F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Stuck Headlight Dust Cover
ARMA SPEED

07-01-2022, 12:05 AM   #1
rheylew82
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i GT

Question Stuck Headlight Dust Cover

Hello everyone, I'm new here and have learned a lot from you all, so thank you!

I'm currently in the middle of swapping out my halogen H7 low beams for LEDs and as "painful" as this process is, I've successfully swapped out the driver side bulb with no problems. The passenger side is where I'm having issues - the dang dust cover will NOT come off! After close inspection, I noticed the tabs that lock into place are broken (see pic), but that doesn't explain why the cover is stuck. I feel like maybe the previous owner broke it and screwed it on wrong. I have tried prying it off with a flathead with no luck, I'm pretty sure I'm going to break it further.

Should I just chalk it as a loss and try to break it and just replace it? If so, where do I find this part? I doubt a place like AutoZone or Advanced Auto would carry this, I'm thinking I may need to contact the dealer for this part. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!! Thx
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 10:07 AM   #2
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Just twist left as hard as you can. Unless the previous owner glued it on, it should come off with enough force. If not then just break out the flat head again and cross your fingers. If it breaks there's a 0% chance you'll get the part at a place like AutoZone lol. The part # is 63117311241 and you can easily google it and order it online yourself and save a trip to the dealer. You can find part information like this using realoem.com
      07-01-2022, 10:46 AM   #3
rheylew82
Rep

Thank you kind sir, actually headed to the dealer now since they have it in stock. With July 4th weekend and shipping, I needed something immediately so I can drive because I can't be out there with one LED and one hallogen, and I'm definitely not taking that LED back out! Lol
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 12:09 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

That cover is over the high beams. There's no cover over the low beams. I got around that by creating my own 'cover'. You can see it in this post: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1377259
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 07:39 PM   #5
rheylew82
Rep

Smile

In my 2016 328i GT, the dust cover is definitely over the low beams. I was able to miraculously remove the cover after wedging a flathead screwdriver under it again..so thanks for that tip! Swapped out the passenger side low beam, DRL and fogs up next!

What is everyone's thoughts on the switchback LED fogs that cycle between white and yellow? I'm hearing some people having issues with the lights randomly getting out of sync...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 07:58 AM   #6
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheylew82 View Post
In my 2016 328i GT, the dust cover is definitely over the low beams. I was able to miraculously remove the cover after wedging a flathead screwdriver under it again..so thanks for that tip! Swapped out the passenger side low beam, DRL and fogs up next!

What is everyone's thoughts on the switchback LED fogs that cycle between white and yellow? I'm hearing some people having issues with the lights randomly getting out of sync...
Glad you got it sorted.

Not sure what you mean when you say switch back fog lights. When and how would they cycle between white and yellow? Do you mean the indicator bulbs?
      07-02-2022, 08:28 AM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In my 2016 328i GT, the dust cover is definitely over the low beams...
Odd. Mine is over the high beams. Or is that the cover that's accessed through the wheel well?
I made the decision to go with LED within weeks after taking delivery, because I couldn't see a damn thing at night, especially with just the low beams. You will change the high beams as well, because once you see how much better the lows are with LED you won't be able to live with halogens in the high beams.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 08:35 AM   #8
rheylew82
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
Glad you got it sorted.

Not sure what you mean when you say switch back fog lights. When and how would they cycle between white and yellow? Do you mean the indicator bulbs?
Switchback fogs by default are white when they first cut on, and if you quickly power cycle them, they turn yellow. I coded my fogs for "cornering lights" so this would actually be beneficial to me..

Here's a vid of them in action:
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910917.50
      07-02-2022, 08:43 AM   #9
rheylew82
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Odd. Mine is over the high beams. Or is that the cover that's accessed through the wheel well?
I made the decision to go with LED within weeks after taking delivery, because I couldn't see a damn thing at night, especially with just the low beams. You will change the high beams as well, because once you see how much better the lows are with LED you won't be able to live with halogens in the high beams.
You're right, the low beams look great and I now want to change the high beams ASAP! lol And yea it was the wheel well cover..

I just did the DRLs and they were very easy compared to the low beams, hopefully the high beams are as easy..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 08:47 AM   #10
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You're right, the low beams look great and I now want to change the high beams ASAP! lol And yea it was the wheel well cover..

I just did the DRLs and they were very easy compared to the low beams, hopefully the high beams are as easy..
The highbeams won't fit the same size bulbs as the low beams unfortunately because of the housing. You have to go with a fanless bulb and those will typically overheat and burn out sooner with prolonged use, so just be aware of that.

This is what I have for the high beams, I'd suggest finding something similar: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077D8KZLV...p_mob_ap_share
      07-02-2022, 08:51 AM   #11
rheylew82
Rep

Has anyone had inspection issues with LED bulbs in the hallogen housing? A repair shop that specializes in BMWs told me - back when I was inquiring about changing out the bulbs - that they would 100% fail me on inspection if they saw that. (I'm in VA and I assume the laws may vary by state)

So I figured I'd get my future inspections done at very basic mom and pop garages that probably wouldn't know the difference, but was curious of you guy's experiences...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 08:53 AM   #12
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Has anyone had inspection issues with LED bulbs in the hallogen housing? A repair shop that specializes in BMWs told me - back when I was inquiring about changing out the bulbs - that they would 100% fail me on inspection if they saw that. (I'm in VA and I assume the laws may vary by state)

So I figured I'd get my future inspections done at very basic mom and pop garages that probably wouldn't know the difference, but was curious of you guy's experiences...
New Jersey doesn't have state inspection (only emissions testing) so I haven't had any problems at all. I'll be moving to NoVA in the near future though so I guess I'll find out, lol.
      07-02-2022, 08:54 AM   #13
rheylew82
Rep

Quote:
The highbeams won't fit the same size bulbs as the low beams unfortunately because of the housing. You have to go with a fanless bulb and those will typically overheat and burn out sooner with prolonged use, so just be aware of that.

This is what I have for the high beams, I'd suggest finding something similar: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077D8KZLV...p_mob_ap_share
Thanks, I will look into these!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 09:34 AM   #14
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I went with fanless because fans are a known weak point. Fanless don't burn out from overheating because they're lower wattage. They're still at least twice as bright as halogens. If I was to do it today I'd use these: https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-H7-L...ef_=ast_sto_dp

Quote:
when I was inquiring about changing out the bulbs - that they would 100% fail me on inspection if they saw that. (I'm in VA and I assume the laws may vary by state)
I've never had a problem with inspections. They only test if they work or not. Your DOT says that they look at approved type, aim, and output. If someone really wants to be an A-hole they could say that the LEDs aren't OEM, so find a place where they're not A-holes for inspection.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 11:32 AM   #15
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I went with fanless because fans are a known weak point. Fanless don't burn out from overheating because they're lower wattage. They're still at least twice as bright as halogens. If I was to do it today I'd use these: https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-H7-L...ef_=ast_sto_dp
I had fanless led headlight bulbs prior to my current fan'd ones and they died after 2-3 years so I decided to try something different:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081BDCJH2...roduct_details

I'm happy with them so far. One partially died about a year in and the company replaced it for free so I can't be mad. Super bright and I don't hear the fans at all. If they die in the near future I'll replace them with the ones you linked.
      07-02-2022, 12:01 PM   #16
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

If they still exist. Those that I installed don't, and with H7 rapidly going away LED replacements for them will as well. I picked up a couple of spares just in case, which of course means that they'll last forever.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 01:30 PM   #17
rheylew82
Rep

What are some of the best LEDs you all recommend for the high beams that are available on Amazon?

https://a.co/d/eVs6wpu
These Beamtechs were mentioned, but can anyone confirm they fit in the high beam housing?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 02:03 PM   #18
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Mine have a much larger heat sink than the Beamtech, and I managed to get them to fit.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 04:15 PM   #19
rheylew82
Rep

Exclamation

So I got the above Beamtechs the other day and just tried to install them. I cannot get them to clip in, tried for over an hour, evident by all the scrape marks. Even though the shape looks completely identical, the bottom base is thicker, which is what I believe is stopping them from seating properly. And yes, I pulled the metal tabs back quite a bit to help accommodate, but no luck. I have since put the hallogen bulb back into the high beam...any advice or should I try another brand?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
KCee41.00
      07-13-2022, 10:24 AM   #20
rheylew82
Rep

I sent those Beamtechs back and purchased these and they were a much better fit, still tricky, but easier. Hopefully they last...
https://a.co/d/c1NHWcK

My LED conversion is now complete: lows, highs, DRL, and fogs. For my fogs I did go with the switchbacks and they're pretty dope.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 12:32 PM   #21
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The stop, reverse and signal bulbs are also critical. There's a significant lag with incandescent bulbs between when voltage is applied and when they illuminate. There's none with LED. That can make the difference between someone seeing you stopping or turning in time or not. The lower current draw of LED also eliminates the dreaded and all too common frying of the undersized rear lamp connectors. Brighter back ups make it easier to see with the rear view camera at night.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 08:21 PM   #22
Vernicator
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i X-drive

Quote:
So I got the above Beamtechs the other day and just tried to install them. I cannot get them to clip in, tried for over an hour, evident by all the scrape marks. Even though the shape looks completely identical, the bottom base is thicker, which is what I believe is stopping them from seating properly. And yes, I pulled the metal tabs back quite a bit to help accommodate, but no luck. I have since put the hallogen bulb back into the high beam...any advice or should I try another brand?
So it is not your dust cover that is causing you the fitment problems, it is the extended part of the LED that can't get past the plastic mounting bracket in the light assembly (pointed out below in the pic). I am having the exact same issue with new H7 LEDs I got and my plan is to shave off some of that plastic to make it fit. Anyone else have to do this mod to make the LEDs fit?

My LEDs.
Appreciate 0