction kit. What came to mind was doing spark plugs and ignition coils and a fluid flush (Oil, oil filter, trans oil and oil filter, diff fluid etc) but when I went to my local dealer they told me to not change the trans (auto 8 speed) fluid because it may result in problems. I just wanted to clarify this with the forum to see if anybody has had problems after changing their trans fluid? I’m on the fence with the diff fluid, too. I want to know about the trans fluid change the most simply because “oil for life” seems to be a little fishey to me.

Anyway my second question is about a F8x gauge cluster install. Has anybody done this and can help me out? I looked into it but could not manage to find clear cut answers. I found a cluster but it is listed as “off f80 M3 manual trans”...which begs the question if it will work with my auto zf8 ...?

Thanks in advance!
If you want a 6wa there is some people that will help you retrofit and sell one too you hit me up and I can put you in contact with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 02:22 PM   #5
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Your first question is best addressed in the maintenance section of the forums: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=437

There are tons of threads there about this. As for the ZF8, the guidance from ZF themselves has recently been updated from 100k km to 150k km for the pan and fluid. See attached. Of course, intervals would be shorter if you drive in extreme conditions, track the car, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ZF 8 lol-te-ml-11-en.pdf (105.1 KB, 62 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 02:31 PM   #6
Galip1993
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA_F30 View Post
14' 335i owner here with just over 60k on the clock. Just had an independent shop do most of this - rear diff fluid, trans pan and fluid, spark plugs, and some other work. No issues with the car since. Seems to run more smoothly. Shop told me not to worry about coils unless they are giving you trouble.
Was your mileage 60k when you did the trans oil, too?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 02:34 PM   #7
Galip1993
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSF3014 View Post
If you want a 6wa there is some people that will help you retrofit and sell one too you hit me up and I can put you in contact with them.
Thank you. So the F8x gauge cluster can be retrofited/coded to work with a lci f30 328i?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 07:59 PM   #8
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Quote:
Thank you. So the F8x gauge cluster can be retrofited/coded to work with a lci f30 328i?
No, he means the digital cluster.
      02-10-2021, 01:40 AM   #9
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' BMW 328i Xdrive

Did my trans fluid with Liqui Moly 1800 and pan replacement. I was at 75k km. Reason for change was that it was a bit jerky in some situations. Changing the pan and fluid made the shifts buttery smooth.

The primary issue that could arise from changing the fluid if you haven't changed it regularly and the transmission is worn, is that it doesn't shift properly with the new fluid. Now, with your mileage that is not a problem, so you shouldn't have any concerns changing the fluid.

Lifetime fluid is a non existent. I would change the pan and fluid every 75k-100k km. Thats just my opinion. I'm also going to change the fluid again, just to better rinse out the old fluid that stayed in the system when I did the fluid/pan change a few months ago. Going from jerky shifts to buttery smooth was so satisfying, I just want to keep on changing the fluid lol.