F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Need ideas on how to fit a electric cutout into the stock exhaust
Extreme Powerhouse

08-10-2021, 01:42 PM   #1
xnick101
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Need ideas on how to fit a electric cutout into the stock exhaust

Hey guys, I am looking to fit an electric cutout into my stock exhaust so I can have a "muffler delete" when I want and I can close the cutout and go back to the stock exhaust. I bought a 3" electric cutout from summit racing and took it to an exhaust shop and they told me I can't use this one because it's 3" round and the only part that is straight is where the resonator is. The whole exhaust is 3" oval or just flattened 3" oval. I added a picture of where I would like to have it located. Right before the muffler. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fit this without cutting out the resonator? I feel like it will be too loud/raspy without the resonator also. If anyone has any other ideas on how I can install it, that would be helpful. Look forward to your insight.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 02:47 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Summit and some other places sell 3'' oval ones rather than round.

Alternative I'm surprised they couldnt just manipulate the round one to fit the oval shape... not really complicated fab. I would note though that if they start messing with it in that position they need to be competent to get your exhaust tips lined up properly. When i had my resonator deleted the shop was very careful to make sure the muffler was oriented correctly and tips were centered and in the correct place. It's very easy to get that wrong.

Finally, other option is just do resonator delete. Are you catless or catted DP? I run res delete + fabspeed catted DP with stock mufflers and its a nice sounding tame setup IMO. You could even look for a shorter 3'' resonator so you can fit a different resonator + cutout in place of the OEM once which is quite long.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 06:58 PM   #3
xnick101
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Summit and some other places sell 3'' oval ones rather than round.

Alternative I'm surprised they couldnt just manipulate the round one to fit the oval shape... not really complicated fab. I would note though that if they start messing with it in that position they need to be competent to get your exhaust tips lined up properly. When i had my resonator deleted the shop was very careful to make sure the muffler was oriented correctly and tips were centered and in the correct place. It's very easy to get that wrong.

Finally, other option is just do resonator delete. Are you catless or catted DP? I run res delete + fabspeed catted DP with stock mufflers and its a nice sounding tame setup IMO. You could even look for a shorter 3'' resonator so you can fit a different resonator + cutout in place of the OEM once which is quite long.

I bought this one from summit racing. I didn't find a 3" oval one. I just went and searched for 3 in oval electronic cutout and nothing came up. It seems all the cutouts are round on summitracing. But that isn't a bad idea to get a shorter resonator and also corporate the cutout there also. I have a downpipe and the rest is stock but it's too quiet for me. I like the quiet most of the time. But I want it to dump completely when I want it to be loud.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 11:34 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnick101 View Post
I bought this one from summit racing. I didn't find a 3" oval one. I just went and searched for 3 in oval electronic cutout and nothing came up. It seems all the cutouts are round on summitracing. But that isn't a bad idea to get a shorter resonator and also corporate the cutout there also. I have a downpipe and the rest is stock but it's too quiet for me. I like the quiet most of the time. But I want it to dump completely when I want it to be loud.
That's probably the easiest option (with shorter res). I also like a pretty tame exhaust and this setup does it for me. Take it with a grain of salt like all exhaust videos

Appreciate 0