F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Newbie in town: MPPK specs and install
ARMA SPEED

01-09-2018, 06:01 PM   #1
gugga4u
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i XDrive M-Sport

Newbie in town: MPPK specs and install

Greetings!

Purchased my first bimmer - 2014 435i XDrive with M-Sport pkg - which is a single owner, lease return with only 25K miles on it. I'm interested in mod'ing the car and Googling, I came to this site. So, I have some basic questions.

According to the post below, installing MPPK, Sport display BEFORE and AFTER... went from 320/320 to 400/400 on an 8-Speed automatic:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=928281

However, MPPK specs say that HP increases to 320, and Torque to 332 as shown in the link below:

https://getbmwparts.com/partlocator/...gid=4462&tab=1

So, has the bimmer post mis-stated the gain from MPPK or getbmwparts.com has incorrect specs?

Has someone local to New England installed MPPK? If so, can you please share your experience as to gains in HP, Torque and Exhaust sound, and of course the install experience from which ever shop you had it installed?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 08:02 PM   #2
Simmadown115
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Her:14 ESII 335iM /Me:15 SS M3

MPPK and Exhaust was the best thing we did to my wife's 335i Xdrive. She's auto and we've smoked C6 Vettes off the line almost up to 100mph+. The exhaust dump between gears and the backfires are so unique, she gets so much attention from it.

The noise it makes after it breaks in is amazing. I borrow hers just to hear it because the overrun is amazing compared to the stock noise my F80 makes. Only thing I like more is the Competition Package noise on the M3.

The HP numbers depend if you have the electronic wastegate and if you're auto. The power is better, but MPPK is only the first step. I would recommend going Dinan after that. MPPK is required to do any power modding to these cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 08:17 PM   #3
gugga4u
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmadown115 View Post
MPPK and Exhaust was the best thing we did to my wife's 335i Xdrive. She's auto and we've smoked C6 Vettes off the line almost up to 100mph+. The exhaust dump between gears and the backfires are so unique, she gets so much attention from it.
Where did you go to get the MPPK and Exhaust installed? Maybe I'll go to the same shop. I see you're in NH which is doable, even though I'd prefer someone in Boston, or south of Boston.

Quote:
The noise it makes after it breaks in is amazing. I borrow hers just to hear it because the overrun is amazing compared to the stock noise my F80 makes. Only thing I like more is the Competition Package noise on the M3.
Thanks for sharing, surely excited to hear that you can smoke Vettes with this mod!

Quote:
The HP numbers depend if you have the electronic wastegate and if you're auto. The power is better, but MPPK is only the first step. I would recommend going Dinan after that. MPPK is required to do any power modding to these cars.
Hmm, Dinan Stage 1 can go straight on WITHOUT the need for MPPK. Please look at Dinan Website and let me know if I'm reading this wrong:

https://www.dinancars.com/product/d4...435i%20xDrive/

My car is an 8-speed Auto. However, I do not know if it has electronic wastegate or not. Can you recommend a way for me to check?

Regards.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #4
Phil2thejay
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 N26 M-Sport

Welcome, congrats on the purchase. If you have a facebook, join us on our MassBMW page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MassBMW/

If interested on making more HP than what MPPK has to offer feel free to message me. Completely understand if you want to remain under warranty though.

Appreciate 1
huey0.00
      01-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #5
gugga4u
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2thejay View Post
Welcome, congrats on the purchase. If you have a facebook, join us on our MassBMW page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MassBMW/

If interested on making more HP than what MPPK has to offer feel free to message me. Completely understand if you want to remain under warranty though.
I'm definitely interested in talking to you. However, my car is under factory warranty (+ maintenance plan) until Aug 2018. I'd like to understand the pros/cons of what you have to offer and then make an informed decision. What's the best way to reach out to you - maybe a phone call?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #6
Phil2thejay
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugga4u View Post
I'm definitely interested in talking to you. However, my car is under factory warranty (+ maintenance plan) until Aug 2018. I'd like to understand the pros/cons of what you have to offer and then make an informed decision. What's the best way to reach out to you - maybe a phone call?

Thanks
jairomvp182 is the guy to talk to about an aftermarket tune option that a lot of the M3/4/5 guys have gone to with proven numbers on the dyno and the 1/4 mile.

I currently have a 328 and will be getting a tune from him in the near future / spring.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 05:39 AM   #7
jairomvp182
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC

Welcome to the club brother,

let me say this, if you want to play hard and safe you must spend, another thing i learned is not to be a numbers guy, peak numbers means nothing if your powerband is shit, that is why not all tuners are good, one can yield high peak numbers and drop the powerband early, my car for instance is around 650whp, and it keeps making good power on powerband, the video bellow shows you when i went to mexico, i was filming 2 gtrs race, red one was full bolt ons and full e85 tuned, white one was 1000whp i heard, i was just on my regular 93 gas as i was not racing

i have done 7k miles raced on track several times with 0 issues, again anyone can make numbers but no real results, kevin baldi is a low key person but produces very fast cars, as matter of fact the day i went to tune my car one of his customers f80m3 went 10.3 the day before and he was driving the car like it was just a regular m3.
11 E92 335xi 12.5@113MPH,362whp/438wtq GONE http://www.youtube.com/c/jairomvp
Instagram:Jairomvp
Appreciate 1
huey0.00
      01-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #8
gugga4u
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jairomvp182 View Post

let me say this, if you want to play hard and safe you must spend, another thing i learned is not to be a numbers guy, peak numbers means nothing if your powerband is shit, that is why not all tuners are good, one can yield high peak numbers and drop the powerband early, my car for instance is around 650whp, and it keeps making good power on powerband, the video bellow shows you when i went to mexico, i was filming 2 gtrs race, red one was full bolt ons and full e85 tuned, white one was 1000whp i heard, i was just on my regular 93 gas as i was not racing

i have done 7k miles raced on track several times with 0 issues, again anyone can make numbers but no real results, kevin baldi is a low key person but produces very fast cars, as matter of fact the day i went to tune my car one of his customers f80m3 went 10.3 the day before and he was driving the car like it was just a regular m3.
Awesome video, loved it! However, I have a pretty simple and straight forward requirement b/c of which I do not need that much power

When I was car shopping, I was looking for either 435 or S6. What I loved about S6 is that it is 335HP (35 more than BMW), and the exhaust sounds deeper and better than 435. However, the 435 I found was just perfect and it would have been foolish to let go of this car. So, having bought it, I'm loving it .... .but I still want the additional HP and a deeper exhaust. Since MPKK gave me the needed HP and a deeper exhaust, I thought MPPK would be perfect

I don't want to spend a lot of $$$ to do all kinds of mods, specially when the car is under factory warranty. However, I do not want to waste $$$ right now, and then later when the car is out of warranty, spend more $$$ - in which case, I'd rather wait until the car is out of warranty.

So, now knowing what I said above, what are the recommendations? The options I have are as follows:

a) MPPK - Flash upgrade (+30HP, +32 Torque, deeper exhaust) $1500 installed

b) Dinan Stage 1 - piggyback device installed (+60HP, +92 Torque) $2200 installed

c) Turner Motor Sports - Flash upgrade (+59HP, +120 Torque) $1100 installed

d) JB4, COBB, etc. - piggyback device installed

Thanks!

Last edited by gugga4u; 01-13-2018 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #9
gugga4u
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Awesome video, loved it! However, I have a pretty simple and straight forward requirement b/c of which I do not need that much power

When I was car shopping, I was looking for either 435 or S6. What I loved about S6 is that it is 335HP (35 more than BMW), and the exhaust sounds deeper and better than 435. However, the 435 I found was just perfect and it would have been foolish to let go of this car. So, having bought it, I'm loving it .... .but I still want the additional HP and a deeper exhaust. Since MPKK gave me the needed HP and a deeper exhaust, I thought MPPK would be perfect

I don't want to spend a lot of $$$ to do all kinds of mods, specially when the car is under factory warranty. However, I do not want to waste $$$ right now, and then later when the car is out of warranty, spend more $$$ - in which case, I'd rather wait until the car is out of warranty.

So, now knowing what I said above, what are the recommendations? The options I have are as follows:

b) Dinan Stage 1 - piggyback device installed (+60HP, +92 Torque) $2200 installed

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #10
jairomvp182
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Thanks!
JB4 all other are posers, there is endless threads on jb4, ppk garbage, dinana same, turner is kind of ok i heard but again u dont want to waste money so why waste 1k on something that wont give you +60hp, they are all conservatives tunes, jb4 is by far the best, if you dont need power then save you money, spending 1k to gain 20whp just to saw you have it is not ideal.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 04:51 PM   #11
gugga4u
United_States
Rep

Quote:
JB4 all other are posers, there is endless threads on jb4, ppk garbage, dinana same, turner is kind of ok i heard but again u dont want to waste money so why waste 1k on something that wont give you +60hp, they are all conservatives tunes, jb4 is by far the best, if you dont need power then save you money, spending 1k to gain 20whp just to saw you have it is not ideal.
Okay, so you've sold me on JB4 (and that's where my heart was too!). I presume I'll run JB4 in Mode 1 and just enjoy the additional power and hopefully a deeper exhaust!

Can you recommend any shops around Sharon MA (south of Boston) who have JB4 in stock? Would the same shop do the installation too?

Thanks for all the help!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 05:41 AM   #12
jairomvp182
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Okay, so you've sold me on JB4 (and that's where my heart was too!). I presume I'll run JB4 in Mode 1 and just enjoy the additional power and hopefully a deeper exhaust!

Can you recommend any shops around Sharon MA (south of Boston) who have JB4 in stock? Would the same shop do the installation too?

Thanks for all the help!
i never seen jb4 sold at any stores
http://www.burgertuning.com/N20_Jb4.html

if you are willing to pay for a dinan then pay for full jb4, you will be happy with map 1 for a little while but then the need of more will come like it does to all of us, having full jb4 will benefit you for data logging, maps, and running a little e85 to make the car happier, you might not think about it now but later you will.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #13
gugga4u
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i never seen jb4 sold at any stores
http://www.burgertuning.com/N20_Jb4.html

if you are willing to pay for a dinan then pay for full jb4, you will be happy with map 1 for a little while but then the need of more will come like it does to all of us, having full jb4 will benefit you for data logging, maps, and running a little e85 to make the car happier, you might not think about it now but later you will.
I TOTALLY agree with your mindset that pay for full JB4 ($479) instead of Stage 1 ($379) - which is a $100 difference - so that at a later time, I may upgrade. However, help me out over here with some "legal issues".

The JB4 details (http://www.burgertuning.com/N55_JB4_...BMW_tuner.html) are good, however, the installation instructions (http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...33&postcount=1) say the following and a LOT more:

THIS PART IS LEGAL FOR USE ONLY IN COMPETITION RACING VEHICLES AS DEFINED UNDER CALIFORNIA LAW, AND IS NOT LEGAL FOR USE IN ANY OTHER MOTOR VEHICLE.

Since I want to keep my car street legal, I presume I CANNOT have JB4 installed? If so, then my only option is "Stage 1" (http://www.burgertuning.com/stage_1_...ce_tuners.html) which does NOT have any such warnings and/or legal issues? Please advice.

Thanks for all your help!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 08:40 PM   #14
jairomvp182
Lieutenant
Rep

Full jb4 don't worry about legal bla bla bla, some states like cali are strict on their emissions test but not here
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 08:25 AM   #15
Phil2thejay
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I TOTALLY agree with your mindset that pay for full JB4 ($479) instead of Stage 1 ($379) - which is a $100 difference - so that at a later time, I may upgrade. However, help me out over here with some "legal issues".

The JB4 details (http://www.burgertuning.com/N55_JB4_...BMW_tuner.html) are good, however, the installation instructions (http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...33&postcount=1) say the following and a LOT more:

THIS PART IS LEGAL FOR USE ONLY IN COMPETITION RACING VEHICLES AS DEFINED UNDER CALIFORNIA LAW, AND IS NOT LEGAL FOR USE IN ANY OTHER MOTOR VEHICLE.

Since I want to keep my car street legal, I presume I CANNOT have JB4 installed? If so, then my only option is "Stage 1" (http://www.burgertuning.com/stage_1_...ce_tuners.html) which does NOT have any such warnings and/or legal issues? Please advice.

Thanks for all your help!
Its more for liability reasons on their end. You can't sue them what not for your car not passing emissions or inspection.

You can have JB4 installed. However, be wary that if you car has mechanical issues and BMW catches you with it when you bring it in to get it checked out, you warranty will most likely not cover the issue/ repair.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 09:34 AM   #16
gugga4u
United_States
Rep

Thank you EVERYONE, for your feedback, comments and suggestions! You're a great bunch and I'm happy to have joined this group

Taking in to consideration that my car is still under warranty, and pros/cons from all the suggestions, I've decided to go with BurgerTuning Stage 1 because it can EASILY be installed/un-installed within 30 min or so - http://www.burgertuning.com/instruct...e1_install.pdf. This way, I can take it off myself before I take the car in for service at the BMW dealership and avoid any un-necessary complications.

Furthermore, my BMW dealership is a certified Dinon shop too. So, I test drove the 230 with Dinon Stage 1 - and I did not quite like it. The turbo lag is about 2/3 seconds, and even though I like the throwback when the turbo engages, I've gotten used to my 435 extremely smooth transition when the turbo kicks in and I don't even feel it.

So, I'll go with BurgerTuning Stage 1, and if I don't like it, I may return it with 30 days for a full refund. And best of all, it's a DIY kit, so I'm not dependent on any shop to install/uninstall it.

Thanks again for all your help!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #17
Phil2thejay
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you EVERYONE, for your feedback, comments and suggestions! You're a great bunch and I'm happy to have joined this group

Taking in to consideration that my car is still under warranty, and pros/cons from all the suggestions, I've decided to go with BurgerTuning Stage 1 because it can EASILY be installed/un-installed within 30 min or so - http://www.burgertuning.com/instruct...e1_install.pdf. This way, I can take it off myself before I take the car in for service at the BMW dealership and avoid any un-necessary complications.

Furthermore, my BMW dealership is a certified Dinon shop too. So, I test drove the 230 with Dinon Stage 1 - and I did not quite like it. The turbo lag is about 2/3 seconds, and even though I like the throwback when the turbo engages, I've gotten used to my 435 extremely smooth transition when the turbo kicks in and I don't even feel it.

So, I'll go with BurgerTuning Stage 1, and if I don't like it, I may return it with 30 days for a full refund. And best of all, it's a DIY kit, so I'm not dependent on any shop to install/uninstall it.

Thanks again for all your help!
Respect your decision, you will definitely will enjoy Burger. Feel free to post any questions if you have any issues with the install.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 11:55 AM   #18
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

This is what I suggest if you want to stay under the radar and in factory warranty.....MPPK, then stack it with jb+ or the dinantronics Bluetooth boost controller, which is essentially a jb+ with Bluetooth.

I run this and simply pop out the jb+ for service. Simple as shit and my 14 xdrive rips pretty decent.

Had jb3, jb4 Cobb Apv3 protuned on other 335's I've had and they were all awesome.....just make sure if you go with jb4 know how to pull that fucker out quick before you take it to a dealer. I got tired of that shit, tried Cobb, then got tired of that shit. So back to my 3rd jb+ (with the mppk and mpe) just for kicks!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 10:25 AM   #19
gugga4u
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
This is what I suggest if you want to stay under the radar and in factory warranty.....MPPK, then stack it with jb+ or the dinantronics Bluetooth boost controller, which is essentially a jb+ with Bluetooth.

I run this and simply pop out the jb+ for service. Simple as shit and my 14 xdrive rips pretty decent.

Had jb3, jb4 Cobb Apv3 protuned on other 335's I've had and they were all awesome.....just make sure if you go with jb4 know how to pull that fucker out quick before you take it to a dealer. I got tired of that shit, tried Cobb, then got tired of that shit. So back to my 3rd jb+ (with the mppk and mpe) just for kicks!
It's great to hear you've had MPPK and JB+. I want to know if your exhaust note made a difference with MPPK but without MPE. I don't want to spend extra on MPE, and am happy with JB+ .... only if I could get a deeper exhaust note, I'd be extremely happy

Does MPPK alone help the exhaust note at all? If so, any videos/audios of exhaust sound without MPE?

Thanks!
      02-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #20
classyfast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It's great to hear you've had MPPK and JB+. I want to know if your exhaust note made a difference with MPPK but without MPE. I don't want to spend extra on MPE, and am happy with JB+ .... only if I could get a deeper exhaust note, I'd be extremely happy

Does MPPK alone help the exhaust note at all? If so, any videos/audios of exhaust sound without MPE?

Thanks!
Okay so MPPK came with my car, but I drove plenty of non MPPK equipped 335's to tell you the sound does change, the exhaust overrun aka burbles are not there without the MPPK. As for regular sound at idle it's pretty much the same, same too with tame driving.

The MPE definitely amplified the burbles, people that hear my car love it but from inside I didn't notice much of a difference. When I had my sister beat on my car it sounded fucking godly. I'm xdrive and auto with the resonators and dp intact FYI.

With the addition of the jb+ stacked, the exhaust note didn't really change but now I can hear the turbo spooling way louder and he factory dump is louder as well. I love this combo and will be turning up the jb+ soon! Highly recommend this combo.

One this absolutely for sure, every damn 335 or 340 should come with the mppk, it is absolutely necessary to have this. I don't give a shit about hp gains and track racing, daily drivability and the overall car experience is completely changed for the better! Love it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #21
classyfast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!
If you want sound clips, PM me and I'll try to make a few for you!!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 07:48 AM   #22
gugga4u
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you want sound clips, PM me and I'll try to make a few for you!!
I tried sending your a PM, however, it failed with this msg:

classyfast has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.