F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
Studio RSR

02-05-2021, 07:17 AM   #6381
Statto25
Rep
Drives: F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpX View Post
3) Does the steering wheel scroll wheel (up and down) move the cursor around on android auto?

Yes this works.
Is this for NBT units only? I have the CIC one and when im in AUX I cannot use the scroll wheel
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 08:40 AM   #6382
rimsilva
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: i3 60Ah BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyokushin View Post
You need to create empty file named "recovery111#" and place it on root of your USB stick, same as "gemini.bin". Nothing more.
Just tried upgrade and downgrade, with the recovery method, but got "burn failed" again.

The files to save to USB drive should be like this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 09:22 AM   #6383
ckarv
Private
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimsilva View Post
Just tried upgrade and downgrade, with the recovery method, but got "burn failed" again.

From an earlier post, not sure if it makes a difference. I'll try the recovery111# approach today as well, upgrading from 1.1.2 -> 1.2.1. Got the burn error when attempting to do it the normal way.

Quote:
Also, in case someone finds this useful. "recovery111#" file triggers automatic update/downgrade. The steps that worked for me (which are different from what the shop told me) are:

- upload the GEMINI_PACK.BIN software image and recovery111# (empty) file onto FAT32 formatted USB drive.
- connect the USB drive to Carplay box (doesn't matter if already powered on or not).
- connect to carplay box via bluetooth/wifi.
- disconnect from bluetooth/wifi (easiest way to just disable BT and WiFi altogether)
- The box will start updating/downgrading.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=6139

And another description slightly earlier from muniz_ri:

Quote:
That's interesting. It sounds like the recovery file was somehow supposed to force flash the original GEMINI_PACK.BIN.

It may be worth trying it again. But get into your car, close all doors and lock the car until it goes to sleep and all lights turn off.

Then once all power is gone insert the flash drive with the original .BIN and the recovery file into the usb port and turn on the car. Hopefully that will trigger the force flash.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 10:02 AM   #6384
Lagik
Rep
Drives: BMW i3

I seem to be stuck on B2R112. Do not see alot of info on the B2R112 software. I managed to get an update from Roadtop but I am running into the burn error everyone is getting. @Firefly1337 Linked Below:

https://mega.nz/file/hZ4DAQRT#YJw2OU...PIIaZZLLBmsJqE
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2021, 10:38 AM   #6385
Kyokushin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 428i, F32 420i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimsilva View Post

it worked in my case
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 10:41 AM   #6386
ImpX
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statto25 View Post
Is this for NBT units only? I have the CIC one and when im in AUX I cannot use the scroll wheel
I've got NBT EVO id4.

When I am in aux, and have Android auto or Carplay on the 8,8 navi screen. I can navigate through it via the scroll wheel on Steering wheel.

It occasionally shows msg on HUD, that says something like "you cannot use scroll wheel while using aux". However in reality it operates the Android auto. - I guess the MMI for android auto intercepts these commands from wheel.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 11:29 AM   #6387
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

New update

New version B2R115 for RoadTop NBT B2-(?)Version available on the 1st page (thx Lagik).

The update is from:
Code:
created: 2020-12-22 09:55:10
It has the same changelog file included as all the other '115 updates.
Honestly I'm starting to loose track of all the different updates... not sure what their strategy is by releasing so many different updates, now even for the same hardware type and seller.
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      02-05-2021, 02:49 PM   #6388
johnerg
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 Xdrive35d X5 2015

Just updated Andream NBT to 1.2.1. I want to say that the music sounds a little bit lauder now. Haven't tested everything but hoping that wireless Carplay connection is more stable.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 03:44 PM   #6389
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
1) I meant if the touch pad would work in android auto, but I suspect it does not but if it did that would really help make the UI better.

No, it does not work

2) Does the D-pad work like on the audi's where clicking over to the right triggers voice assistant, pulling down triggers the quick launch short cuts, to the left triggers the hamburger menu (3 button extra options thing) as described here: https://www.androidcentral.com/andro...i-kinda-dig-it

No, the pull works in Android auto, that it navigates across the 3 sections of screen (left menu, middle content , right widgets)

3) Does the steering wheel scroll wheel (up and down) move the cursor around on android auto?

Yes this works.

4) Good to know

5) Good to know again, thank you

6) Does reverse work on manual cars? And does it automatically move over to the oem back up camera and sensors for either automatics and manuals?

I have 8speed auto, Oem reverse camera works automatically (it simply switches you to original UI while using camera, and back.

7) Ok not a big deal, I didn't think split screen would work with idrive.

8) I see, not a big deal

9) That's good I do not like lag

I do have a few more questions if you don't mind:

1) How is audio quality? I have heard some say it was muddy.

Tidal works great, I even have feeling that it improved since 1.2.1 (Andream B version)

2) Does automatic night mode work? Aka does it get triggered by the head light?

Reportedly works for iphone Carplay, it does not work for android AA - always a day time.

3) are there any other weird issues you have noticed so far?

Android auto - not sure about iPhone. Uses phone GPS - and drains battery. Official implementation that car manufactures do dictates to use in car GPS module.
Thank you for the answers.

BTW when the phone is plugged in via the usb to the mmi unit, does it charge the phone? if so why does android auto still drain the battery (is this when it is in wireless mode)?
      02-05-2021, 04:06 PM   #6390
shoevan
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i Estoril Blue

Hi All,

For what its worth, I initially got my Andream NBT B with 1.0.3, happily upgraded to 1.0.4 but I've been stuck ever since with the infamous 'burn error' and have been constantly checking this thread for details as to why.

Gave up waiting as I really wanted automatic android auto connection, so gathered up the months of info and went along.

Tried 4 separate USB sticks, all freshly (quick) formatted fat32 on windows (no other settings changed), all different sizes, mostly USB2 but varying in age, whatever I could find in the house got a try.

None worked trying to upgrade from 1.0.4 to 1.1.2. Then tried the reported empty 'recovery111#' file with all of them, did this on windows by right clicking on the USB stick root > create a new text document > rename file and remove file extension (.txt) > accept Windows warning about possibly being unable to read. Again all 4 sticks did not work with upgrading.

Then I decided to give the sleight of hand hack a try (cheers to mrx3n0n10, noted on post #6070 of this thread). The setup was: 8GB USB 2 Imation with v1.1.2, 16GB USB2 Lexar with v1.0.2. This worked successfully without a hitch, was finally on v.1.1.2! Decided I'll try to upgrade to v1.2.1 (put 1.2.1 on the Imation stick) from here hoping I'll have some more success with the new version, again no luck with the 'burn error'. Tried the recovery file again and still no success.

Decided I'll try the sleight of hand hack again but this time will upgrade from 1.0.2 to 1.2.1 (again noting Imation = 1.2.1, Lexar = 1.0.2). Again this worked great and am now on 1.2.1.

With all this said I'm getting the feeling it definitely isn't hardware related as I've used the same stick (Imation) to upgrade from 1.0.3 - 1.0.4 - 1.1.2 - 1.2.1.

I'm not entirely sure I did the recovery111# file creation correctly, although upon plugging in the USB the Andream would promptly restart, open to any other critiques of my testing.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 04:56 PM   #6391
ImpX
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Thank you for the answers.

BTW when the phone is plugged in via the usb to the mmi unit, does it charge the phone? if so why does android auto still drain the battery (is this when it is in wireless mode)?
I never used the wired mode- I have the USB hidden behind the trim that is underneath the Clima control.

I use pixel 4 and have 10w wireless charger craddle in car, which when playing music & navigation is not exactly able to charge the phone....

However no big issue, I am able to make 3 hrs drives with navigation without loosing the phone...
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      02-05-2021, 11:21 PM   #6392
MHF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Sedan

Anyone know where I can pickup some torx t20 screws that hold the screen in? Took them out to check what LVDS cable I had, and dropped one inside the dash somewhere trying to put it back on
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 02:21 AM   #6393
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHF30 View Post
Anyone know where I can pickup some torx t20 screws that hold the screen in? Took them out to check what LVDS cable I had, and dropped one inside the dash somewhere trying to put it back on
Real oem the site for finding part numbers if you ever need help in the future and no one is replying.

But in this case I will try to assist you, If I am not mistaken these are the bolts that hold the idrive display in (they are the same on the nav units and non nav units):

1) Real oem diagram item #2: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=65_2356

2) Part number of said torx screw: 07149185673

These are quite cheap and you can either buy them locally at your nearest dealer or you can get them online.

Hope this helps you out.
MHF30123.50
      02-06-2021, 04:21 AM   #6394
Cruez
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 / Opel Manta b 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruez View Post
Just installed mine that arrived today.
Only thing that i noticed this far is that the lines of my oem rear cam seem to be delayed...
Tried some things,

Issues so far. Long pressing menu button does not bring up the mmi screen after some tries.
Mmi plays in the back but cannot get the screen back on. Ignition off and on and it works again.

Phone.i use oem setting. I can only hear sound from the phone when i first used the steering wheel connector and little screen in dash...
After that i can control in carplay and dial from there perfectly.

All rest seems to work. Auto day night works with lights of the car.

Suggestions how to fix above issues without losing other functionality?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 05:03 AM   #6395
Rasoul77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i F30

Quote:
Tried some things,

Issues so far. Long pressing menu button does not bring up the mmi screen after some tries.
Mmi plays in the back but cannot get the screen back on. Ignition off and on and it works again.

Phone.i use oem setting. I can only hear sound from the phone when i first used the steering wheel connector and little screen in dash...

Thx
What is your car's HEAD-UNIT / display size?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 05:23 AM   #6396
Cruez
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasoul77 View Post
Quote:
Tried some things,

Thx
What is your car's HEAD-UNIT / display size?
Thats 8,8 i think?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 06:38 AM   #6397
AllMtW
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 LCI 520xd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoevan View Post
Hi All,

For what its worth, I initially got my Andream NBT B with 1.0.3, happily upgraded to 1.0.4 but I've been stuck ever since with the infamous 'burn error' and have been constantly checking this thread for details as to why.

Gave up waiting as I really wanted automatic android auto connection, so gathered up the months of info and went along.

Tried 4 separate USB sticks, all freshly (quick) formatted fat32 on windows (no other settings changed), all different sizes, mostly USB2 but varying in age, whatever I could find in the house got a try.

None worked trying to upgrade from 1.0.4 to 1.1.2. Then tried the reported empty 'recovery111#' file with all of them, did this on windows by right clicking on the USB stick root > create a new text document > rename file and remove file extension (.txt) > accept Windows warning about possibly being unable to read. Again all 4 sticks did not work with upgrading.

Then I decided to give the sleight of hand hack a try (cheers to mrx3n0n10, noted on post #6070 of this thread). The setup was: 8GB USB 2 Imation with v1.1.2, 16GB USB2 Lexar with v1.0.2. This worked successfully without a hitch, was finally on v.1.1.2! Decided I'll try to upgrade to v1.2.1 (put 1.2.1 on the Imation stick) from here hoping I'll have some more success with the new version, again no luck with the 'burn error'. Tried the recovery file again and still no success.

Decided I'll try the sleight of hand hack again but this time will upgrade from 1.0.2 to 1.2.1 (again noting Imation = 1.2.1, Lexar = 1.0.2). Again this worked great and am now on 1.2.1.

With all this said I'm getting the feeling it definitely isn't hardware related as I've used the same stick (Imation) to upgrade from 1.0.3 - 1.0.4 - 1.1.2 - 1.2.1.

I'm not entirely sure I did the recovery111# file creation correctly, although upon plugging in the USB the Andream would promptly restart, open to any other critiques of my testing.
Thank you so much shoevan and mrx3n0n10 the 'recovery111#' and (soft) force update methods did not work, but this did!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 07:21 AM   #6398
Cruez
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzogt View Post
I've given up on updating it. 1.1.2 has widescren fix and autostart for AA. The only thing that's left to fix for my use are the initial connecting issues and after an hour the lag/freeze problem.
Andream B on ID4 F30, using Android Auto (AA)

I recently went from 1.0.4 (with widescreen fix) through 1.1.2 to 1.1.5.

The update

It did not allow to update directly from 1.0.4 ->1.1.5 . (Got burn error and contact factory. After restart it solved itself and stayed on 1.0.4)
I had to do 1.0.4 ->1.1.2 ->1.1.5

1. The 1.0.4. - 1.1.2 went smoothly.
2. The 1.1.2 - 1.1.5 (I deleted the 1.1.2 file from usb and copied 1.1.5 - it did not work. It started the updating process, immediately shown "Burn success", but did not change the version. So I formatted the usb disk and then updated to 1.1.5 successfully. It was weird, it appeared as if the box stored the information about sucessful update somewhere on flash drive.)

I used some Promo USB stick(no name, just some company logo on it) 16GB, formatted to FAT32 on Mac OS, MBR.

The changes I noticed

I used 1.1.2 for few hours, - it fixed the annoying AA connection prompt - but I still had to manually go to AA by holding the menu button.
The 1.1.5 further updated the the AA auto-connect - I just get to car and in a while it auto-connects and switches the screen from BMW infotainment to AA.
Furthermore the 1.1.5 fixes the graphic glitches which the box had while showing light colors (e.q. pixelation). It was very noticable on the 8.8 screen in my opinion. The icons and street adresses in Waze also appear to be bigger slightly. Also the multiple sound options + the google assistant voice no longer distorts. All in all I consider the 1.1.5 pretty significant for AA.

The only outstanding issue I see is the Day/Night not changing automatically (I am absolutly unable to change the Waze map from Day mode to Night even manually) - I would appreciate any suggestion how to fix that.

Also Tidal(Hifi subscription) seems to have much better sound quality then Spotify(Premium subscription) on Harman Kardon audio system through Android auto...
Solved the noght day mode yet?

No such option like in 1.1.2?

Note that in carplay setting itself you also have such option? Mayby both have to be enabled?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 07:37 AM   #6399
SwordER
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i

Are there any special requirements to switch from custom SW back to OEM? Like MCU flash first or etc..
Carlinkit.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 07:40 AM   #6400
somone
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 118

Hi all, just to update on the wheel setting not being persistent. I contacted the seller and gave me the B2R115 version. I updated to that and the problem still exists

Regarding the problems you are facing with the software update let me tell you what I did and worked first time. 8GB usb flash drive. Format under Linux with fdisk, 1 primary partition, type WIN95 FAT32 and then format with mkfs.vfat -F 32. Then copied the update file to the flash drive under linux as well
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 08:31 AM   #6401
ckarv
Private
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarv View Post
From an earlier post, not sure if it makes a difference. I'll try the recovery111# approach today as well, upgrading from 1.1.2 -> 1.2.1. Got the burn error when attempting to do it the normal way.
Burn error with the recovery-file approach. I guess it'll be the downgrade route next (1.1.2 -> 1.0.2 -> 1.2.1).

Update: It worked. Now on 1.2.1. Is there an explanation somewhere on what all of the different audio settings do? 😬

First one is main volume it seems (Spotify etc)
Alert seems to be Google Assistant.

What are "Speech", "Music"?

Are they different for AA/Carplay?

Last edited by ckarv; 02-06-2021 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 10:11 AM   #6402
blondophile
Registered
Rep
Drives: M135IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens0619 View Post
Do you have automatic parking and unplugged the battery?
If so you need to reset pdc by compltely turn steering wheel to left and right
Thank you so Much !!!
I spent an hour, I thought I damage the fibers ...
Appreciate 0