F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
Studio RSR

07-03-2020, 04:25 AM   #3081
darylrese
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwaddictt View Post
I'm jail broken on iOS 13.5 and I'm able to change the wallpaper using the tweak Canvas. Thought I'd add a M Performance logo! Looks pretty neat
Cant wait for wallpapers on ios14 but i think it will be fixed few...

That looks very smart!! Love the battery percentage number too
      07-03-2020, 04:44 AM   #3082
xDHC
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dws199 View Post
Wow it looks great!
This is how waze looks:

https://i.postimg.cc/4yHwyP2S/20200703-113311.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/GLcNx1sX/20200703-113241.jpg

And Spotify:
https://i.postimg.cc/Syy0KqRy/20200703-093943.jpg
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      07-03-2020, 05:00 AM   #3083
CARR601
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d F30

Waze looks substantially better. Spotify looks like its wasting space still but no doubt that is more the Spotify apps fault rather then AA as everything else looks scaled well.

Which values in the xml have you guys been playing with specifically and what effect have they been having? Just curious more than anything.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 05:02 AM   #3084
bmwaddictt
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4 6 Spd, X6 G06 30d, G22 420i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylrese View Post
Quote:
I'm jail broken on iOS 13.5 and I'm able to change the wallpaper using the tweak Canvas. Thought I'd add a M Performance logo! Looks pretty neat
Cant wait for wallpapers on ios14 but i think it will be fixed few...

That looks very smart!! Love the battery percentage number too
Yep that battery % is another tweak! Works for my iPhone and it some how works on CarPlay too hahaha! It's called BatteryPercentageX :')

#savethemanuals
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 05:48 AM   #3085
darylrese
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yep that battery % is another tweak! Works for my iPhone and it some how works on CarPlay too hahaha! It's called BatteryPercentageX :')
Nice! I cant jailbreak mine, i need banking etc. Wish they would just do nice stuff like this in the proper ios versions, if its possible why not implement it

My andream unit is working well now. The only thing im missing is wireless charging due to the heat issue.

Is anyone wirelessly charging and not having overheating issues? If so, what setup do you have in your F30?
      07-03-2020, 05:49 AM   #3086
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaEugence View Post
Just saw your posts (answers my q above about usb connector) did you buy this part then some kind of cable to run from the second socket through to the female usb connector that comes with the box?
What's the advantage of running via wired, aside from presumably charging.
Cheers
Yes you need a usb - fakra cable, so you can connect the 2nd usb port in the armrest to the usb port on the MMI.

No advantage to using it wired, other than charging, I just did this as I don't want the MMI usb hanging down under the trim as it has been, or located in the glovebox.

This keeps it looking factory installed and you need access to the usb for software updates.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 05:50 AM   #3087
bmwaddictt
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Nice! I cant jailbreak mine, i need banking etc. Wish they would just do nice stuff like this in the proper ios versions, if its possible why not implement it

My andream unit is working well now. The only thing im missing is wireless charging due to the heat issue.

Is anyone wirelessly charging and not having overheating issues? If so, what setup do you have in your F30?
Overheating?? What do you mean? I was thinking of retrofit wireless charging to my F33 the QI wireless charger that everyone's getting. What do you think?

#savethemanuals
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 05:52 AM   #3088
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
Quote:
Just saw your posts (answers my q above about usb connector) did you buy this part then some kind of cable to run from the second socket through to the female usb connector that comes with the box?
What's the advantage of running via wired, aside from presumably charging.
Cheers
Yes you need a usb - fakra cable, so you can connect the 2nd usb port in the armrest to the usb port on the MMI.

No advantage to using it wired, other than charging, I just did this as I don't want the MMI usb hanging down under the trim as it has been, or located in the glovebox.

This keeps it looking factory installed and you need access to the usb for software updates.
Ah great thanks, the ones that's been linked from Ali is that suitable, thought I saw a post saying it didn't work or was broken?
Any difference in audio quality from using USB compared to wireless that you've noticed?
Thanks for the reply
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 05:59 AM   #3089
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Ah great thanks, the ones that's been linked from Ali is that suitable, thought I saw a post saying it didn't work or was broken?
Any difference in audio quality from using USB compared to wireless that you've noticed?
Thanks for the reply
Yes it was me that ordered 1 from Aliexpress and it didn't work (the socket that came with it was the issue, the cable itself seems ok, just a little loose in the mmi usb socket, but I bent it slightly out of shape to get it to fit a little firmer).

I have never tried using it wired, so can't comment on that.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 06:31 AM   #3090
darylrese
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Overheating?? What do you mean? I was thinking of retrofit wireless charging to my F33 the QI wireless charger that everyone's getting. What do you think?
Well, there's an issue where carplay + wireless charging = overheated iphone and the MMI grinds to a halt. Its not specific to the MMI, it happens on factory carplay and wireless chargers aswell.

I have an anker wireless charger in my arm rest, and after about a 45min drive, the carplay interface locked up and was un-usable.

I thought i might get one of the wireless chargers that goes in the front near the cup holder, but others have said don't bother as it happens with that aswell So basically carplay + wireless charging = no go for an longer trips over 40mins. Really annoying.
      07-03-2020, 07:11 AM   #3091
Bob1972
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
We don't have anything, I think the oldest software anyone on this thread had (before yourself) was 2.0.2.4 and that was pre-installed.

Have you tried force updating the later software ?
Solved.For the first the MCU version had to be updated.
Thank You
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 07:35 AM   #3092
bmwaddictt
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Well, there's an issue where carplay + wireless charging = overheated iphone and the MMI grinds to a halt. Its not specific to the MMI, it happens on factory carplay and wireless chargers aswell.

I have an anker wireless charger in my arm rest, and after about a 45min drive, the carplay interface locked up and was un-usable.

I thought i might get one of the wireless chargers that goes in the front near the cup holder, but others have said don't bother as it happens with that aswell So basically carplay + wireless charging = no go for an longer trips over 40mins. Really annoying.
WHAT!! REALLY? Even on the latest iPhone 11 Pro Max?

#savethemanuals
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 07:49 AM   #3093
dws199
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport 2014

Quote:
Did you buy a custom front camera, where did you mount/how did you route the cabling?
I bought a front camera for my F10 that clips into the grille from Aliexpress, the same one is no longer available but there are others like this that look similar

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33053361226.html

I needed a long drill bit to drill through the rubber grommet from the engine bay to the cabin to route the cable and then it was quite easy from there to route it to the MMI box. There are a few videos on Youtube that show some more detail but it was much easier than fitting the rear camera :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 08:38 AM   #3094
Bubbaspaarx
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport 2012

A couple of questions if anyone can help. I have the Andream box for an NBT system and just updated to the lasted MCU and Software versions. All seems ok but i have lost the use of the 'menu' button on the controller. was really useful for going back to the home menu on carplay.

Other questions

1. How do you get the voice command button to work only for Siri. mine still tries to use the BMW system even when I've disconnected my phone from the bluetooth. is this a dip switch setting. I'm using the same mic so kept the switch 8 to off?

2. is there any way to skip tracks or do you have to be in the 'now playing' area?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 10:29 AM   #3095
darylrese
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbaspaarx View Post
A couple of questions if anyone can help. I have the Andream box for an NBT system and just updated to the lasted MCU and Software versions. All seems ok but i have lost the use of the 'menu' button on the controller. was really useful for going back to the home menu on carplay.

Other questions

1. How do you get the voice command button to work only for Siri. mine still tries to use the BMW system even when I've disconnected my phone from the bluetooth. is this a dip switch setting. I'm using the same mic so kept the switch 8 to off?

2. is there any way to skip tracks or do you have to be in the 'now playing' area?
It has changed...you now press and hold 'back' which takes you to main menu

HOLD down the voice button for Siri. Tap it for BMW voice. No way to deactivate as its in the idrive not your phone.

You can skip tracks by using the < > arrows on the radio panel when in other apps like waze, or with the controller if you are on the spotify / now playing screen
      07-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #3096
darylrese
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
WHAT!! REALLY? Even on the latest iPhone 11 Pro Max?
No matter what iphone unfortunately, or so i have been told. Its due to the heat produced by wireless charging and car play. Both generate heat and together it crashes your phone after about 40mins.

REALLY annoying as i wanted to just drop my phone in and away i go. Now i have to keep a crappy lightening cable in the armrest for emergencies
      07-03-2020, 10:38 AM   #3097
///MToronto
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
I bought a front camera for my F10 that clips into the grille from Aliexpress, the same one is no longer available but there are others like this that look similar

I needed a long drill bit to drill through the rubber grommet from the engine bay to the cabin to route the cable and then it was quite easy from there to route it to the MMI box. There are a few videos on Youtube that show some more detail but it was much easier than fitting the rear camera :-)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3294...c5332e0eGy6Ozq

This one has a wireless option.
Has anyone tried it?
Thinking about front camera install
      07-03-2020, 10:40 AM   #3098
///MToronto
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
No matter what iphone unfortunately, or so i have been told. Its due to the heat produced by wireless charging and car play. Both generate heat and together it crashes your phone after about 40mins.

REALLY annoying as i wanted to just drop my phone in and away i go. Now i have to keep a crappy lightening cable in the armrest for emergencies
I have the same experience.
Lots of heat and battery drain while on carplay. In fact, when wired, the battery will just stay at the same percentage (not charge up)
      07-03-2020, 10:49 AM   #3099
darylrese
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MToronto View Post
I have the same experience.
Lots of heat and battery drain while on carplay. In fact, when wired, the battery will just stay at the same percentage (not charge up)
That sucks!! On my daily drive (40mins) the battery doesn’t drain too badly about 8% for that drive. I can live with it and charge on my desk at work but I wanted to keep the battery level the same ideally. Gone from wireless charging and waze on my phone with no issues to waze on CarPlay and no ability to wireless charge. I like CarPlay enough to put up with it, I just never knew about the issue before I went ahead and got the box. I discovered it when going for an hours drive it started to chug and then someone phoned me and the whole thing locked up. I thought it was the box but now I realise it was most likely my phone crashing due to the heat. After about 20 mins it was workin again. It is very common across all brands using any CarPlay and wireless charging
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 11:40 AM   #3100
Tungmeister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 330d

Garage List
Does anyone know of a unit that's definitely compatible with NBT Evo units? I've seen a few but would rather go with a tried and true unit.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 01:02 PM   #3101
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Any test results using Carplay with iOS 14?

I've always have the struggle to search for contacts using letters and take long time to do it. Are you able to see the scroll bar when you are on contacts page?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 01:02 PM   #3102
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MToronto View Post
Quote:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3294...c5332e0eGy6Ozq

This one has a wireless option.
Has anyone tried it?
Thinking about front camera install
Wireless now that's interesting... where does it get the power from do you have to splice a cable somewhere
Appreciate 0